Author Topic: My thoughts from Brooklyn last night  (Read 7011 times)

Re: My thoughts from Brooklyn last night
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Their starting lineup appears to be legit, but luckily it doesn't look like their bench guys can defend at all or generate consistent offense.

I think they'll be in a lot of close games this year, but ultimately lose many, many games.  That said, the way these things seem to work is some team is going to completely fall apart and tank hard.  The Nets have too many real NBA players and no incentive to tank, so I don't expect them to end up with the very worst record.  Probably not even the second worst.

But we'll get a solid pick out of them, of that I have little doubt.
I think Boston is better offensively than they are getting credit for.  I don't blame Brooklyn for struggling to defend us. 

Brooklyn still makes me nervous.  If they play hard they can win games.  Especially down the stretch as other teams fold for draft picks and Brooklyn keeps playing.

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Their starting lineup appears to be legit, but luckily it doesn't look like their bench guys can defend at all or generate consistent offense.

I think they'll be in a lot of close games this year, but ultimately lose many, many games.  That said, the way these things seem to work is some team is going to completely fall apart and tank hard.  The Nets have too many real NBA players and no incentive to tank, so I don't expect them to end up with the very worst record.  Probably not even the second worst.

I think Boston is better offensively than they are getting credit for.  I don't blame Brooklyn for struggling to defend us. 

Brooklyn still makes me nervous.  If they play hard they can win games.  Especially down the stretch as other teams fold for draft picks and Brooklyn keeps playing.
And this again:

I've this question quite a few times and have not really seen an answer to it. I would really love to have one. The Nets had no incentive to tank last year, yet they actually still sat their best 2 players for the last 7 games (thad and brook). They lost their last 10 games of the season and won 3 games after March 3  They actually dropped in the standings over the last two months of  the season as 2 teams with incentive to tank (Timberwolves, Suns) blew by them with 10 and 8 wins over that period respectively. In fact the Twolves won 4 of their last 5 games and Suns won last 3 of their last 4. Even the Lakers won more games over the last 2 months of last season.

I am not really getting where this myth comes from that the Nets play better because they dont have their draft pick but it is perpetually repeated as fact despite the fact we saw the exact opposite just happen.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

They had some intensity on the defensive end, that quite frankly surprised me.   I too, thought they played hard, I would think it is silly to write them off.

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

And this again:

I've this question quite a few times and have not really seen an answer to it. I would really love to have one. The Nets had no incentive to tank last year, yet they actually still sat their best 2 players for the last 7 games (thad and brook). They lost their last 10 games of the season and won 3 games after March 3  They actually dropped in the standings over the last two months of  the season as 2 teams with incentive to tank (Timberwolves, Suns) blew by them with 10 and 8 wins over that period respectively. In fact the Twolves won 4 of their last 5 games and Suns won last 3 of their last 4. Even the Lakers won more games over the last 2 months of last season.

I am not really getting where this myth comes from that the Nets play better because they dont have their draft pick but it is perpetually repeated as fact despite the fact we saw the exact opposite just happen.
Last year they were ravaged by injuries... hence why they needed to shut everyone down at the end.  Who knows if the same will be the case this season.  They have nothing to lose by winning.

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
The Nets seems to buy into their coach, and they are playing hard....hard enough that they might even overachieve this season. But it remains to be seen how long they can sustain this for a full season.

I could care less about the 2018 Brooklyn pick. I just want them to suck for one more season.