Author Topic: Jamie Collins to the Browns  (Read 21005 times)

Re: Jamie Collins to the Browns
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I hope Bill's ego isn't behind this move.  Collins was the heart and soul of our defense.  Stunner.
He was a player who is gifted physically, but hasn't even come close to being the heart and soul of anything -- especially this season. I mean, he pretty much lost his job to Elandon Roberts.

NBA Comparison: Rudy Gay.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't like this either, but I am remembering the last trade I really hated. It was when we traded Moss away for a 4th round pick from Minnesota (If memory serves correct anyways). I was so mad and thought we p---ed away our chance at a super bowl over ego. Then I saw Moss do nothing with the Vikings, get cut for insulting the Caterer and struggle to even see the field on the Titans. Anyone else remember that?

I remember that, but I also remember the Pats getting punked by the Jets in the playoffs because none of their receivers could get open.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If Belichick lost control of the player, then it doesn't matter what he's traded for. You could cut him and there would be addition by subtraction.I'm assuming that his contract became a distraction for the player, and subsequently, the team.

Belichick drafted this super athletic guy from Southern Mississippi after they went winless. He was a diamond in the rough. He has since picked up guys like Mingo and Van Noy who were high draft picks at the LB position. Hopefully one of them can work out.

Thornton said it correctly: "They'd rather have Landon Roberts in the right spot doing the right things than Jamie Collins (an athletic freak) free-lancing." This is the ultimate "Do Your Job" move. Belichick wants control of everything. If Collins wasn't ok with that, oh well. I'm sure Bill will make another great draft pick.

Who's Thornton?

Jerry Thornton, goof ball on WEEI. He made a good point though. Bill is more concerned about a team following his lead than having a bunch of talented players doing their own thing.

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It almost seems slightly dictatorial to me, like he's just not afraid at all to make enemies. You ask for market value? You come in high? You're gone the next day. They are just not afraid of loyalty at all there. I think ultimately they don't really believe in loyalty, which is fine, but I also don't really believe in punishing a guy the very next day just because you can.

It comes off as a message to me.  Although part of the message is "I believe in you and your ability to get better and move on from one guy" and it's sending a message of "team first".

I still am not sure it makes sense to hurt yourself over a guy that wanted too much money unnecessarily.
It seems like the Patriots and the Red Sox both take contract negotiations really personally.
And between them they've won 6 rings in the last 12 years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There's also this, but it's Lombardi, so take it with a grain of salt:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2016/10/31/former-patriots-executive-mike-lombardi-jamie-collins-didnt-follow-team-strategy-in-new-england-at-times/

So the consensus seems to be lack of discipline.  Didn't stay in his lane.  That sort of thing.  Sounds reasonable.  Incidentally, I always felt that was the case with Chandler Jones as well.  He really was bad at holding the corner.

But even if that is the case, why not just bench him, let him go at the end of the season, and take the Comp pick in 2018?  Injuries happen every week, he could prove useful.  Or why couldn't we try to get a good offensive lineman or something for him?  There is a possibility of another trade where maybe this becomes more logical but right now I am scratching my head.

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2016/10/31/former-patriots-executive-mike-lombardi-jamie-collins-didnt-follow-team-strategy-in-new-england-at-times/

So the consensus seems to be lack of discipline.  Didn't stay in his lane.  That sort of thing.  Sounds reasonable.  Incidentally, I always felt that was the case with Chandler Jones as well.  He really was bad at holding the corner.

But even if that is the case, why not just bench him, let him go at the end of the season, and take the Comp pick in 2018?  Injuries happen every week, he could prove useful.  Or why couldn't we try to get a good offensive lineman or something for him?  There is a possibility of another trade where maybe this becomes more logical but right now I am scratching my head.
yeah i wish we could have swapped him for Joe Thomas but Id imagine the Browns wouldnt have done that.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't like this either, but I am remembering the last trade I really hated. It was when we traded Moss away for a 4th round pick from Minnesota (If memory serves correct anyways). I was so mad and thought we p---ed away our chance at a super bowl over ego. Then I saw Moss do nothing with the Vikings, get cut for insulting the Caterer and struggle to even see the field on the Titans. Anyone else remember that?

I remember that, but I also remember the Pats getting punked by the Jets in the playoffs because none of their receivers could get open.

Yeah, you have to imagine Moss wasn't thrilled with not being on an elite team like the Pats. Somebody as competitive as he was probably lost some focus.

This may be a reason so many players flounder after leaving the Pats (not just that they are on the downside of the career). It must suck having played for a perennial super bowl contending team and then going to a much worse team.

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It almost seems slightly dictatorial to me, like he's just not afraid at all to make enemies. You ask for market value? You come in high? You're gone the next day. They are just not afraid of loyalty at all there. I think ultimately they don't really believe in loyalty, which is fine, but I also don't really believe in punishing a guy the very next day just because you can.

It comes off as a message to me.  Although part of the message is "I believe in you and your ability to get better and move on from one guy" and it's sending a message of "team first".

I still am not sure it makes sense to hurt yourself over a guy that wanted too much money unnecessarily.
It seems like the Patriots and the Red Sox both take contract negotiations really personally.
They missed some chances too.

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
I hope Bill's ego isn't behind this move.  Collins was the heart and soul of our defense.  Stunner.
He was a player who is gifted physically, but hasn't even come close to being the heart and soul of anything -- especially this season. I mean, he pretty much lost his job to Elandon Roberts.

NBA Comparison: Rudy Gay.
I think Rondo might be a better comparison.

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Pats can get away with it because they have the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the greatest qbs. Even losing a very talented player in Collins for essentially nothing, I still think they're the best team in the league this year.

The Sox can get away with it because they do a great job acquiring and developing prospects and they can spend more money than 25 teams in the league.

Also it's entirely possible that there would have been no room for a deal with Lester if the Sox had been willing to negotiate with him, and I think it's likely Collins was going to the highest bidder, which wouldn't be the Pats, but in general it seems like they end up going for some vengeful tactics in the middle that IMO cross a line.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
The now infamous 28 yard run where Collins "does whatever he wants"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhoKmg2NRI

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
The Pats can get away with it because they have the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the greatest qbs. Even losing a very talented player in Collins for essentially nothing, I still think they're the best team in the league this year.

The Sox can get away with it because they do a great job acquiring and developing prospects and they can spend more money than 25 teams in the league.

Also it's entirely possible that there would have been no room for a deal with Lester if the Sox had been willing to negotiate with him, and I think it's likely Collins was going to the highest bidder, which wouldn't be the Pats, but in general it seems like they end up going for some vengeful tactics in the middle that IMO cross a line.
Ill agree with that.

But I think it applies to the Red Sox much more than the Patriots. Every move Belichick makes is a calculated football decision I believe.

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I would have loved Joe Thomas, but no-one is giving you Joe Thomas for a future UFA.

I mean, this deal is already a head-scratcher for the Browns, who just bought themselves half a season of Jamie Collins for their 0-8 team... not sure what they're trying to get out of this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:41:46 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 03:35:27 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So do we blame Bill when we dont make it to the super bowl irregardless of bradys brilliant performance? Or do we expect Barkevious Mingo to step in and be the ridiculous athletic freak (as he was drafted as?)
#JKJB