Author Topic: Rozier over Smart  (Read 12790 times)

Re: Rozier over Smart
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:01 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Well I guess I'm the laughing stock of the blog.

No one to blame but yourself.  Save the "butthurt" comments and don't bother posting them.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rozier didn't do so good last night.. the shot is there but he's still rushing things, I think there's even a fast break where he had numbers but tossed up a pathetic layup attempt.

Rozier had good moments and bad moments last night. Kind of like it was the first game of the year--and he was a 2nd year player being given new and larger responsibilities.

In the 4th the whole 2nd unit fell apart under increased pressure and more physical play.  I was most upset that Gerald Green the veteran made matters worse rather than stabilizing the situation.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Too passive vs what we saw during pre season... he should have taken 5 more shots... instead Jerebko goes 1-8

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well I guess I'm the laughing stock of the blog.

No one to blame but yourself.  Save the "butthurt" comments and don't bother posting them.

I've been trying to take the high road. You have Smart as an all star. It'll sure be interesting to see who is right. And I won't forget the things you said if you are wrong, hope you do the same for me if I'm wrong.

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This seems silly to me. Not that Rozier can't surpass Smart, but right now Smart is much better. Rozier is OK at a lot of things but his only above-average skill is rebounding (which Smart is also very good at). Smart's shooting is a weakness, but his defense is just astonishingly good. Stevens has characterized Smart as a "sixth starter", so it's clear that he thinks Smart is ahead of Rozier right now. Also worth noting that they are the same age.

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
This seems silly to me. Not that Rozier can't surpass Smart, but right now Smart is much better. Rozier is OK at a lot of things but his only above-average skill is rebounding (which Smart is also very good at). Smart's shooting is a weakness, but his defense is just astonishingly good. Stevens has characterized Smart as a "sixth starter", so it's clear that he thinks Smart is ahead of Rozier right now. Also worth noting that they are the same age.

Yes Smart is right now better than Rozier.  The issue remains that Smart is often a liability on offense and he does not have a true position.--he does not shoot well enough to be a 2 and Smart has not shown the aptitude for running the offense and making good decisions.  Rozier has earned the back-up PG spot, right now.    Rozier has passed him in this area.  It remains to be seen--When will marcus start to make make better decisions?  Can Terry continue to grow into being a useful back-up Point?

Listen to Hubie Brown announce a Celtics game--one minute is gushing over Smart's physical play the next minute is shock over his awful choices/mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:08:43 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
"This T. Allen comparison is just beyond dumb now. Since when did Allen run the PnR effectively? Since when did he run any kind of offense? Smart has proven he can run the offense for us consistently. Just as you are criticising people of ripping Rozier, you are doing the same for Smart."  from Sundance Kid

This is wrong--there is no evidence that Smart can run the PnR, for one thing he can't consistently shoot the J--and Brad has not allowed Smart to run the offense only for brief periods.  Marcus's shot selection remains dubious.

That is why Rozier - (last year, at the end of the year), when they needed a PG, Brad gave the ball to Terry and that is whey this summer and in pre-season, Marcus has been given very little time running the offense. Rozier has always been the primary PG, run the offense, when both players are in the game.  I am not sure who will emerge --but from Brad's choice as to who plays the back up point--it has all been Rozier.

Additionally- on Marcus's high level defense--all should remember that Avery gets the toughest defensive assignments not Marcus.

What? As far as I saw Smart ran the offense more than Rozier. At least when you account for them being on court together.

In terms of the PnR, there is plenty of tape of him assisting out of it or pulling up with an improved mid range game. In fact I'm pretty certain there was an article on CB about it last week. Smart shows good control in the PnR and has greatly improved his court vision over the last two years.

Smart's strength defensively is versatility. We have much more flexibility when he plays, for example guarding KP or Milsap. He is also a great team defender, as is Crowder. Bradley is definitely our best on ball defender, no dispute here but he doesn't have the versatility of Smart. I tend to stay out of the arguments of who is better because they are different skills and both are incredible.

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd say it's certainly possible. The problem is that over the last 4 years we've learnt to wait a bit longer before calling short periods of excellent play like they're the symbol of great things to come.

Rozier right now is better offensively by Marcus by a mile. His shooting is excellent and he's making better decisions. He has the potential to be an offensive All Star caliber player in the NBA. The great scoring combo guards are those that can:
1) score in transition
2) shoot the 3 from 33%+ and be a perimeter and interior threat
3) take players off the dribble
4) seek out and finish through contact regularly
5) will find the open team mate if they have a better shot

Terry is doing all of the above so far this (short) season so far.

His biggest problem right now is that we are a good team and he isn't getting enough time to dominate games offensively, whereas Marcus has had/seized that opportunity and shown his defensiveness dominance to a level which will be hard for Terry to ever match.

Terry wants to score on every possession and it's bursting out of him with his confidence, I also think that this is effecting his decision making and making him force the issue too much, leading to near turnovers and turnovers.

But yeah, if Terry keeps playing this way for the rest of the season, I'd argue he might overtake Marcus- especially if Marcus' offense doesn't improve at least % wise. Terry is like Monta Ellis with a better handle and better defense, he just hasn't shown the consistency that someone like Ellis has shown for a whole season.

The good news is that if this does happen, and he turns out better than Smart, then we'll have a All NBA first team defender in Smart and an All Star scoring guard in Rozier.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:29:28 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2016, 11:31:48 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Yes Smart is right now better than Rozier.  The issue remains that Smart is often a liability on offense and he does not have a true position.--he does not shoot well enough to be a 2 and Smart has not shown the aptitude for running the offense and making good decisions.  Rozier has earned the back-up PG spot, right now.    Rozier has passed him in this area.  It remains to be seen--When will marcus start to make make better decisions?  Can Terry continue to grow into being a useful back-up Point?

Listen to Hubie Brown announce a Celtics game--one minute is gushing over Smart's physical play the next minute is shock over his awful choices/mistakes.

Rozier isnt a better decision maker than Smart, other than shot selection. Id even say Demetrius Jackson is better at running the point than Rozier. Rozier is a dangerous scorer with good defensive potential who happens to be 6'2. When Smart returns Rozier will be quickly shoved to off guard without a second thought.

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Rozier isnt a better decision maker than Smart, other than shot selection. Id even say Demetrius Jackson is better at running the point than Rozier. Rozier is a dangerous scorer with good defensive potential who happens to be 6'2. When Smart returns Rozier will be quickly shoved to off guard without a second thought.

I believe strongly, and I think Brad sees that Rozier is much better at running the offense and following the coaches game plan than Marcus! I doubt that Marcus will get many maybe not even any minutes as the back-up PG--  that job is Rozier's--

One of us is right and one wrong--we will see.  Let's see who primarily brings the ball up when both are in the game.

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This thread is still going?

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

I believe strongly, and I think Brad sees that Rozier is much better at running the offense and following the coaches game plan than Marcus! I doubt that Marcus will get many maybe not even any minutes as the back-up PG--  that job is Rozier's--

One of us is right and one wrong--we will see.  Let's see who primarily brings the ball up when both are in the game.

Except for the fact that Smart ran the offense of the second unit much more than Rozier did during the preseason?

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Except for the fact that Smart ran the offense of the second unit much more than Rozier did during the preseason?

I disagree with this- the games I saw Terry was running the point more than Marcus--but this is a debate where in a couple of weeks we should have a definitive answer.  I wonder what others saw as to who Brad entrusts with the offense?  Who got more time at the point at the end of last year, in summer league and in the preseason, Rozier or Smart?

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I disagree with this- the games I saw Terry was running the point more than Marcus--but this is a debate where in a couple of weeks we should have a definitive answer.  I wonder what others saw as to who Brad entrusts with the offense?  Who got more time at the point at the end of last year, in summer league and in the preseason, Rozier or Smart?

While I'll concede that Rozier was primary ball handler much more than Smart in Summer League (since Smart didn't play), in the Nets game (ditto), and the preseason after Smart's injury, when both were healthy Smart was the primary ball handler more often in the preseason.

It's not something to disagree about, it's a fact
I'm bitter.

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
On what basis is Rozier better again?