Author Topic: Horford's passiveness worries me  (Read 6455 times)

Re: Horford's passiveness worries me
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Horford is Tim Duncan light and I mean that as a compliment.  He takes 9 shots in a game, plays within the team concept, rebounds, blocks shots, great outlet passes, very good passer and defense.
Very happy with him

This. But I wonder if a non scoring big like Johnson is the best pairing for him.

Definitely not - ideally you have somebody like A Davis or Cousins out there with him, but since that is unlikely, KO is his next best bet. They can both score from all areas of the court and facilitate. If you think that the offense is unselfish now, wait until KO is out there with the starting unit.

I know that Amir has always started, but he likely isn't in our long term plans; KO is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amir go to the bench and play with Zeller/JJ instead.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Horford is Tim Duncan light and I mean that as a compliment.  He takes 9 shots in a game, plays within the team concept, rebounds, blocks shots, great outlet passes, very good passer and defense.
Very happy with him

This. But I wonder if a non scoring big like Johnson is the best pairing for him.

Definitely not - ideally you have somebody like A Davis or Cousins out there with him, but since that is unlikely, KO is his next best bet. They can both score from all areas of the court and facilitate. If you think that the offense is unselfish now, wait until KO is out there with the starting unit.

I know that Amir has always started, but he likely isn't in our long term plans; KO is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amir go to the bench and play with Zeller/JJ instead.

I really think that's the starting line-up we should end up with when KO gets back. Rebounding problem is not solved, but you get a pretty dang good offensive unit which could get a good/great shot out of every possession, as well as an extremely versatile defensive unit (I do see Olynyk as an underrated defender who rotates well and has great defensive awareness, who just cannot provide rim protection or great rebounding).

My main concern is the 2nd unit spacing in that case, with Amir/Smart/Brown all coming off the bench, I think we might really struggle to get easy buckets (even though the defense would be a lil better).
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 08:11:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Very happy with him

Agreed. Need more offense from the big next to Horford.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Edit:  Deleted.  Posted in wrong topic. 

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I knew coming in Horford was not going to rebound, which I thought was OK as we had AJ next to him, but I didn't think I'd have to be worried about his offense. He needs to start posting up more and getting involved. It can't be on the coach to always run a play for you.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:54 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Horford isn't really a volume post player, but there was at least one time where he was in the post with Rondo on him and he took turnaround jumpers instead of backing him down.

I think it's pretty minor, but he needs enough of a post game that teams can't exploit him.

I also think we got him the ball and then everyone was standing around watching him. Al Horford has had a AST/TO ratio over 2 the last 2 years on the Hawks which is pretty amazing for a big guy, and he's had a lot of assists through two games. When he has the ball, the C's should be looking to set backscreens for open looks, or making cuts into the lane.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Let's put it this way. They sure do need a guy who can pound the boards.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
It should be noted that he's taking over 4 shots less per game than he did last year, which is his lowest overall fga per game since his rookie year, so it is a bit of a concern. However, he's still getting into his groove with the offense, so I expect it to go back up once he gets acclimated to our system.

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Horford is an offensive facilitator rather than a go-to scorer.
The team is shooting very well through two games and Horford's ability to create shots (via the pass and the screen) is a big reason why.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Horford is an offensive facilitator rather than a go-to scorer.

Amen!

That is why obtaining another legit C or power Forward was critical

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
We lost against in the 2nd game and now its time to play the blame game? Give it a break hes not fully adjusted to everyone yet, never-mind coming of game the night before early in the season when conditioning isn't superb yet.

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It should be noted that he's taking over 4 shots less per game than he did last year, which is his lowest overall fga per game since his rookie year, so it is a bit of a concern.

This is an important part and for me exactly not a reason for concern though.  He is just trying to be team first but he needs to get more shots up.  If he does, his scoring will come.  Really that simple.

Our offense is not the issue at all.  It's been good.  The defense and rebounding have been the issues.  Horford is making everyone better out there and playing well.  I think he just needs to look for his own shot more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Al Horford can ball.

PLEASE give him some time to gel with the team.

Let the team find it's groove, get KO and Marcus back and get a few weeks under them.

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Play Mickey.
Jerebko has been terrible.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Play Mickey.
Jerebko has been terrible.
Jerebko and Crowder can sometimes play real clunky. They don't have the most natural looking shot.

I still see a ton of value in both players since they play with great intensity but there are valid concerns with both of these players going through tough shooting droughts. They just don't have natural shooting mechanics.