Author Topic: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3  (Read 11534 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think with alot of these guys you have to start all the way back to at least their junior years in HS at the latest. Many of these guys play for Team USA so that also gives you an idea of some of their skills.

Now speaking of Brown I saw him in HS an wanted to watch as many of his college games as I could. I have access to the PAC12 network so I saw about 30 of his games and I will say this. He absolutely forced it at Cal but in reality he probably had to. Now yes I saw him make a ton of silly plays just like he will now but I will say this. I was hoping for him to go the Celtics not just because they are my team but because I think he gets hurt by trying to do too much which would have been the case at just about every other team. Here he is given time to work into his game.

Also one big plus with him coming to Boston is the ball movement which didnt really exist at Cal. I think that opens up lanes for him.

I dont want to put alot on him now but I think in order to get a true idea of a guys skills you have to see him for years which I know Ainge has considering he scouts the U19 team.

I think one of the things that we have to remember when scouting players like Brown and other freshmen is that many scouts have been looking at these kids for years while the general public bases their opinion largely on what they have seen at the college level.

Jaylen is a classic example of that. Having seen him in HS and in College I can certainly say that some of the things he is doing now never showed up in college such as his passing and baseline post up which were things you saw at the HS level. I cant speak for his Team USA experience.

Anyways, I guess my point of this post is guys like Jay Bilas are always stuck on what they saw in college because they have never seen the guy in HS. That's not to say discard what you saw at college but only to say that many of the pundits can lead us wrong in determining the value of a player because its only on what they have seen in college and then group think kicks in.

Good for Danny to understand (like you stated) that Brown was forcing the issue playing with a bad team. Surrounded by similar talent he is playing "naturally"... he was also good during the mcdonalds all star game

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was fine with the pick.  Adding Dunn to a team that already had Bradley, Thomas, smart and Rozier made little sense.   All the prospects from 3-8 were basically seen as interchangeable third class prospects.  Marquis Chriss might end up better and he went 8th.  But by playing with this collection of talent under this coaching, Jaylen has an opportunity to raise his developmental ceiling that the other prospects don't have.  He seems to have a great mentality.   So I'm pumped.  He had a very encouraging debut performance last night.   Hope the kid keeps making positive contributions, keeps his confidence up, and develops quickly.  Only jerebko was worse than him on our team in preseason ... so hopefully last night's more efficient and effective Jaylen was a sign of steps forward.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I thought Brown looked good.  Took advantages of his chances and generally was aggressive.  Was put in the popcorn machine a few times but you can readily see his defensive potential. 

That said, seems he was placed in "corner" position on offense much of the night.  You know, the spot where he just stands at the ready position in case the ball comes to his side.  And even when it did, he wasn't moving up to get the ball like the other guards and wings.  And please don't misunderstand, I am know knocking brown.  I am sure he was doing what he was supposed to do.

Just looking forward to the time he can earn a more prominent role in the offense.  He definitely has the talent to take advantage of it.

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I was fine with the pick.  Adding Dunn to a team that already had Bradley, Thomas, smart and Rozier made little sense.   All the prospects from 3-8 were basically seen as interchangeable third class prospects.  Marquis Chriss might end up better and he went 8th.  But by playing with this collection of talent under this coaching, Jaylen has an opportunity to raise his developmental ceiling that the other prospects don't have.  He seems to have a great mentality.   So I'm pumped.  He had a very encouraging debut performance last night.   Hope the kid keeps making positive contributions, keeps his confidence up, and develops quickly.  Only jerebko was worse than him on our team in preseason ... so hopefully last night's more efficient and effective Jaylen was a sign of steps forward.

If Jaylen was the 2nd worst player on our team during the preseason, how in the hell did he earn the right to be the first player off of the bench in the season opener? lol

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I think many who were interested in Dunn was because at Draft Night it seemed like he in particular was the missing piece for a big trade.

Other than that, I don't understand much of the fascination that surrounds him and in particular what he'd bring to this team.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I thought Brown looked good.  Took advantages of his chances and generally was aggressive.  Was put in the popcorn machine a few times but you can readily see his defensive potential. 

That said, seems he was placed in "corner" position on offense much of the night.  You know, the spot where he just stands at the ready position in case the ball comes to his side.  And even when it did, he wasn't moving up to get the ball like the other guards and wings.  And please don't misunderstand, I am know knocking brown.  I am sure he was doing what he was supposed to do.

Just looking forward to the time he can earn a more prominent role in the offense.  He definitely has the talent to take advantage of it.

Agreed. Did a great job taking advantage of opportunities that role presented, but that's not much of a role. And against real NBA teams, not nuclear radiation zones like BK, he's not going to get multiple free lanes to basket of simple back cuts. There are only so many Joe Harris/Luis Scola/Justin Hamilton frontcourts in the NBA!

Against a good team, he might've gotten 2 or 3 corner 3 attempts all night and nothing else. That's basically the role Winslow had for Miami last year, which wasn't all that exciting.

I'd like to see them bench Zeller and give Brown some time as a 4. He could have done a lot more damage off the dribble in that role.

Also, in the justified offensive excitement, people are glossing over that Brown was pretty bad defensively those athletic swats nothwithstanding. Needs to tighten up his man D if he's gonna keep a 20 mpg role.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
"The Eraser"

A tribute to his haircut.

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

I think many who were interested in Dunn was because at Draft Night it seemed like he in particular was the missing piece for a big trade.

Other than that, I don't understand much of the fascination that surrounds him and in particular what he'd bring to this team.

Shot creation + defensive ability. We don't have that combination on the team.

Our lone true penetrator is a 5'9 defensive liability. The rest of the guards are basically pull-up jump-shooters. And Brown is very raw in terms of perimeter creation.

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

You're supposed to be unbias so my question to you is honestly, did you get a chance to see Dunn play? I'm not a fan and isn't he older than Rozier? Chriss has upside but he is really lazy in terms of rebounding and kind of soft. Hield we both agree isn't great. Murray and Bender could be  better than Brown.

Tbh though, not looking at the tiers, Brown looks to be on Ingram's level in terms of upside. I mean doesn't Ingram look slow to you?

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Our lone true penetrator is a 5'9 defensive liability. The rest of the guards are basically pull-up jump-shooters. And Brown is very raw in terms of perimeter creation.

Rozier can penetrate.

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Rozier can penetrate.

Not consistently. In wide open settings like the D-League and summer league sure, but in the half-court he plays a lot like a young Bradley. Likes to pull-up instead of going all the way to the rim. A little hesitant with the dribble. Tentative in pick and roll.

He's got the first step and quickness to do so, but I don't think he's there yet.

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Rozier can penetrate.

Not consistently. In wide open settings like the D-League and summer league sure, but in the half-court he plays a lot like a young Bradley. Likes to pull-up instead of going all the way to the rim. A little hesitant with the dribble. Tentative in pick and roll.

He's got the first step and quickness to do so, but I don't think he's there yet.

Rozier can penetrate better than Bradley. He has a better handle than him. I don't think Dunn is a huge improvement over Terry and they are the same age. I think Jaylen will be a lot better than Dunn when is 22.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If Jaylen was the 2nd worst player on our team during the preseason, how in the hell did he earn the right to be the first player off of the bench in the season opener? lol
#3 pick is a big investment.  No better game to develop him than one against a team considered to be among the worst in the entire league. 

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

You're supposed to be unbias so my question to you is honestly, did you get a chance to see Dunn play? I'm not a fan and isn't he older than Rozier? Chriss has upside but he is really lazy in terms of rebounding and kind of soft. Hield we both agree isn't great. Murray and Bender could be  better than Brown.

Tbh though, not looking at the tiers, Brown looks to be on Ingram's level in terms of upside. I mean doesn't Ingram look slow to you?
Ingram looks like he'll be a great shooter long-term.  He needs to work on his body.   Jaylen already has an NBA body and it's questionable whether he will ever be able to consistently shoot.  Ingram is also a year younger.

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Rozier, Marcus Smart and Kris Dunn were all born within a few days of each other.  Smart is the oldest:

Smart :  March 6, 1994
Rozier :  March 17, 1994
Dunn :  March 18, 1994

FWIW:  Rozier's stat lines in college his freshman and sophomore years (ages 19 & 20) look overall just as good or better as Dunn's junior & senior years (ages 20 & 21).     Rozier spent this last year learning to be a pro in the NBA-DL and the NBA (including real playoff minutes).  Dunn spent it padding stats against younger schoolboys.

Dunn is physically bigger, and I think he's going to be a good player, but I was just NOT interested in drafting him other than for use in trade.   We already have a very similar player in Rozier who is at this point well ahead of him in terms of being able to contribute at the NBA level while being only one day older.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.