Author Topic: Amir for the Manimal?  (Read 2620 times)

Amir for the Manimal?
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:30:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It's not the sexiest trade nor is it the sexiest trade target, but what do u guys think? Faried is still one of the league's best rebounders, runs the floor well, is below 30, and his team-first personality and high intensity playstyle seem like a perfect fit for this team.

I haven't checked contracts but if I remember right, Amir is an expiring 9m contract and Faried makes 12m/yr for 3 years. Denver would probably be interested in clearing his salary off their books since their new, young bigs have developed quite nicely. And for us, with the salary cap increase, 12mn might not be so bad for a high end contributor. Plus, it shores up our rebounding.
- LilRip

Re: Amir for the Manimal?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:48:07 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Denver may ask for more.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:29:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 ;) Tp. It's a fantastic idea Lil Rip, if you can just get them :'( to bite. If I'm Ainge I'll tell then all right I'll throw in my #1 prospect James Young and will call it Even Brad Stevens.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:37:33 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 03:40:19 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I was shocked to find out that he's still 26.  Seems like he's been in the league forever.  I think it's a fantastic idea, but also think they'd want more than just Amir.  We've got so many assets that it'd be easy to come up with something.  Only thing is, them getting rid of Faried for a lesser player and whatever else we toss their way, if it can't be sold to their fan base as addressing needs this season, is sort of an admission that their moves are with an eye toward seasons after the present one.  It's really early in the season for them to do that.  Depending on how the first few months go, I could definitely see them doing that by January or February though.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I'd assume the Nuggets are in "rebuild" mode so I don't think the values are too far off actually. I can see Amir + Young + a 2nd rounder or two doing the job. Faried comes off the bench now for Denver and swapping him for Amir frees up their cap space for this offseason.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes = Faried's energy and athleticism would be a welcome addition. It would be a nice to have a big man who can offer comparable scrappiness as the perimeter players (Smart, Crowder, Bradley). Someone who will get after it. Faried would fit in well here alongside Horford as a starter in the short term and a 6th man type down the road once a more viable offensive big man is found to be the long term starter.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I actually like this trade somewhat.  Manimal does not spread the floor though.  He is a tad on low end of height and weight.  He has been averaging 14 RPG that means they will want a lot more.

He would be nice for small ball.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If Danny thinks we would be able to easily offload Faried for nothing during the offseason if we had a max player that water to sign with us, then sure (as long as the other assets needed to trade for Fried aren't too much)

The biggest thing for me is maintaining flexibility, so I feel that any move that doesn't net us a star needs to either be a stepping stone to one or maintain flexibility for later. This trade might fit that second criteria
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He doesn't seem like a good fit under Stevens.  He's almost worthless more than a few feet from the basket on offense.  On defense, he's considered a huge liability, especially against the pick and roll and in the post.  He's been criticized for prioritizing getting into position for a rebound over providing help defense.  He's also been rumored to be difficult to coach and someone who would have problems accepting a bench role.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rather have AJ.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Much rather have AJ.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not a fan of Faried, but I'd rather have Faried... in a vacuum.

Problem is that I don't think Faried is good enough to give up on the potential cap space next year for a max player.

I guess the question is, is Faried + whomever we can get with $11M, $14M, $19M give or take and depending on how Olynyk is handled would be worth it.

Personally I don't think so.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Amir is 29.

Agreed, I would consider a long-term deal like 4/60mill and go over the cap, but only if and when we land a FA who puts us over the cap already..

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Some thoughts:
1. We would need to include a pick for Denver to be interested
2. For this year, I think Faried would help us more. He helps our rebounding and probably is better offensively rolling to the hoop
3. I wouldn't be interested in this deal because Faried has 3 years left on his contract. Adding him would probably take us out of the running for a max free agent. Keeping max free agent space available for next year is more important than incremental improvement this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Denver's primary trade interest right now is probably looking to consolidate assets in a deal for a star.  They are interested in using Faried as part of a package for that star or to acquire assets who can help bring in that star.

If they go the other direction, I could see them being interested in moving not just Faried but also Gallinari.  I could see talks in the future exploring Faried and Gallo for several picks, including at least one Nets pick.  It would probably require waiting until Zeller can be traded on January 15 and need Johnson's salary.  Something like Faried/Gallinari for Johnson/Zeller/Jerebko/multiple firsts and a willingness to risk Gallinari leaving after the season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference