Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Hornets (2-0) Game #3 10/29/16  (Read 30323 times)

Celtics (1-1) at Hornets (2-0) Game #3 10/29/16
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:13 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-1) at Charlotte Hornets  (2-0)
Saturday,  October 29, 2016
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #3,  Road Game #2
TV: CSN-NE, Fox Sports SE, NBA-LP (DTV752, xfinity752)
Radio: 100.7 WZLX, WFNZ 610 AM
Spectrum Center

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG:  Avery Bradley
SF:  Jae Crowder
PF:  Al Horford 
C:   Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves
Jaylen Brown
Demetrius Jackson
Jonas Jerebko 
Jordan Mickey 
Terry Rozier 
Gerald Green
James Young
Tyler Zeller

Injuries

Marcus Smart (ankle)  questionable
Kelly Olynyk  (shoulder)  out

Head Coach:  Brad Stevens 

Possible Starters

PG:  Kemba Walker
SG:  Nicolas Batum
SF:  Michael Kidd Gilchrist
PF:  Marvin Williams
C:  Roy Hibbert

Probable Reserves
Ramon Sessions
Spencer Hawes
Marco Belinelli
Jeremy Lamb
Aaron Harrison
Christian Wood
Treveon Graham
Cody Zeller

Injuries
Brian Roberts  (hamstring) day to day
Frank Kaminsky (foot) game time decision
Roy Hibbert (knee) game time decision

Head Coach
Steve Clifford

Game Notes
After meeting twice in the preseason, the Celtics and Hornets meet for the first time in the regular season.  Both are playing in their 3rd game in 4 nights.  The Celtics are 1-1 while the Hornets are 2-0, beating the Bucks and then the Heat in a come from behind win.   This is the Hornets home opener and so the Celtics need to be ready for another team playing an emotional game.

The Celtics played in back to back games on Wednesday and Thursday while the Hornets are playing in the second of back to back in this game.  The Celtics won the series 2-1 last season with the Celtics winning twice in Charlotte and the Hornets returning the favor and winning in Boston.   In the preseason, the Celtics won both meetings between these two teams.

The Celtics were missing both Marcus Smart and Kelly Olynyk for both of their first games and both are expected to miss this game as well.  The Hornets were without both Brian Roberts and Frank Kaminsky in both of their games.  Kaminsky is a game time decision while Roberts is day to day.   

Roy Hibbert left their game against the Heat on Friday night after just 4 minutes with a knee injury and didn't return to the game.  He is listed as a game time decision for this game.  The Hornets will be a bit short handed if both Kaminsky and Hibbert are out.  If so, then more than likely, Cody Zeller will start against his older brother's team. 

Key Matchups
vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Kemba Walker
Walker has played very well in his first two games, averaging 20.5 points, 2 rebounds and 6 assists per game.  Isaiah will have a challenge keeping up with him on defense and he needs to make Kemba work on the defensive end by hitting his shots. 

vs 
Jae Crowder vs Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Kidd-Gilchrist scored 23 points to go with 14 rebounds in the win over the Bucks.  He only scored 3 points with 5 rebounds against the Heat, but also blocked 4 shots.  Jae needs to keep  him from having another big game.

Honorable Mention
Center Matchup
If Hibbert plays, he is a formidable opponent at 7'2" and can control the paint if healthy.  He finished the first game with 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 blocks.   Frank Kaminsky gave the Celtics a tough time in the preseason so if he is able to play,  the Celtics will also have a challenge in the paint.   Amir Johnson, Al Horford, or Tyler Zeller needs to come have a strong game for the Celtics to match up. 

Keys to the Game
Defense!!!
-  Defense wins games but the Celtics haven't shown much on defense in their first two games.  They have too many very good defensive players for them to allow teams to have high scoring games on them.  The perimeter defense in particular needs to tighten up. 

Rebound - You have to have the ball in order to score and you are going to struggle if you allow the opponent to beat you on the boards.  The Bulls out-rebounded the Celtics 55-36. The Celtics simply must fight harder to win the battle of the boards.   They won't win many games in which they are out-rebounded by 20. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team.  They have to play harder and fight for loose balls and rebounds and play harder on defense.  They must be the team that wants it more! 

Play Hard for 48 Minutes -  The Celtics can't let up and allow a big lead to disappear as they did against the Nets.  They also can't come out flat like they did against the Bulls.  They have to play hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer.  The Hornets came from behind to beat the Heat and so the Celtics simply can't let up until the very end.

X-Factor
3 Games in 4 Nights
Both teams are playing in their 3rd game in 4 nights.  The Celtics played Wednesday and Thursday and had Friday off.  The Hornets played Wednesday and Friday and are playing in the second game of a back to back set and had to travel Friday night.   Depth will be a factor as both teams will be fighting fatigue. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:57:14 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Hornets (2-0) Game #3 10/29/16
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Let's win this one! 2-1 here we come!

And TP as always to FLCeltsFan!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to alldaboston for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

Goooooooooooo Celtics!!!!!   

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Also guys, I was the first to post in the Nets game thread, and we won. Then I wasn't the first to post in the Bulls game thread, and we lost.

Clearly, our season will depend on whether I can click into game threads and comment fast enough. Don't worry team! I accept this challenge!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'll be at the game! I'll see if I can give some inside info!

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Also guys, I was the first to post in the Nets game thread, and we won. Then I wasn't the first to post in the Bulls game thread, and we lost.

Clearly, our season will depend on whether I can click into game threads and comment fast enough. Don't worry team! I accept this challenge!

Ok Boston. This season rests squarely on your shoulders!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Ok Boston. This season rests squarely on your shoulders!

Rest assured KG. We're winning this one!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 12:20:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

HEY!!!! Them there be fight'in words since I (eye) posted first in the Chicago thread.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

But... I will forgive you if we win this one, and I promise to never post first in a game thread again. Of course, flc will have to reward me with many, many tps.  ;D

Flc, thanks once more and a tp.

Gooooooo Celtics!!!   ;D

P.s. A tp to alldaboston for my teasing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 12:46:07 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

HEY!!!! Them there be fight'in words since I (eye) posted first in the Chicago thread.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

But... I will forgive you if we win this one, and I promise to never post first in a game thread again. Of course, flc will have to reward me with many, many tps.  ;D

Flc, thanks once more and a tp.

Gooooooo Celtics!!!   ;D

P.s. A tp to alldaboston for my teasing.

Lol, TP to you too. Trust me, when this works, it'll be magical. 81-1 season haha! unless i'm not by my computer...then GG haha

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 02:34:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hope this challenge wakes up IT.  He should be locked in against Kemba if he really wants to become a 2x all-star.  I'm optimistic.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
we need our defence to show up
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP FL

So close to having more TP's than posts. Lets get ya there!!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
First real test today.

Go Cs..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Hibbert looks funny in that pic

Last two games were both entertaining, result apart, I hope the trend continues.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jaylen Brown did not at all look NBA-ready in Summerleague and was the 2nd worst player on the team in preseason... this after most analysts said he was extremely raw, the likely #8 pick, and at least a couple years away from contributing.   

Considering that, I think it's wildly impressive that his first 39 minutes of NBA basketball have resulted in 17 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal with 65% shooting.   

Awesome sign.  I hope we see more of that tonight.