Author Topic: Jamie Collins to the Browns  (Read 20974 times)

Re: Jamie Collins to the Browns
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Gotta keep making trades for picks so the youth pipeline remains well stocked.

Brady is going to keep playing at an elite level forever, right?  Not as though at his age that any season could be his last.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Such is the Patriot way.  He would've cost $15 mil to franchise tag next year, and they just don't pay any one not named Tom.  I'm sure we will draft a 5'8" white guy that: a) performs 80% of Collins function, b) plus return punts, c) plays a few snaps per year at CB or QB, etc.

We didn't have to franchise tag him, though.  We could have let him go and picked up a compensatory pick (probably also a 3rd rounder) in the 2018 draft.  We traded 8 games and the playoffs worth of Jamie Collins to get a 2017 3rd rounder instead of a 2018 one.  There has to be more to it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Brady is going to keep playing at an elite level forever, right?  Not as though at his age that any season could be his last.
It's a good thing the Pats have the three best QBs in the division and various other talent

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Every year, BB does something that makes me want to scream, whether it was dumping Welker, nor re-signing Revis, etc. And every time, he has proven to be right and I have proven to be wrong. In Bill We Trust has almost always worked.

But I just don't understand this one. All he got was a pick moved up by a year and he of all people understands that the difference between a 2017 and 2018 pick is not a full round. He has made a career off of those trades with other teams.

I get it. I do. We couldn't resign him. I accept that. But if he's not our most talented defensive player, he's our second-most talented. How he could give up Collins for a lousy 3rd round comp pick is beyond me, particularly this year. Brady must be flipping out.

I'm really, really hoping that he knows something that we don't.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Bummer, though - I liked Collins and thought the decision was already made when we sent off Jones to Arizona. The hard cap in the NFL is really a pain in the butt.
We should have known back then this wouldn't be enough. I mean, we still need to sign Hightower, Butler, and Logan Ryan.

The cap is not the issue here. The Pats could have let Collins leave after the season, and likely received a compensatory 3rd rounder, which is what they are getting from the Browns anyway (a year earlier than expected).

The way I see it, there's either some locker room issue that we don't know about. Or the Patriots are about to extend Hightower, and were not planning to extend Collins, and were worried that this would create a locker room issue.

In any case, it seems like a totally dumb trade, but the Patriots success is such that they deserve a bit of a benefit of the doubt for the time being.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Financial decision and he's been up & down all season. 

Clearly, he was behind Butler & Hightower in the pecking order for retaining impending FAs.

The compensation kinda blows but the Pats were going to be hard pressed to sign all three of those guys.  Might as well get something for him while you can.  Rather than letting him walk.

Also, keep in mind that the league has changed the rules on trading compensatory picks. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
This trade actually makes my stomach hurt. Is this why they just traded for this Van Noy Guy.
Should really help there D> >:( >:(

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hey, you know what, when you have a very good chance at being the best team in your conference, if not the league, the right thing to do is trade one of your most talented defensive players for a pick.

Who needs linebackers to win games, anyway?

You can never have enough 2nd and 3rd round picks that are destined to become backup offensive linesmen and busted cornerbacks.

I hear you, and I hate the trade, but what Bill has done with 2nd round picks probably washes out as "above normal" when you consider he got Rob Gronkowski and Wes Welker for 2nd round picks.

and Jamie Collins, right?

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
To be fair a compensatory pick would have come at the end of the third round. Right? Whereas this pick is the Browns pick, so it's at the top right? And a year soon, which is important because Brady is going to die soon, right?

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I hope Bill's ego isn't behind this move.  Collins was the heart and soul of our defense.  Stunner.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
To be fair a compensatory pick would have come at the end of the third round. Right? Whereas this pick is the Browns pick, so it's at the top right? And a year soon, which is important because Brady is going to die soon, right?

The pick we get from the Browns is also a compensatory pick
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

From what has been reported it's the Browns Compensatory pick, so it is at the end of the 3rd round.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The pick we get from the Browns is also a compensatory pick

Which can now be bundled and traded with other draft picks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's a good thing the Pats have the three best QBs in the division and various other talent

Meh.  This ride isn't going to last forever.  We will come back to Earth eventually as all teams do when their superstar players leave or retire.  When Super Bowl contention doesn't feel like such a banal, run-of-the-mill state of affairs anymore we may lament all the times Bill puttered around the margins and accepted short term losses for the sake of getting additional picks and working the edges of the salary cap.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't like this either, but I am remembering the last trade I really hated. It was when we traded Moss away for a 4th round pick from Minnesota (If memory serves correct anyways). I was so mad and thought we p---ed away our chance at a super bowl over ego. Then I saw Moss do nothing with the Vikings, get cut for insulting the Caterer and struggle to even see the field on the Titans. Anyone else remember that?