Author Topic: Greg Monroe is a guy we really should be looking at right now...  (Read 10195 times)

Re: Greg Monroe is a guy we really should be looking at right now...
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Something that has hurt Monroe's value is that he never played with the right team. In Detroit, he played under Andre Drummond's shadow and in Milwaukee right now he's playing on a team with hardly any floor spacers. I think there's a strong possibility he would thrive in Boston but I'd only want him to come here if I knew he was going to opt out after this season.

I also want him only if he's the team's last resort as an asset. There are better players the Celtics can get, but Monroe would be the cheapest.
why would you want him to opt out? I mean does Boston really need to sign another wing like Gordon Hayward over a quality big man (you know something sorely lacking on the team).  Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely expect Monroe to opt out, I just have no idea why anyone would actually want him to.

Simple. I want something better than Monroe on the roster. I'd rather have Blake Griffin or even go after Durant again. Monroe is nice but he isn't elite. I want the cap flexibility for this summer. That doesn't happen if Monroe is on board for next year. That could especially be bad if it turns out he doesn't fit on this roster either.
Griffin and Durant are not coming to Boston.  Just not going to happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Something that has hurt Monroe's value is that he never played with the right team. In Detroit, he played under Andre Drummond's shadow and in Milwaukee right now he's playing on a team with hardly any floor spacers. I think there's a strong possibility he would thrive in Boston but I'd only want him to come here if I knew he was going to opt out after this season.

I also want him only if he's the team's last resort as an asset. There are better players the Celtics can get, but Monroe would be the cheapest.
why would you want him to opt out? I mean does Boston really need to sign another wing like Gordon Hayward over a quality big man (you know something sorely lacking on the team).  Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely expect Monroe to opt out, I just have no idea why anyone would actually want him to.

Simple. I want something better than Monroe on the roster. I'd rather have Blake Griffin or even go after Durant again. Monroe is nice but he isn't elite. I want the cap flexibility for this summer. That doesn't happen if Monroe is on board for next year. That could especially be bad if it turns out he doesn't fit on this roster either.

Well that's your opinion. Pretty sure many said the same thing about Horford last season.

Still, I'd rather the Celtics go after the big fish than settle for a smaller one. If the team has to settle for Monroe so be it. I won't complain, but I'd rather try and fail to get a superstar than just not try at all. That is how you achieve success.

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well that's your opinion. Pretty sure many said the same thing about Horford last season.

Still, I'd rather the Celtics go after the big fish than settle for a smaller one. If the team has to settle for Monroe so be it. I won't complain, but I'd rather try and fail to get a superstar than just not try at all. That is how you achieve success.
But Monroe won't come here as a free agent either, he already proved that.  So if you want Monroe you have to trade for him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 09:41:10 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

But Monroe won't come here as a free agent either, he already proved that.  So if you want Monroe you have to trade for him.

No, it really didn't prove that.  It proved he chose Milwaukee, but it didn't prove anything about the future.

Monroe would be a good fit imo, really good rebounder and passer, decent interior defender and interior scorer.  If you think of him as filling Amir's role, he's an upgrade.