Author Topic: 2016-2017 "Potential FA/Trade Targets For Boston" Thread  (Read 5751 times)

2016-2017 "Potential FA/Trade Targets For Boston" Thread
« on: October 26, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So I think we all acknowledge we aren't beating Cleveland or making the Finals this season (or even ECF in what should be a fun, hectic Eastern conference race).

But I think lots of us will be excited about possible superstar trades that could happen (or at least discussing and analyzing all the rumors that will pop up) OR seeing how the players set to hit FA next season are doing.

Gordon Hayward/Blake Griffin/Serge Ibaka. Most Celtics fans want one of these guys here next season with the remaining max-slot the Celtics have (or stand pat and save that cap space and try again in a loaded 2018 class. That too, and that's partially where I'm at especially if it comes down to Hayward or nothing).

I figure this thread could be used to highlight anything good that these potential FA targets do throughout the season (example: Hayward scoring 35+ one game, Ibaka having 4+ blocks, etc.). Or the emergence of underrated players who can become future free agent targets by absolutely killing it this season. This season should be fun, but so should the trade deadline and the next summer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:20:48 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2016-2017 "Potential FA Targets For Boston" Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So I think we all acknowledge we aren't beating Cleveland or making the Finals this season (or even ECF in what should be a fun, hectic Eastern conference race).

But I think lots of us will be excited about possible superstar trades that could happen (or at least discussing and analyzing all the rumors that will pop up) OR seeing how the players set to hit FA next season are doing.

Gordon Hayward/Blake Griffin/Serge Ibaka. Most Celtics fans want one of these guys here next season with the remaining max-slot the Celtics have (or stand pat and save that cap space and try again in a loaded 2018 class. That too, and that's partially where I'm at especially if it comes down to Hayward or nothing).

I figure this thread could be used to highlight anything good that these potential FA targets do throughout the season (example: Hayward scoring 35+ one game, Ibaka having 4+ blocks, etc.). Or the emergence of underrated players who can become future free agent targets by absolutely killing it this season. This season should be fun, but so should the trade deadline and the next summer.

Is Ibaka really considered a max candidate at this point?  He was good a couple of years ago but after his pretty brutal performance last year I don't think he belongs in the same sentence as Hayward and Griffin

Side note, does anyone know the status of Gordon Hayward's finger injury?  I hope he doesn't miss much time, but on the other hand a bad start to the season could help the Jazz miss the playoffs and increase the chances that he leaves the Jazz
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Is Ibaka really considered a max candidate at this point?  He was good a couple of years ago but after his pretty brutal performance last year I don't think he belongs in the same sentence as Hayward and Griffin

Side note, does anyone know the status of Gordon Hayward's finger injury?  I hope he doesn't miss much time, but on the other hand a bad start to the season could help the Jazz miss the playoffs and increase the chances that he leaves the Jazz
I think Ibaka will get the max from Orlando, since they paid so much to trade for him I doubt they refuse to pay the max to keep him. So in order for a team to sign him away from Orlando another team will have to match the max offer.

I'd add Durant to the list if things go horribly wrong in Golden State.

Millsap might not be a bad player to consider if it was the max for short years.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I think Ibaka will get the max from Orlando, since they paid so much to trade for him I doubt they refuse to pay the max to keep him. So in order for a team to sign him away from Orlando another team will have to match the max offer.

I'd add Durant to the list if things go horribly wrong in Golden State.

Millsap might not be a bad player to consider if it was the max for short years.

beat me to it, if we stay healthy and get to the 2nd round or if we overachieve and go to ECF, and GSW goes terribly wrong for Durant like either Steph or Green goes down with a season ending injury, I can see him thinking about leaving, small chance but still worth noting

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I think we'll find out about Ibaka this year.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Supposedly out until mid-November.  It's a broken finger from October 7th.  That's a pretty common injury, and 6 weeks is not an unreasonable timeframe, which would put a return at November 18th.  They have 12 more games between now and then.  Figure it should take a couple games to get back to full speed after that, and he should miss about the first fifth of the season.

In addition to increasing the likelihood of free agency flight, it increases the likelihood of a mid-season trade.  I'd love to have Hayward on this year's team.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Cousins had 24 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists in the Kings win yesterday.

Ibaka had 14 points and 7 rebounds (1 block), in 36 minutes of action.

Re: 2016-2017 "Potential FA/Trade Targets For Boston" Thread
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Cousins had himself a day! 37 points, 16 rebounds. And an L.

After seeing the way Boston played last night, anyone rather Cousins than Amir?

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
How about Kenneth Faried?

He has his warts, but he would definitely help on the boards.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:10:18 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I'd rather not spend a bunch of cap space who has only one real skill and is best suited to come off the bench

If we trade for a star and somehow have cap space next year, then he could be an option, but he's not a good choice for where the team is now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Cousins had himself a day! 37 points, 16 rebounds. And an L.

After seeing the way Boston played last night, anyone rather Cousins than Amir?

Is there anyone that WOULDN'T rather have Cousins than Amir? Even if you don't like his attitude, the gulf in talent is so big that Cousins is a no brainer

The issue is how much more than Amir it would take to get Cousins
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

Faried would be great for this team. What would it take to get him?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Cousins would still be top of my list. For Griffin or Hayward I would wait until the summer. Anthony Davis is a pipe dream but always worth mentioning as a target!

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Cousins would still be top of my list. For Griffin or Hayward I would wait until the summer. Anthony Davis is a pipe dream but always worth mentioning as a target!

Yeah Davis is a pipe dream and even if he was available, would you give up almost 1/4 of the team, both Nets picks and another few "sweetener picks" for just one guy... doubt it.

I'd rather one of Cousins/Griffin, or Ibaka if he could be had for less than the max. Need a rebounding, shot-blocking 4 or 5 (to go alongside Horford as well). Hayward doesn't thread the needle for this team and doesn't make us legitimate contenders, and he will cost the max and our remaining cap space.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Faried would be great for this team. What would it take to get him?

Denver loves him and he's at a reasonable contract for the next 2 seasons after this one (12M/year I believe). Wouldn't surprise me if Denver asked for a Nets pick tbh. He's not worth it but DEN have no real incentive to deal Faried either. Also with Crowder here.. do we really need a Faried lol? Obviously it would be great to have him but he isn't a huge need right now, especially at the projected trade cost.