Author Topic: Need an upgrade from Amir  (Read 9685 times)

Re: Need an upgrade from Amir
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Amir looks long in the tooth, he would be a perfect reserve.  I think it is too early to do a deal, if we do one it will be at the deadline.

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Amir, Zeller, Olynyk, and Mickey are all backups.

I think it's best to stay the course, until we're ready to make another power move. Ultimately it would be nice to have Horford as our PF and another starting big. Cousins would be a great fit. So would Anthony Davis. It will take major assets to acquire such a star player, so I don't want to trade our chips for a slight upgrade over Amir. He's a good stop-gap until we invest in another major player.

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I love him.  On a true contender i'd say he's first big off bench.  But for us he is a guy who does small things from good screens, blocking out to dirty work rebounds, defends, blocks shots, good passer to good low post hook shot, pick and roll etc.
To me I was psyched to see his first games without the plantar issues of last year.

Ps if we are upgrading from amir we are adding in a few draft picks a guard and its cousins time

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Amir is a terrific big to bring off the bench.  problem is, he's starting for us.  we do need an upgrade, the question is, where can we get one that won't deplete the roster to the point where we've opened up other holes.

I'm good with Noel if you can get him for a reasonable price.
Noel brings D but he doesn't solve the rebounding issue and he certainly doesn't make anything better on offense -- in fact he'd make it worse.

If we're going after a philly big, I was open to getting Noel if the offense looked better than it has but basing this just off 2 games, I'm coming around to considering Okafor who's definitely a scorer and a better rebounder than Noel.  His D (currently) isn't that good but I'd rely on Brad/Danny to determine if that's something he's incapable of learning while considering him as a trade prospect

Okafor is a lot of things, but in no way is he a better rebounder than Noel.  Noel averaged 2.3 orbd, 5.8 drbd, and 8.1 trbd per game vs. Okafor's 2.3 orbd, 4.7 drbd, and 7.0 trbd in similar minutes (29.3 for Noel, 30.0 for Okafor).  Looking at rebound percentages, Noel is again better with 8.2% orbd, 22.2% drbd, and 15.0 trbd vs. Okafor's 8.1% orbd, 17.8% drbd, and 12.8% trbd

For reference, Amir averaged 2.3 orbd, 4.1 drbd, and 6.4 trbd in 22.8 mpg (3.0 orbd, 5.4 drbd, and 8.4 trbd per 30 minutes), and 10.3% orbd, 19.6% drbd, and 14.9% trbd

Neither of them is a good rebounder, but Noel is definitely the better of the two (although still not an upgrade over Amir).  Okafor would be an offensive upgrade, and Noel a defensive one, but given the assets we'd have to give up for them (and the contract issues with Noel next summer), neither of them would make much sense for the Celtics right now

Source: http://bkref.com/tiny/HHil2
Okafor is the guy I'd go after. He has much more potential on defense and offense than people would like to imagine and he is longer and bigger than Noel. Also, Okafor was a rookie last year and on a team that literally was the worst possible situation based on Okafor's weaknesses  physically and ability....which I believe is because he is a legit young BIG CENTER

He came in better shape already but is on a minute restriction and still not over the surgery....apparently he tweaked his knee a few weeks ago in scrimmage.

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If we want Okafor, what would we have to give (to a division opponent)?

For Okafor, I would think they would take:

-Smart and Rozier (esp at the end of this year when theres more tape on him), non Brooklyn pick
-Smart and Brooklyn pick
-Crowder, Rozier, Brooklyn pick

Could it cost less?

Would you do this?