Author Topic: Can I start panicking if we lose to Charlotte?  (Read 8098 times)

Re: Can I start panicking if we lose to Charlotte?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
No reason to panic, but the first two games are showing what many, myself included, thought would be areas of concern for this team.

Again those are:
1. Rebounding
2. No shot blocking
3. No go to #1 scorer
4. No consistent three point shooting

The first two games have shown those were legitimate concerns for this team, and there isn't any way to fix them without a trade.  Boston just has to do what it does well more consistently, which should be helped when Smart and Olynyk are back and playing, and thus minimize the effects of those weak areas.

You're in trouble if you don't have outside sharpshooters to compensate for a lack of offensive rebounding. You have to have a guy who lives near the basket. That supposed to be Amir?

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
To answer the OP, you can if you want. :) No one's stopping you.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
No reason to panic, but the first two games are showing what many, myself included, thought would be areas of concern for this team.

Again those are:
1. Rebounding
2. No shot blocking
3. No go to #1 scorer

The first two games have shown those were legitimate concerns for this team, and there isn't any way to fix them without a trade.  Boston just has to do what it does well more consistently, which should be helped when Smart and Olynyk are back and playing, and thus minimize the effects of those weak areas.
I don't agree that those 4 things have shown to be deficiencies in the first two games. Not to say that these aren't going to be the teams biggest weaknesses but I didn't see 3 of the 4 through the first 2 games.

Rebounding is obvious and no sane person would disagree.

Shot blocking/rim protection doesn't seem to be as big an issue as last year. Although the shot blocking stat is flawed we do lead the league in blocks per game this year with 15 blocks through 2 games.

I didn't get the sense that the C's could have used a go to scorer in their first two games. It's not like they lost to Chicago because they couldn't score in the clutch, they made a run in the last two minutes to make the contest in doubt.

As to no consistent 3 point shooting we are shooting 34.5% from 3 through two games. Bradley is shooting 57%, Crowder is shooting 40%, Rozier is shooting 43% and IT is shooting 36% from 3.

My worries going into the season were:
1. Rebounding
2. Replacing Turner's ball handling ( I think you can see how badly we miss him in all the turnovers we have made)
3. Shooting (so far this has not been an issue)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think last night was an abnormality. The game plan was to probably let then shoot, and they hit the shots

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

Call me if we're like 3-12 or something....other than that unlikely scenario our already good defense will get better once Marcus gets his ankle right.

I believe he would've made a difference last night AND in the BKN game.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Given that we are only two games in, it's way too early to start making judgments. Having said that, after almost blowing it against BKN the other night and an ugly loss to Chicago, I am feeling neither the warms nor the fuzzies right now. The defense will be better once we get Marcus back, but how do you fix a problem like rebounding? It's not like you can put two inch heals or Sullinger's butt on anyone?

This should be a huge season for us, but it's starting ugly. At what point is it okay to panic?

Mike

They lost to Chicago on their opening night (Dwayne Wade night) on the road on 2nd leg of a back-to-back to begin the season.  Save for a lazy 1st quarter, the game was even.

so...No.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Again those are:
1. Rebounding
2. No shot blocking
3. No go to #1 scorer

1 and 2  - I get.

3 is wrong.

4 is TBD.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Given that we are only two games in, it's way too early to start making judgments. Having said that, after almost blowing it against BKN the other night and an ugly loss to Chicago, I am feeling neither the warms nor the fuzzies right now. The defense will be better once we get Marcus back, but how do you fix a problem like rebounding? It's not like you can put two inch heals or Sullinger's butt on anyone?

This should be a huge season for us, but it's starting ugly. At what point is it okay to panic?

Mike
i wanna say don't panic (I mean, panicing doesn't change the direction of the team, so go for it)

But normally 20 games in is a good time if we just don't have it by then
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
1) Second overall game of the season;

2) Second night of a back-to-back;

3) Away game on a team's opening night;

4) Missing our 6th and 7th men;

5) Calls weren't going our way;

6) Bulls shot the long ball much better than they normally would;

All of these things add up to a loss for us. When I saw this game on the schedule, I thought it would be a tough game, especially with Smart out.

We're fine. IT and Horford are still clearly learning how to play together. Horford is averaging the fewest fga since his rookie year, which validates us suggesting he's been pretty passive, so we're obviously still working out the kinks.

We have a decently tough start to our schedule anyways, so it should be a good test for us. I expect we have a solid game in Charlotte and then blow Chicago away in Boston with Smart coming back and us being rested and at home. It's tough to complete a back to back the first two games of the season, especially with all of the emotions involved with opening nights.

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Mike

Well, I'm already panicking a little after two games so, sure, you can panic if they lose Game 3.  ;D

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I like all the hype and attention the Cs have been getting, and I hope the players aren't listening to it.

As for the challenge areas, rebounding is the biggest issue IMO, and this has been my biggest concern for many years (they had rebounding issues even when they had KG and Perk; see: 2010 Finals).

Height is a factor, but it's not the primary issue. I see it as mostly an issue of hustle and common sense—the Celtics can't just stand around watching shots and expect the rebounds to come to them; they need to get in position, put a body on opponents, and go after the rebounds. They especially can't give up so many danged offensive rebounds.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

2. No shot blocking

The Celts had 6 blocks as a team last night and 9 blocks in the opener.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
yes. we all should totally and completely panic. there is no good reason under the sun why all of cb should NOT over react dramatically to another loss. none.

remember....

when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@mef730

Better save it for the playoffs

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 06:14:59 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I would have liked for us to have played our first game against Chicago later in the season. Both teams looked like they figuring their new parts out but Chicago's new parts are so talented (Including Michael Carter Williams) that they were able to accelerate the learning curve.

Personally I think people were way underrating Chicago more than overrating the Celtics. I still think that we are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference and things will start rolling once we can start stringing together some easy wins under our belt.

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 06:34:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I think it would be foolish to panic but equally foolish to ignore the weaknesses that have been presented in the first two games.

Smart and Olynyk are not going to correct the weaknesses.

Shot blocking is overrated.  That is not a problem in my mind but we should be playing better defense.