Author Topic: Greg Monroe is a guy we really should be looking at right now...  (Read 10240 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Three games in to the NBA season, here are the rebounding averages of our four primary bigs:

Al Horford: 4.6 RPG, 29.7 MPG (5.6 Reb Per 36)
Amir Johnson: 4.3 RPG, 18.6 MPG (8.3 Reb Per 36)
Tyler Zeller: 4.3 RPG, 16 MPG (9.7 Reb Per 36)
Jonas Jerebko: 1.3 RPG, 15.7 MPG (3.0 Reb Per 36)

This has got to be the worst rebounding front-court I've ever seen, in my entire life, as a basketball fan.  It's so bad that I'm desperately praying for Kelly Olynyk to return soon so that we can get a boost in rebounding - no word of a lie.

After comments were made about Boston getting killed on the boards by Chicago, Avery commented that this is not unexpected, given that we have lost our two best rebounders (Sully and Turner) from last season. 

I like Horford, but he's definitely more of a jump shooter at this point in his career.  We need a big who can dominate the post and dominate the boards.

Greg Monroe has been demoted to a bench role in Milwaukee.  Today he played only 19 minutes.  He clearly isn't in their long term plans.  He's only 25 years old, he's a pretty much guaranteed 16/10 guy when he gets the minutes, and he's still got two years left on his $17M contract - an absolute bargain in today's salary cap landscape.

I know he's not perfect and he has his flaws (mobility, inability to stretch the floor, rim protection, etc) but all of those weaknesses of his are strengths of Horford, so the two complement each other extremely well.

A starting five of Thomas / Bradley / Crowder / Horford / Monroe should make us a contender overnight, and according to trade machine Amir+Young is enough to make the deal work - throw in a pick or two and you have a deal that probably makes sense for both teams. 

I really think Danny should make a run.

Re: Greg Monroe is a guy we really should be looking at right now...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:32:58 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I wouldn't be opposed. Except, he's gonna opt out this summer most likely. Are we ready to dole out big money for him? His defense is not good at all. Or, do we just trade for him as a 1 year rental?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:36:29 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I've been a Moose fan for a long time.

He runs the floor well, is a guaranteed double double guy and is durable as hell. And we likely could get him for cheap.

Not only would Moose pair well with Horford, but he would compliment Olynyk well too. Also, even though he has two years left on his deal, he can opt out after this year, which he most definitely would do with a rejuvenation of his career here under Brad, which would still maintain our cap flexibility for next summer.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 12:45:06 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Okafor is a longer and bigger Monroe...with a longer term contract and coming off a rookie year in a horrible situation to boot!

Okafor baby!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:58:41 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If he's cheap, then I'm on board. I think our own 2018 1st + Zeller, JJ should do it but I doubt Danny is interested.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:39:37 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I wouldn't be opposed. Except, he's gonna opt out this summer most likely. Are we ready to dole out big money for him? His defense is not good at all. Or, do we just trade for him as a 1 year rental?

I like Moose and I guarantee the Celtics could get him for practically nothing since Milwaukee has no place for him. Ironically, I fear he might opt in which would take the Celtics out of contention for a top-notch free agent this summer, and I'm worried about his fit defensively.

I've been proposing a Monroe deal since last year and I'm still curious to see if he would fit here. If Danny gets him for spare parts (ie Zeller, Jerebko, and Young. I love the Johnson/Olynyk bench combo), I'd be okay with it as long as he and Brad are okay with it.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:53 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Okafor is a longer and bigger Monroe...with a longer term contract and coming off a rookie year in a horrible situation to boot!

Okafor baby!

Except Philadelphia thinks they're entitled to a high lottery pick for Okafor, not gonna happen.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:02:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Okafor baby!

No, he isn't.

Monroe can move, can rebound, can defend (not well, but at least somewhat), can pass, can draw fouls, barely ever gets injured, and isn't a head case.

The only thing that Okafor and Monroe have in common is that both are quality post scorers and both have flawed outside jumpers.  Other then that they are chalk and cheese.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:37:05 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Doesn't fit our style of play at all, potentially ruins our cap space in summer. Also the rebounding thing is not such a big deal. The way we play means the guards get more involved in the rebounds while the big men box out. It isn't a reflection on the individual, it's a team effort

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 07:13:12 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Doesn't fit our style of play at all, potentially ruins our cap space in summer. Also the rebounding thing is not such a big deal. The way we play means the guards get more involved in the rebounds while the big men box out. It isn't a reflection on the individual, it's a team effort
It's a huge deal. If we were capable of rebounding the ball better; I'm sure that we would win games more comfortably than we are seeing right now. Those second chance baskets are killing us, which we e.g. saw against Chicago.

But I agree, Monroe doesn't fit our playing style. We must hope that Olynyk manages to solve some of our problems in the rebounding department.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's a huge deal. If we were capable of rebounding the ball better; I'm sure that we would win games more comfortably than we are seeing right now. Those second chance baskets are killing us, which we e.g. saw against Chicago.

But I agree, Monroe doesn't fit our playing style. We must hope that Olynyk manages to solve some of our problems in the rebounding department.
In the post-game press conference, Brad said that strong rebounding by our guards is "the way we have to play" as a result of our personnel.  So the answer is yes, we need better front-court rebounding.  However, Greg Monroe is not the guy, unless he can develop a 3-point shot.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:25:57 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

In the post-game press conference, Brad said that strong rebounding by our guards is "the way we have to play" as a result of our personnel.  So the answer is yes, we need better front-court rebounding.  However, Greg Monroe is not the guy, unless he can develop a 3-point shot.
big guys don't need a 3 point shot.  Somewhere on here I posted the top 15 qualified players for rebounding from last year.  Only like 3 had more than 1 3 point shot a game.  This notion that all big men must shoot is just nonsense that isn't borne in reality.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This has got to be the worst rebounding front-court I've ever seen, in my entire life, as a basketball fan.  It's so bad that I'm desperately praying for Kelly Olynyk to return soon so that we can get a boost in rebounding - no word of a lie.

I think we will improve as Horford learns the system.   Guys are not going to the glass when a shot is put up.   It is all about creating space.   Horford is still quite better than Sullinger is a bunch of other ways.  I too, miss KO.  It is an issue.  I think Smart will help too, because he brings a toughness to our squad.

Last night we had 42 and it was by committee.  Against the Nets we had 47.  Against the Bills we had 36.  This year we are averaging 41.7 RPG.  Last year this number was 44.9 RPG.   So we are down over 3 RPG.

We are shooting better with Marcus being out and Sully gone but rebounds are a problem.  We are playing faster, but you need possession of the ball to run. We need to draft a big for sure like Thomas Bryant or the Bam guy from UK.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

big guys don't need a 3 point shot.  Somewhere on here I posted the top 15 qualified players for rebounding from last year.  Only like 3 had more than 1 3 point shot a game.  This notion that all big men must shoot is just nonsense that isn't borne in reality.
It is the trend in the "pace-and-space" NBA, and also happens to be what Brad would like for his system.  We already have Olynyk and Horford as big men who can shoot the 3.  Porzingis obviously shoot the 3, but even Boogie is starting to take three's.  It started with the stretch-4, and now stretch-5 will become more common too.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Yeah I heard Brad saying that. But I don't agree with the notion that the solution to our rebounding problem is our guards as I don't see it being sustainable against a team with a good rebounding backcourt. Imagine IT and Bradley having to outrebound Andre Drummond or Dwight Howard... I just don't see it happening and it will eventually lead to our downfall against certain teams.
Jack of all trades, master of none.