Author Topic: Horford's passiveness worries me  (Read 6465 times)

Horford's passiveness worries me
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I hope this is just him getting to used with his teammates but I felt that he is too unselfish to a fault at times. Maybe Smart's return could fix that.

I saw some possessions of him passing up an open 3 and one with Rondo guarding him on the perimeter where he could just simply shoot over him using is length.

He needs to be more aggressive, imo. Whether it is scoring or rebounding.

Re: Horford's passiveness worries me
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:54:50 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Need to use him more inside as well. His outside shot wasn't falling yet kept persisting

Needed easy baskets towards the end of the 4th yet everyone settled for jump shots.

Only Isaiah and Brown were looking to score inside, it's still early so hopefully Al demands the ball more in those situations because he was disappointing tonight

Though he wasn't alone so many offensive boards for the bulls can't have that happening. Like everyone on this forum predicted this team definitely needs an elite rebounder and another scorer.

Terrible defence in the first q and the C's played catch up all night

Smart and Kelly will fix some of the problems but it remains to been seen if it'll be enough

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 02:39:15 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yeah I agree with you, although I don't think its passiveness, as much as simply not being involved in the gameplan as much. Whether it's Brad that has to run more plays for him, or Isaiah has to look for him more and play to Horford's strengths, or Horford himself has to learn to play to Isaiah's preferences. It's still early though, so hopefully he gets going soon.

It's just a little discouraging that it took all of preseason and two regular season games and he still doesn't look like he is fitting in perfectly yet. Meanwhile, Dwight is playing pretty [dang] well in Atlanta. We could definitely use his rebounding lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:40:52 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
He runs like a old guy.  Looks terrible.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Horford has been terrific.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 03:04:29 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
He's unfortunately not a guy you can give the ball to and say "ok, go score for me". you've gotta put him in spots to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcgLEY3k5AM

this isn't the best example, as i watched a lot of Horford film over the summer and there were better examples that i couldnt find right now, but it does the job. most times, when Al scores, it's off a set play. a screen, a pick and pop, a post up. they looked for him. and so far, we havent been looking for him. we should run more offensive sets for him.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:12:35 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah I agree with you, although I don't think its passiveness, as much as simply not being involved in the gameplan as much. Whether it's Brad that has to run more plays for him, or Isaiah has to look for him more and play to Horford's strengths, or Horford himself has to learn to play to Isaiah's preferences. It's still early though, so hopefully he gets going soon.

It's just a little discouraging that it took all of preseason and two regular season games and he still doesn't look like he is fitting in perfectly yet. Meanwhile, Dwight is playing pretty [dang] well in Atlanta. We could definitely use his rebounding lol

This is where Smart could really help. When he's on the floor, he gets everyone involve. Some people may disagree but Smart is the best playmaking guard on the team, not IT.

Some underrated pass from Smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlZ6cfimoo

and let's not forgot that he does it all during the playoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW26rBpwTlo

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:44:05 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:51:37 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is where Smart could really help. When he's on the floor, he gets everyone involve. Some people may disagree but Smart is the best playmaking guard on the team, not IT.

Smart is not the best playmaking guard on the Cs.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 05:53:48 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Smart is not the best playmaking guard on the Cs.

Who?

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Horford is an offensive facilitator rather than a go-to scorer.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Horford is Tim Duncan light and I mean that as a compliment.  He takes 9 shots in a game, plays within the team concept, rebounds, blocks shots, great outlet passes, very good passer and defense.
Very happy with him

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

He's always ran and shot weird. Super effective though.

He bullied through Lopez, expect to see Cs go to him much  more when teams go small and he is the 5. Chicago played big minutes with 2 7ftrs, and we used a lot of Zeller and Amir to partner him  to counter which hurt our spacing. KO and Horford will be an interesting combo...

KO-Horford-Jaylen/Jae-Marcus-Rozier is going to be cool...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Horford is Tim Duncan light and I mean that as a compliment.  He takes 9 shots in a game, plays within the team concept, rebounds, blocks shots, great outlet passes, very good passer and defense.
Very happy with him

This. But I wonder if a non scoring big like Johnson is the best pairing for him.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Jared is that you?  At least he is healthy.