Author Topic: The Boogie Watch  (Read 69748 times)

Re: The Boogie Watch
« Reply #390 on: January 19, 2017, 01:16:28 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So here's the scenario now:

Tonight's loss will make them 2-8 in their last 10, and they'll be tied at 10th in the West with New Orleans 1.5 games back from Denver in the 8th seed. Denver, Portland, and New Orleans have all been playing much better than them lately.

They now start an 8 game road trip at: Memphis, Bulls (B2B), Pistons, Cavaliers, Pacers, Hornets (B2B), 76ers, and Rockets.

Rudy Gay, their second best player, is now most likely out for the season, and not only did they fail to get anything of value for him in a trade after he told them he wouldn't resign there, now he will most likely opt in to his contract for the final year and get paid by the Kings to rehab most of next season with a general time frame of one year recovery.

Making matters worse, with the 76ers now winning and playing better, there's a real chance of them being able to swap picks with the Kings, who can't simply just tank their way out this year now. Further, if they get 11th or higher in the draft in their attempt to make the playoffs, they lose their pick to Chicago.

All in all - the Kings are now screwed. If they try and make the playoffs but ultimately come up just short, then they'll most likely lose their pick to Chicago. On the other hand, if they continue their losing ways and slip in the standings and the 76ers continue to win, then they'll swap pick places with the 76ers, which could put them drafting once again in the latter half of the lottery.

I wonder if this makes them actually consider a trade now with how good the Brooklyn pick looks and the fact that it'd give them a for sure shot at a top pick.

« Reply #391 on: January 19, 2017, 01:47:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Tonight's loss will make them 2-8 in their last 10, and they'll be tied at 10th in the West with New Orleans 1.5 games back from Denver in the 8th seed. Denver, Portland, and New Orleans have all been playing much better than them lately.

They now start an 8 game road trip at: Memphis, Bulls (B2B), Pistons, Cavaliers, Pacers, Hornets (B2B), 76ers, and Rockets.

Rudy Gay, their second best player, is now most likely out for the season, and not only did they fail to get anything of value for him in a trade after he told them he wouldn't resign there, now he will most likely opt in to his contract for the final year and get paid by the Kings to rehab most of next season with a general time frame of one year recovery.

Making matters worse, with the 76ers now winning and playing better, there's a real chance of them being able to swap picks with the Kings, who can't simply just tank their way out this year now. Further, if they get 11th or higher in the draft in their attempt to make the playoffs, they lose their pick to Chicago.

All in all - the Kings are now screwed. If they try and make the playoffs but ultimately come up just short, then they'll most likely lose their pick to Chicago. On the other hand, if they continue their losing ways and slip in the standings and the 76ers continue to win, then they'll swap pick places with the 76ers, which could put them drafting once again in the latter half of the lottery.

I wonder if this makes them actually consider a trade now with how good the Brooklyn pick looks and the fact that it'd give them a for sure shot at a top pick.

Great post.  Based on what you provided, they are screwed.  Unsure of what it means for DMC, though.  Despite his talent, FO decision-making may have been bad enough that trading him is their best option.  For that reason, I expect them to sign him for the mega-max.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #392 on: January 19, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Well, teams who previously had Rudy Gay tend to play better without him so I wonder if the Kings will actually start playing better now that he's out for the season.

Unfortunately with the new CBA, DMC is more than likely to stay put unless he asks to get traded.

« Reply #393 on: January 19, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Great post.  Based on what you provided, they are screwed.  Unsure of what it means for DMC, though.  Despite his talent, FO decision-making may have been bad enough that trading him is their best option.  For that reason, I expect them to sign him for the mega-max.

Lol for real. You should read the comments over at Sactown Royalty. They really "love" their FO lol It's so hilarious to see such a large proportion of their fanbase on that blog openly talk about how terrible their team/situation is. I feel bad for Kings fans.

« Reply #394 on: January 19, 2017, 08:04:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lol for real. You should read the comments over at Sactown Royalty. They really "love" their FO lol It's so hilarious to see such a large proportion of their fanbase on that blog openly talk about how terrible their team/situation is. I feel bad for Kings fans.

They're easily the most incompetently run franchise in the NBA, and maybe in pro sports (Browns?)

How a team that bad could mortgage its future by giving up swap rights and a future pick is beyond me. I don't understand how a team can be terrible with every aspect of management. Trades, free agency, draft picks... terrible. And then when they do uncover a gem, they either let him go (IT) or waste his talent (DMC).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #395 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

They're easily the most incompetently run franchise in the NBA, and maybe in pro sports (Browns?)

How a team that bad could mortgage its future by giving up swap rights and a future pick is beyond me. I don't understand how a team can be terrible with every aspect of management. Trades, free agency, draft picks... terrible. And then when they do uncover a gem, they either let him go (IT) or waste his talent (DMC).
The draft picks might be the worst picks over the last 5-7 years of any team. 

I want to feel bad for Cousins but he some how likes being part of the Kings. If they ever do turn it around it would make for a nice story for him.

« Reply #396 on: January 19, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Interesting article on SactownRoyalty on the Kings' options moving forward, and it has a particular section on Boogie being traded with the author concluding that the C's are the only logical situation for him. See below:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/1/19/14323836/sacramento-kings-demarcus-cousins-trade-rudy-gay-boston-celtics-draft-brooklyn-pick

Option 3: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Blow it up. Send DeMarcus Cousins to a contender and get as many pieces as you can from him. While this sounds like the most obvious option, the Kings would have to walk this path extremely carefully or this could turn into an even worse situation than we are in now. The middle of the league is embroiled in average play and that’s resulted in one of the oddest playoff runs for both conferences. If the Kings trade Boogie to a current bottom ten team, the chances are likely that the addition of DeMarcus will propel that organization out of the lottery.

Draft Positioning Differential
Draft Position   Games Behind   Draft Position   Games Behind   Differential
2nd (Heat)   24   14th (Pistons)   17   7 games
2nd (Heat)   24   7th (76ers)   21   3 games
8th (Magic)   20   14th (Pistons)   17   3 games
9th (Kings)   19.5   14th (Pistons)   17   2.5 games
9th (Kings)   19.5   3rd (Heat)   22.5   3 games
9th (Kings)   19.5   7th (76ers)   21   1.5 games
For example, if the Kings dealt Cousins to the Phoenix Suns for their 2017 first rounder, a future Miami Heat pick, and a player or two, the Suns would most likely shoot up the standings and that pick would end up in the late lottery or as a mid-first rounder. Taking Cousins’ impact into account on any given team seriously reduces the value of most picks this year.

That leaves Vlade and Catanella with one option that’s almost guaranteed to be extremely valuable, Boston. The Nets have lost 11 games in a row and don’t look to be going anywhere fast. The Celtics improvement will have no affect on the value of the pick, so this is what the Kings must obtain if they are trading Boogie. If he is dealt, the Philadelphia swap may come into play as Sacramento will probably slide down the standings, but a 25% shot at the number one overall pick and a guaranteed top four selection is worth losing a position or two later in the lottery.

Possible Outcomes:

Worst Case Scenario - Management calls Danny Ainge to inquire about a DeMarcus Cousins trade. The Celtics front office, which is known for leaking advantageous information, spreads the word that the Kings are shopping D.M.C. Boston offers a pu pu platter of non-Nets picks and average players and we are forced to accept due to Cousins being unhappy with being dealt and his refusal to stay with Sacramento.

Best Case Scenario - Too many teams see themselves one piece away from a playoff run and a bidding war opens up for a player of Boogie’s talent. Boston realizes that they want to contend now and offer the 2017 BKN pick, a good young player, Amir Johnson as salary filler, and a future first rounder as well. For once, the Kings make the right selections in a stacked draft and quickly rebuild.

Likely Scenario - Boston includes the Brooklyn pick, a player like Terry Rozier, Amir Johnson and possibly another minor asset to acquire DeMarcus Cousins and Darren Collison or Omri Casspi. The Kings rebuild over time and develop talent like they should have been doing all season.

My thoughts
There are huge, possibly franchise shattering, consequences to each of these choices. Even making the most intelligent decision could end poorly for this organization. In the end, it comes down to trying to simplify all of those factors listed above into a few possible outcomes. Would you rather have the (potential) number one overall pick and number eight overall pick as well as a young asset, but lose out on the Kings best player in years who is in his prime? Do you trust the ability of this franchise to select the right talent and develop those young players or do you choose to keep Boogie, take the number eight overall pick, and try and build through free agency and smart trades?

If I had to make the decision right now, I would choose to deal DeMarcus Cousins. The return probably won’t be as fabulous as we hope, but I don’t see another window opening for this team with the few assets we have on board. Open up the trade discussions, look at the multiple offers that come your way, and make the best decision for the future.

If their best case scenario (and our worst case scenario) is giving up Amir, Brown, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and something like the Memphis pick, then that's an excellent deal in my mind. Further, if the guy's realistic scenario happens and the trade is Amir, Rozier, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and something like the Memphis pick, then that's an absolute steal of a trade.

I tend to think that we overestimate what it would actually cost to get Cousins if he's on the market. That Brooklyn pick is by far the most valuable asset that is actually available for trade at the moment, and I think that makes up most of the value in any trade for Boogie, especially given his contract status and the controversy surrounding him.

« Reply #397 on: January 19, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Worst Case Scenario - Management calls Danny Ainge to inquire about a DeMarcus Cousins trade. The Celtics front office, which is known for leaking advantageous information, spreads the word that the Kings are shopping D.M.C. Boston offers a pu pu platter of non-Nets picks and average players and we are forced to accept due to Cousins being unhappy with being dealt and his refusal to stay with Sacramento.

This isn't accurate is it?

That's something I've never heard about Danny and Co.

He definitely doesn't leak anything to Woj.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #398 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Interesting article on SactownRoyalty on the Kings' options moving forward, and it has a particular section on Boogie being traded with the author concluding that the C's are the only logical situation for him. See below:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/1/19/14323836/sacramento-kings-demarcus-cousins-trade-rudy-gay-boston-celtics-draft-brooklyn-pick

Blow it up. Send DeMarcus Cousins to a contender and get as many pieces as you can from him. While this sounds like the most obvious option, the Kings would have to walk this path extremely carefully or this could turn into an even worse situation than we are in now. The middle of the league is embroiled in average play and that’s resulted in one of the oddest playoff runs for both conferences. If the Kings trade Boogie to a current bottom ten team, the chances are likely that the addition of DeMarcus will propel that organization out of the lottery.

For example, if the Kings dealt Cousins to the Phoenix Suns for their 2017 first rounder, a future Miami Heat pick, and a player or two, the Suns would most likely shoot up the standings and that pick would end up in the late lottery or as a mid-first rounder. Taking Cousins’ impact into account on any given team seriously reduces the value of most picks this year.

That leaves Vlade and Catanella with one option that’s almost guaranteed to be extremely valuable, Boston. The Nets have lost 11 games in a row and don’t look to be going anywhere fast. The Celtics improvement will have no affect on the value of the pick, so this is what the Kings must obtain if they are trading Boogie. If he is dealt, the Philadelphia swap may come into play as Sacramento will probably slide down the standings, but a 25% shot at the number one overall pick and a guaranteed top four selection is worth losing a position or two later in the lottery.

Possible Outcomes:

Best Case Scenario - Too many teams see themselves one piece away from a playoff run and a bidding war opens up for a player of Boogie’s talent. Boston realizes that they want to contend now and offer the 2017 BKN pick, a good young player, Amir Johnson as salary filler, and a future first rounder as well. For once, the Kings make the right selections in a stacked draft and quickly rebuild.

Likely Scenario - Boston includes the Brooklyn pick, a player like Terry Rozier, Amir Johnson and possibly another minor asset to acquire DeMarcus Cousins and Darren Collison or Omri Casspi. The Kings rebuild over time and develop talent like they should have been doing all season.

My thoughts
There are huge, possibly franchise shattering, consequences to each of these choices. Even making the most intelligent decision could end poorly for this organization. In the end, it comes down to trying to simplify all of those factors listed above into a few possible outcomes. Would you rather have the (potential) number one overall pick and number eight overall pick as well as a young asset, but lose out on the Kings best player in years who is in his prime? Do you trust the ability of this franchise to select the right talent and develop those young players or do you choose to keep Boogie, take the number eight overall pick, and try and build through free agency and smart trades?

If I had to make the decision right now, I would choose to deal DeMarcus Cousins. The return probably won’t be as fabulous as we hope, but I don’t see another window opening for this team with the few assets we have on board. Open up the trade discussions, look at the multiple offers that come your way, and make the best decision for the future.

If their best case scenario (and our worst case scenario) is giving up Amir, Brown, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and something like the Memphis pick, then that's an excellent deal in my mind. Further, if the guy's realistic scenario happens and the trade is Amir, Rozier, the 2017 Brooklyn pick, and something like the Memphis pick, then that's an absolute steal of a trade.

I tend to think that we overestimate what it would actually cost to get Cousins if he's on the market. That Brooklyn pick is by far the most valuable asset that is actually available for trade at the moment, and I think that makes up most of the value in any trade for Boogie, especially given his contract status and the controversy surrounding him.

Gee, us? Overestimate?

In all seriousness, trading the Net's pick in a package for Cousins really should be a no-brainer. He's not my favorite in the world - his attitude needs major adjustment - but you can't deny the talent. Barring Paul George shaking loose, I think you have to pull the trigger if this becomes a real option.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #399 on: January 19, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Possible Outcomes:

My thoughts

Gee, us? Overestimate?

In all seriousness, trading the Net's pick in a package for Cousins really should be a no-brainer. He's not my favorite in the world - his attitude needs major adjustment - but you can't deny the talent. Barring Paul George shaking loose, I think you have to pull the trigger if this becomes a real option.

Yeah, it's hard to see any Celtics fan being against pulling the trigger on either of those trades, especially the one with Rozier included instead of Brown.

« Reply #400 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.celticsblog.com/2017/1/19/14331150/most-kings-fans-are-ready-to-deal

A contributor from Sactown Royalty (@Babygiraffe) has made a post about a trade idea.

I LOVE it. Idk if Kings or Celtics would do it though lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

A contributor from Sactown Royalty (@Babygiraffe) has made a post about a trade idea.

If The Kings had ANY Brains--they would deal him, instead of giving him a $40+ Million PER YEAR Contract for 5 years....INSANE.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #402 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

If Danny could get a deal for Boogie, Collison, and  for the 2017 Brooklyn pick, the Memphis pick, Rozier, Amir, and Zeller (instead of JJ), then he'd do it in a heartbeat, I think, and he'd win GM of the year easily. lol That'd leave you with a championship roster of:

PG: IT, Collison (who is an excellent pairing with Smart off the bench)
SG: AB, Smart, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown, Casspi
PF: Horford, JJ, Mickey
C: Boogie, KO

That's a really great bench to go along with a really dominant starting lineup that would pound teams down low, while also having elite three point shooters all around.

That's a major win if you can trade for Cousins and keep Smart, Brown, AND the 2018 Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Also, it's nice that when you use the Trade Machine---Zeller is now able to be included in any deal.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2017, 09:30:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

If Danny could get a deal for Boogie, Collison, and  for the 2017 Brooklyn pick, the Memphis pick, Rozier, Amir, and Zeller (instead of JJ), then he'd do it in a heartbeat, I think, and he'd win GM of the year easily. lol That'd leave you with a championship roster of:

PG: IT, Collison (who is an excellent pairing with Smart off the bench)
SG: AB, Smart, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown, Casspi
PF: Horford, JJ, Mickey
C: Boogie, KO

That's a really great bench to go along with a really dominant starting lineup that would pound teams down low, while also having elite three point shooters all around.

That's a major win if you can trade for Cousins and keep Smart, Brown, AND the 2018 Brooklyn pick.

I don't think Ainge or Stevens want him at all though (risk of being a big locker room cancer):

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/11/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_es.html

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/12/22/danny-ainge-from-a-distance-looks-like-there-are-issues-with-demarcus-cousins/

It's been a pretty long rebuild, I doubt Ainge wants to potentially ruin it by trading for Cousins and having it blow in his face.

I would obviously love him though, as you probably know from my previous posts/replies lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller