Author Topic: 2016 World Series  (Read 22830 times)

2016 World Series
« on: October 29, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Ermmmmm...Wow Indians

Cubs fans are gonna drown in their fears if they don't at least force it back to Cleveland.

Impressive stuff by Francona and company.
Yup

Re: 2016 World Series
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
been doing it all season, glad to see my home city finally getting some national love.  they deserve it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ermmmmm...Wow Indians

Cubs fans are gonna drown in their fears if they don't at least force it back to Cleveland.

Impressive stuff by Francona and company.

Frankly, the success of the Indians takes the sting out of the Red Sox sweep ( a little).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I struggle to cheer on the Indians for two reasons:

1. They have one of the most blatantly racist team logos in all of professional sports.

2. Indian fans are, by and large, Cavs fans, and I detest Cavs fans.

Despite this, for some reason I find myself wanting to see the Cubs lose.  What is wrong with me?  Is it that, as a Red Sox fan, I don't want to see another fan base steal the mantle of "team that finally broke the long suffering curse"?  How selfish of me.

Yet I can't help feeling that way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm not going to do the research ,  I m not a baseball watcher ....just curious...but I see the Indians have an EX Boston coach .   He seems like a pretty good coach....why would Boston let him go ????

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm not going to do the research ,  I m not a baseball watcher ....just curious...but I see the Indians have an EX Boston coach .   He seems like a pretty good coach....why would Boston let him go ????

Chicken and beer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Chicken and beer.
TP, and right on!

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:08:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I struggle to cheer on the Indians for two reasons:

1. They have one of the most blatantly racist team logos in all of professional sports.

2. Indian fans are, by and large, Cavs fans, and I detest Cavs fans.

Despite this, for some reason I find myself wanting to see the Cubs lose.  What is wrong with me?  Is it that, as a Red Sox fan, I don't want to see another fan base steal the mantle of "team that finally broke the long suffering curse"?  How selfish of me.

Yet I can't help feeling that way.
You haven't paid attention to Cubs fans recently, have you?

Also, that horsecrap with the "blatantly racist logos" should stop. Last time I checked, a team name/logo, you pick something you view in a positive light. I mean, we can spend a lot of time about whether having a squatting white guy with an angry face is disrespectful toward the original settlers, for example.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Eh, I'm not going to crap on either fanbase here.   Both fanbases have suffered for quite some time when it comes to baseball.   Someone is about to get rewarded for their long wait. 

I can only speak about Chicago but the level of pink hat fandom going on right now with the Cubs isn't any worse than what we saw out of Red Sox nation a decade ago.  This stuff tends to bring the casual & even non-sports fans out of the woodwork.  Civic pride more than anything or the need to fit in with the chaos around you.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Also, that horsecrap with the "blatantly racist logos" should stop. Last time I checked, a team name/logo, you pick something you view in a positive light. I mean, we can spend a lot of time about whether having a squatting white guy with an angry face is disrespectful toward the original settlers, for example.

What’s wrong with it? What’s wrong with it is that it perpetuates the subjugation of real human beings who still exist. Tuesday night, some 40,000 people in the ballpark and millions more at home will watch a franchise that reduces an entire race of people to a cartoon character.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/cleveland-indians-world-series-chief-wahoo-logo-racist-mlb

From Cleveland.com:

Chief Wahoo, the racist logo that represents our city's baseball team, has become its own storyline in the 2016 World Series.

Chief Wahoo and the team's owners deserve every bit of the attention.

National news organization, including The New York Times, ESPN and others, have highlighted the long-standing debate over our red-faced, buck-toothed, hook-nosed mascot that some Native Americans and others complain is the equivalent of a red Sambo.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2016/10/chief_wahoo_earns_deserved_neg.html

Here's maybe the best illustration:

Imagine if a German soccer franchise proposed to use as its mascot an exaggerated, cartoonish caricature of a Jewish person.  How do you suppose people would react to that?
- Mark Twain

Cubs on the cusp
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:50:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
of getting the gorilla off their back.

Re: Cubs on the cusp
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:01 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Yep. But not without some serious heart palpitations first.

IMO there is no greater feeling of terror in sports than watching close playoff baseball games. Especially do-or-die games with 108 years of suffering behind them. Such a brutal sport, things can fall apart so quickly, and there's no clock to bail you out.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm from southern Illinois in deep Cardinals territory. My FB feed is blowing up with a bunch of choke posts for the Cubs lol

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm from southern Illinois in deep Cardinals territory. My FB feed is blowing up with a bunch of choke posts for the Cubs lol

Cardinals fans **** posting about a team and their division? That doesn't seem like them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I can't believe Cleveland is about finish blowing a 3-1 series lead, with games 6 and 7 at home.

Oh, wait ... it's Cleveland we're talking about.

Can't stand the Cubs. All the national media have been fawning over them for months, and now we're going to have to hear about their "great comeback" and how awesome Kyle freakin' Schwarber is.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis