Author Topic: Ray Allen Retires  (Read 11228 times)

Ray Allen Retires
« on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's on ESPN Twitter, should be a story soon.

Lot of negativity toward Ray here, and not without good reason, but he was a vital part of our 08 Finals and much of our 2010 and 2012 runs. Beyond that, simply an all-time great, and almost managed to retire as the greatest shooter ever til Curry blew up. Happy retirement Mr. Shuttlesworth.

Re: Ray Allen Retires
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I've never had such mixed feeling towards a player until Ray Ray. I was so angry when he went to Miami and held a lot of resentment, like others on this blog. But reflecting on it now, Ray was an integral part of bringing championship glory back to Boston. Without Ray, we don't get KG, and we don't get banner #17. So putting my anger and ill will aside, I realize how important he was to this franchise. And with that, I say happy retirement Mr. Allen. Thanks for the memories.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably the sweet jumper I've ever seen.    When he was hitting, it was quite the thing to watch. 

You'd be sitting up in the balcony and he'd release on the 3 and you'd start standing up just waiting to jump up & wait for the place to explode when it dropped. 

Obviously, the end wasn't pretty.  Still, he helped deliver us a banner and provide one of the more entertaining eras in Celtics history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
In the end he helped us get #17

So i can't stay mad
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yes, he was very important to our run. And if he didn't have a horrendous game 7 vs. Lakers in 2010 (or if Sheed didn't run out of gas and allow Gasol all of those offensive rebounds) and have just one of those 3's go in we'd have 18 banners up right now.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I've never had such mixed feeling towards a player until Ray Ray. I was so angry when he went to Miami and held a lot of resentment, like others on this blog. But reflecting on it now, Ray was an integral part of bringing championship glory back to Boston. Without Ray, we don't get KG, and we don't get banner #17. So putting my anger and ill will aside, I realize how important he was to this franchise. And with that, I say happy retirement Mr. Allen. Thanks for the memories.
While you blamed ray, I blamed Danny....lots of wasted blame,probably.  To one of my favorite players...your play has often amazed me, and always entertained me.  I hope you have peace and enjoy the rest of your life after your playing years.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Thanks for game seven of the finals Ray.  What was it 1-15 or something like that?  33 would never have come up dry like that. Greatest shooter of all-time my asterick.  More like John Starks when we needed you most, but you found your range for ol' Leflop now didchya? 

When we traded for ya you were averaging 26 a game, but your first yr. in Beantown you gave us 16 a game.
Greatest shooter my asterisk

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

To add to the mix feelings, I remember how unexcited I was when the C's first traded for him.  Not upset, not overly pessimistic, just kind of meh.

Oh we just traded the #5 pick, the next potential Celtics superstar, for a 32 year old All-Star, but not an All-NBA caliber player.  This should help the C's get back in the playoffs and maybe make the 2nd round and tread water for the next couple of years.

Then how quickly that turned  to "KEVIN GARNETT, PAUL PIERCE, AND RAY ALLEN ARE WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR!!!"

Quite the roller-coaster, good times.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Thanks for game seven of the finals Ray.  What was it 1-15 or something like that?  33 would never have come up dry like that. Greatest shooter of all-time my asterick.  More like John Starks when we needed you most, but you found your range for ol' Leflop now didchya? 

When we traded for ya you were averaging 26 a game, but your first yr. in Beantown you gave us 16 a game.

full of it you are

Ray was 3-14, while Paul Pierce was 5-15, whoopdie doo

Ray Also played Kobe on defense for like 43 minutes. Kobe shot 6-24.

We lost because Perkins was suspended, and also Doc Rivers is a horrible offensive coach

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Yes, he was very important to our run. And if he didn't have a horrendous game 7 vs. Lakers in 2010 (or if Sheed didn't run out of gas and allow Gasol all of those offensive rebounds) and have just one of those 3's go in we'd have 18 banners up right now.

So paul pierce going 5-15 was fantastic?

Not to mention Ray had to play Kobe for 40+ minutes in which Kobe shot 6-24.

The final score was 83-79 ... nobody really player great

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Maybe we can get Ray to be our shooting coach. No one better than Ray

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

full of it you are

We lost because Perkins was suspended, and also Doc Rivers is a horrible offensive coach

Remember that Ray had a brilliant Game 2, going 8-11 on 3s and dropping 32, then Artest/World Peace kneed him in the thigh in Game 3 and he was never quite right afterward, going 4-28 from 3 in the last 5 games.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
This is a pretty neat video I just came across: Ray Allen (UConn) vs Iverson (Georgetown) in the 96 Big East championship game. Includes Ray hitting a tough game-winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TQjBZ2Zt8

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

full of it you are

Remember that Ray had a brilliant Game 2, going 8-11 on 3s and dropping 32, then Artest/World Peace kneed him in the thigh in Game 3 and he was never quite right afterward, going 4-28 from 3 in the last 5 games.

Perk was injured, tore ACL previous game, but yes I agree with all the points. Ray did a lot for the Celtics and I admit we treated him like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and actually traded him at one point. You cannot put an asteriks on his name as greatest shooter because he went from man #1 to man #3. He got Bosh'd in Boston. As time went a long and the emergence of Rondo, we kinda shoved Ray Ray to 4th giving Rondo full time ball handling.

I know he left a bad taste in our mouths when he took a pay cut to sign with MIA but it now looks justified because he now has two rings vs KG and Paul's one.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62