Author Topic: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3  (Read 11469 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I was fine with the pick.  Adding Dunn to a team that already had Bradley, Thomas, smart and Rozier made little sense.   All the prospects from 3-8 were basically seen as interchangeable third class prospects.  Marquis Chriss might end up better and he went 8th.  But by playing with this collection of talent under this coaching, Jaylen has an opportunity to raise his developmental ceiling that the other prospects don't have.  He seems to have a great mentality.   So I'm pumped.  He had a very encouraging debut performance last night.   Hope the kid keeps making positive contributions, keeps his confidence up, and develops quickly.  Only jerebko was worse than him on our team in preseason ... so hopefully last night's more efficient and effective Jaylen was a sign of steps forward.

I think many who were interested in Dunn was because at Draft Night it seemed like he in particular was the missing piece for a big trade.

Other than that, I don't understand much of the fascination that surrounds him and in particular what he'd bring to this team.

Shot creation + defensive ability. We don't have that combination on the team.

Our lone true penetrator is a 5'9 defensive liability. The rest of the guards are basically pull-up jump-shooters. And Brown is very raw in terms of perimeter creation.

Its ok Brown is not excellent shot creator from the perimeter... he is however very good at getting open.... those cuts yesterday were amazing... how you going to defend that?

Add straight line drives, post moves, ability to make open shots

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Aside from maybe Ingram, no other rookie really had a better first night so we know he's not afraid of the spotlight.

It's good he really has the minutes to play and show himself. A small part of me was worried he'd be buried behind Crowder/ Green/ JJ/ Smart and we'd never really see his skills until 17-18.

They want to play him at the 4, because they don't have much behind Horford up front. He and Crowder can be in the game at the same time.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was one of the few who loved the Jaylen pick on draft night, I love it even more now.  It was absolutely the right fit and he fills a major need.  I thought he looked great last night when he was with the starters, and he made some amazing passes.  That is real bball talent.

Could you imagine if we drafted Dunn?  When the heck would he see the floor.?

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 04:53:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I was one of the few who loved the Jaylen pick on draft night, I love it even more now.  It was absolutely the right fit and he fills a major need.  I thought he looked great last night when he was with the starters, and he made some amazing passes.  That is real bball talent.

He barely sees the floor in minnesota at the moment.

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think Jaylen is in pretty much the perfect place for him to develop.  Great coach who has turned the corner on the rebuild, good role model players to learn from (crowder, bradley, horford) and not a lot of pressure to perform right out of the gate.  Green can take the extra minutes if Jaylen has some hiccups.  But I am glad to see that brad is ready to play Jaylen right from the start of the season.  So excited about watching him develop this year.

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2016, 05:06:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He barely sees the floor in minnesota at the moment.

To be fair to Dunn, bench players rarely see the floor on teams coached by Thibs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I was fine with the pick.  Adding Dunn to a team that already had Bradley, Thomas, smart and Rozier made little sense.   All the prospects from 3-8 were basically seen as interchangeable third class prospects.  Marquis Chriss might end up better and he went 8th.  But by playing with this collection of talent under this coaching, Jaylen has an opportunity to raise his developmental ceiling that the other prospects don't have.  He seems to have a great mentality.   So I'm pumped.  He had a very encouraging debut performance last night.   Hope the kid keeps making positive contributions, keeps his confidence up, and develops quickly.  Only jerebko was worse than him on our team in preseason ... so hopefully last night's more efficient and effective Jaylen was a sign of steps forward.

You're supposed to be unbias so my question to you is honestly, did you get a chance to see Dunn play? I'm not a fan and isn't he older than Rozier? Chriss has upside but he is really lazy in terms of rebounding and kind of soft. Hield we both agree isn't great. Murray and Bender could be  better than Brown.

Tbh though, not looking at the tiers, Brown looks to be on Ingram's level in terms of upside. I mean doesn't Ingram look slow to you?

Rozier, Marcus Smart and Kris Dunn were all born within a few days of each other.  Smart is the oldest:

Smart :  March 6, 1994
Rozier :  March 17, 1994
Dunn :  March 18, 1994

FWIW:  Rozier's stat lines in college his freshman and sophomore years (ages 19 & 20) look overall just as good or better as Dunn's junior & senior years (ages 20 & 21).     Rozier spent this last year learning to be a pro in the NBA-DL and the NBA (including real playoff minutes).  Dunn spent it padding stats against younger schoolboys.

Dunn is physically bigger, and I think he's going to be a good player, but I was just NOT interested in drafting him other than for use in trade.   We already have a very similar player in Rozier who is at this point well ahead of him in terms of being able to contribute at the NBA level while being only one day older.

Rozier was nowhere near as dynamic a playmaker on either side of the ball in college.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I think many who were interested in Dunn was because at Draft Night it seemed like he in particular was the missing piece for a big trade.

Other than that, I don't understand much of the fascination that surrounds him and in particular what he'd bring to this team.

Our lone true penetrator is a 5'9 defensive liability. The rest of the guards are basically pull-up jump-shooters. And Brown is very raw in terms of perimeter creation.

Its ok Brown is not excellent shot creator from the perimeter... he is however very good at getting open.... those cuts yesterday were amazing... how you going to defend that?

Those cuts are really easy to defend. They were just defended by really terrible defenders (Harris and Kilpatrick). Smart defensive teams will force Jaylen to hit corner 3s before rushing out to him there and smart defenders can rotate without getting torched on basic back cuts.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Those cuts are really easy to defend. They were just defended by really terrible defenders (Harris and Kilpatrick). Smart defensive teams will force Jaylen to hit corner 3s before rushing out to him there and smart defenders can rotate without getting torched on basic back cuts.

Good players are difficult to defend, no matter how basic a play is drawn out.

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
He looked great last night. Brad trusted him late in game. He had the bad turnover but I am excited for his future. He made some great drives and shots. Great pick Danny.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Aside from maybe Ingram, no other rookie really had a better first night so we know he's not afraid of the spotlight.

It's good he really has the minutes to play and show himself. A small part of me was worried he'd be buried behind Crowder/ Green/ JJ/ Smart and we'd never really see his skills until 17-18.

They want to play him at the 4, because they don't have much behind Horford up front. He and Crowder can be in the game at the same time.

If they want to play him at the 4, he's going to have to rebound. 1 rebound in 20 minutes last night, does not a power forward make. Really like his game, but would like to see his rebounding numbers increase.

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

You're supposed to be unbias so my question to you is honestly, did you get a chance to see Dunn play? I'm not a fan and isn't he older than Rozier? Chriss has upside but he is really lazy in terms of rebounding and kind of soft. Hield we both agree isn't great. Murray and Bender could be  better than Brown.

Tbh though, not looking at the tiers, Brown looks to be on Ingram's level in terms of upside. I mean doesn't Ingram look slow to you?

Rozier, Marcus Smart and Kris Dunn were all born within a few days of each other.  Smart is the oldest:

Smart :  March 6, 1994
Rozier :  March 17, 1994
Dunn :  March 18, 1994

FWIW:  Rozier's stat lines in college his freshman and sophomore years (ages 19 & 20) look overall just as good or better as Dunn's junior & senior years (ages 20 & 21).     Rozier spent this last year learning to be a pro in the NBA-DL and the NBA (including real playoff minutes).  Dunn spent it padding stats against younger schoolboys.

Dunn is physically bigger, and I think he's going to be a good player, but I was just NOT interested in drafting him other than for use in trade.   We already have a very similar player in Rozier who is at this point well ahead of him in terms of being able to contribute at the NBA level while being only one day older.

Rozier was nowhere near as dynamic a playmaker on either side of the ball in college.

If you compare their age-20 seasons, yes, Dunn dished out about 4.5 more assists per game (7.5 on 34 mpg).  But Rozier scored a couple more points per game. in similar minutes.   Not surprising since at Louisville, Rozier played about half his time as the off-ball guard while Dunn was almost always the point at Providence.

Dunn's assists dropped slightly (6.5 in 33 mpg) and his points increased slightly (16.4) this last year at Providence.

In 472 minutes in the D-League last year (comparable to high-end NCAA competition) Rozier played mostly point and averaged 8.0 assists per game on 33.7 mpg while still scoring 19.4.

Other than Dunn getting more run at 'point' in college, I'm just not seeing a lot of difference in their numbers and personally I just don't see enough there to at all justify expending a #3 pick on someone when we already have another, similar player that we got at #16.

Dunn, imho, is simply not worth 13 picks higher than Rozier.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He looked great last night. Brad trusted him late in game. He had the bad turnover but I am excited for his future. He made some great drives and shots. Great pick Danny.

Yeah the turnover hurt a bit. He had the shot, but he still needs a bit more confidence. Hopefully Stevens doesn't pull him in late game because of it. I'd rather lose a couple early season games but get the kid use to it, than throw him in at the end of the season and see what happens. Even if he missed the shot, I liked it, good shot, just needs to believe in it.

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yeah the turnover hurt a bit. He had the shot, but he still needs a bit more confidence. Hopefully Stevens doesn't pull him in late game because of it. I'd rather lose a couple early season games but get the kid use to it, than throw him in at the end of the season and see what happens. Even if he missed the shot, I liked it, good shot, just needs to believe in it.

I agree. He went up to take a shot, it was not going to get blocked, but looked around to give it up. Lack of confidence, or just not comfortable taking the big shot right now.  The kid has so much talent, he can create a lot of 10 footers, reminds me of a young MJ in the ability to create that shot for himself.  The difference is that even a young MJ would have taken that shot.  And probably made it.  JB is a little too deferential to his team mates. I appreciate that he does not try to force things, but he needs to stop worrying about whether guys like IT will get p---ed if he takes the game tying shot and just take it.

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Does anyone have a clip of the turnover? I missed the game last night, and I couldn't find a video of the turnover on YouTube or twitter.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about