Author Topic: Ray Allen Retires  (Read 11218 times)

Re: Ray Allen Retires
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
If you take the eventual NBA champion to 7 games in the Eastern Conference Finals (Did Miami just spot BOS a 3-2 series lead for the heck of it?) which included both a series lead, a chance to close out the series at home, and a 2nd half lead in the decisive game 7, I'd say you were a contender. 

What you do the season before or season after is really irrelevant.   The fact of the factor was that you were one of the final four teams left in the playoffs and had a legitimate chance to go to the NBA Finals and win the title.  You were most certainly a title contender that season.

All the other stuff is just superfluous nonsense if you ask me.

I agree it. It was a pretty silly stance. We did have a pretty awful offseason that really stopped us from having a Spurs like perfect smoothing of contention year after year (Which I don't fault Ainge for, nobody else accomplishes that). The fact is Garnett badly needed frontcourt help and we lost JO was at least a capable defender and brought in Milicic and Wilcox and nobody else. Add into that the fact that Jason Terry completely bombed and that is why our team fell off the map. In a perfect world we draft Draymond Green and Kris Middleton instead of Fab Melo and Sully and pick up Hassan Whiteside when he is cut by the Kings.

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
So when is he hall of fame eligible?

Player is supposed to be "fully retired".  So I guess the question is what exactly qualifies as "fully retired" by their definition.

Probably a few examples out there.

Iverson "offically" retired on Oct 30th, 2013, and he's already in the Hall of Fame.  To me looks like they just go off the last NBA season you played in.

Yeah, I don't think declaring retirement has any "official" status with regard to HoF eligibility. Ray will probably be inducted in 2019.

Howard Beck got back to me:

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thank you Ray

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you take the eventual NBA champion to 7 games in the Eastern Conference Finals (Did Miami just spot BOS a 3-2 series lead for the heck of it?) which included both a series lead, a chance to close out the series at home, and a 2nd half lead in the decisive game 7, I'd say you were a contender. 

In this case, you'd be wrong though... because Boston wasn't a contender that year.  They were the 10th best team in a lockout shortened season, got a lucky path to the ECF, got beat down when it mattered.   

And regardless of whether or not you think they were a contender that year (they weren't), the fact is that Boston had tried trading Ray in 2009, had tried trading Ray in 2010, had tried trading Ray in 2011... literally traded him in 2012...

“I was actually traded to Memphis,” Allen tells Datwon Thomas. “I got the phone call and [was] told that I was traded for O.J. Mayo. I was in San Francisco to play the Warriors. Danny Ainge and I talked, and he asked me how I felt about it. I told him I was upset, that I couldn’t believe it. “I said, ‘I can’t knock you. You have to do what you do for your team. I understand it’s a business [and] there’s nothing I can do about it.'”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/ray-allen-opens-up-about-near-trade-to-grizzlies-for-o-j-mayo-in-final-year-with-celtics/

Not only was Ray in thousands of trade ideas created by Celtic fans, but the team itself was trying to get rid of him.

Then, he lost his starting role to then unproven Avery Bradley.

It was already public the team was going to get Courtney Lee.

On July 10th, they signed Jason Terry

A day later, Ray bailed.

Ray likely looked at the team, saw there was zero loyalty from them, saw that he was now going to share minutes on a bench with Courtney Lee and Jason Terry, saw that the team was aging badly and had barely scraped together 39 wins the year prior, saw that the team was likely a .500 also-ran at this point, saw that the team was about a year away from blowing it up entirely and going full blown tank mode... and decided he'd take his talents to South Beach where a real contender needed his services off the bench.

Side note:  It was also well-known that Ray and Rondo hated each other.  Rondo was eventually exposed.  Ray was vindicated on that as well.

He was right in every possible way.   The team barely won 41 games and got beat down by the Knicks in round 1.   Ray was right to have bailed on them.   Soon after, KG and Pierce decided they wanted to be traded to the Nets.   Doc Rivers decided he wanted to coach the Clippers... and Boston went full-on tankjob. 

There should be no ill will towards Ray Allen.  Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for disrespecting one of the hired guns who gifted this sad sack franchise a title in 2008. 

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:17:35 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2016, 07:15:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks Ray and see you in The Hall.

THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x99mER-dzFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciLe9SUqVM

Best yet was his mom right here

consoling Spike Lee right after yet ANOTHER Celtics win in the Garden.

Wish you well, Ray, and look to see you on TNT, ESPN or NBA TV. One of the best shooters of all time.

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

In this case, you'd be wrong though... because Boston wasn't a contender that year.  They were the 10th best team in a lockout shortened season, got a lucky path to the ECF, got beat down when it mattered.   

And regardless of whether or not you think they were a contender that year (they weren't), the fact is that Boston had tried trading Ray in 2009, had tried trading Ray in 2010, had tried trading Ray in 2011... literally traded him in 2012...

“I was actually traded to Memphis,” Allen tells Datwon Thomas. “I got the phone call and [was] told that I was traded for O.J. Mayo. I was in San Francisco to play the Warriors. Danny Ainge and I talked, and he asked me how I felt about it. I told him I was upset, that I couldn’t believe it. “I said, ‘I can’t knock you. You have to do what you do for your team. I understand it’s a business [and] there’s nothing I can do about it.'”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/ray-allen-opens-up-about-near-trade-to-grizzlies-for-o-j-mayo-in-final-year-with-celtics/

Not only was Ray in thousands of trade ideas created by Celtic fans, but the team itself was trying to get rid of him.

A day later, Ray bailed.

Ray likely looked at the team, saw there was zero loyalty from them, saw that he was now going to share minutes on a bench with Courtney Lee and Jason Terry, saw that the team was aging badly and had barely scraped together 39 wins the year prior, saw that the team was likely a .500 also-ran at this point, saw that the team was about a year away from blowing it up entirely and going full blown tank mode... and decided he'd take his talents to South Beach where a real contender needed his services off the bench.

He was right in every possible way.   The team barely won 41 games and got beat down by the Knicks in round 1.   Ray was right to have bailed on them.   Soon after, KG and Pierce decided they wanted to be traded to the Nets.   Doc Rivers decided he wanted to coach the Clippers... and Boston went full-on tankjob. 

There should be no ill will towards Ray Allen.  Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for disrespecting one of the hired guns who gifted this sad sack franchise a title in 2008.

The lulz continue.

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

A day later, Ray bailed.

Side note:  It was also well-known that Ray and Rondo hated each other.  Rondo was eventually exposed.  Ray was vindicated on that as well.

The lulz continue.
Happy to educate you, bro.

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

A day later, Ray bailed.

Theres a lot of explosive stuff in there.

Firstoff you remind everyone that you arent actually a Celtics fan. I dont know a single fan that would call this proud franchise a sad sack franchise with out at the very least a qualifier.

Second, I think it is wrong to hold ill will towards Ray. He was traded here, he put in work for a few years then left. To him, it was a business arrangement. The Boston Celtics meant nothing to him.

Thats all well and fine. I dont blame or hate him for not caring about the Cs, however he must understand he will never be a legend here. He should never see his numbers in the rafters because to be a legend for this sad sack franchise, that Boston Celtics uniform has to mean something to you. It didnt mean anything to him, so he doesnt mean much to me.

Lastly, the Celtics could have easily won a championship that season. To say they were not a contender is the same faulty logic that says the whole NBA should just quit because the Warrior are winning the next 5 rings.

The celtics were 8 minutes away from facing one of the weakest Western Conference representatives in the last decade.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2016, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Thanks again, Ray.

Boston Celtics Legend in my book.

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

A day later, Ray bailed.

The franchise with the most NBA titles and hall of fame members is not a sad sack franchise , it is not this forum's problem that you named yourself LarBrd33 but weren't even born when Larry Bird first played for the Celtics or won his first title with the team.

Get your act together.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

A day later, Ray bailed.

The franchise with the most NBA titles and hall of fame members is not a sad sack franchise , it is not this forum's problem that you named yourself LarBrd33 but weren't even born when Larry Bird first played for the Celtics or won his first title with the team.

Get your act together.

Ouch

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

A day later, Ray bailed.

Get your act together.
LOL....

The "Boston Celtics" hadn't won 50+ games in the 16 years prior to the arrival of KG and Ray.  It was a completely irrelevant team.  It was the epitome of a sad sack franchise.  They had just finished with the 2nd worst record in the NBA.  A 24 win team.  A hot garbage franchise. 

It wasn't until our hired gun saviors Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen arrived and gifted us a 3.5 window of contending that the team managed to win their only championship of the past three decades.

Learn some NBA history and get your own act together.   Show some respect to the hired gun that briefly made this team matter after several years of irrelevance.  At no point in the modern NBA did the Boston Celtics matter - until KG and Ray brought back the long-dead Celtic pride that has carried over into our team today.   Ray deserves partial credit for resurrecting this corpse.  Clearly KG deserves a much greater chunk of credit.  And Ainge deserves even more credit than that.   But Ray absolutely deserves the respect of Celtic fans.  I find it utterly shameful that fans turned on him.  Just completely shameful. 

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2016, 09:02:39 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

A day later, Ray bailed.

The lulz continue.
Happy to educate you, bro.

Bruh, you get like 17/10 right now....

I ain't seen this much quality trolling since June down on the south side of the island, when the Walleyes were hitting.

Is there an award for this at the ESPY's?

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I urge Celtics fans still angry about Ray's departure to MIA to let it go

The MIA that we all love to hate is no more - with Wade's departure to CHI, Chris Bosh's untimely illness and Lebron's return home to win another championship.

To hold onto loathing about it all is unhealthy.

Ray Allen gave us some memorable times here in BOS...I wish we could cherish that.

Why can't we simply remember 2008-2011? Including the Shaq year? Because with RAY, KG, Shaq, Paul and Rajon this team was dominant for the first half of 2010-11 season.

It's poster's right to dislike him, but after a while we learn to let stuff go.

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I urge Celtics fans still angry about Ray's departure to MIA to let it go

The MIA that we all love to hate is no more - with Wade's departure to CHI, Chris Bosh's untimely illness and Lebron's return home to win another championship.

To hold onto loathing about it all is unhealthy.

Ray Allen gave us some memorable times here in BOS...I wish we could cherish that.

Why can't we simply remember 2008-2011? Including the Shaq year? Because with RAY, KG, Shaq, Paul and Rajon this team was dominant for the first half of 2010-11 season.

It's poster's right to dislike him, but after a while we learn to let stuff go.

I will forgive him eventually.

Did you guys see how KG felt about him when they played?

Dude was a straight up traitor.

He played a major role in getting us that ring, but dude aint a Celtic like Paul or Kevin, at all.

He certainly doesn't deserve his jersey retired.