Author Topic: Rozier over Smart  (Read 12724 times)

Rozier over Smart
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Some people here have been saying that it's not imaginable to think Rozier will jump Smart. Well maybe you should listen to the Ringer's latest NBA podcast. The link is below. Kevin O'Connor seems to agree with us realist.

https://soundcloud.com/ringernbashow

Re: Rozier over Smart
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
It's nice to have both of them. No?

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Some people here have been saying that it's not imaginable to think Rozier will jump Smart. Well maybe you should listen to the Ringer's latest NBA podcast. The link is below. Kevin O'Connor seems to agree with us realist.

may i ask specifically why your opinion is realistic, but those of others are not?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think most have been saying that it's unreasonable to assume that Rozier will overtake Smart, not that it definitely won't happen.  There's a huge gray area there
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
It's nice to have both of them. No?

I agree, but people have been making fun of the people who like Rozier on this board. Some have said it is unbelievable to judge a player by preseason and summer league. I am happy with both so far in terms of their progress this year. I'm hoping Smart makes the jump this year, but I imagine if he doesn't people will say Smart's ankle was busted.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I think most have been saying that it's unreasonable to assume that Rozier will overtake Smart, not that it definitely won't happen.  There's a huge gray area there

I would be happy with either starting, but I think it is reasonable to assume Rozier has a good chance of overtaking him because of his scoring ability, shooting, handles, and he is a potential plus defender.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

may i ask specifically why your opinion is realistic, but those of others are not?

Because Rozier is good and to assume his preseason stats are misleading doesn't seem realistic to me. He's played better than Smart has in the preseason. It's tough for people to acknowledge that.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think it's possible, but I'll hold my tongue until I see Rozier's improved play go up against real NBA competition. Pre-season and summer league indicate absolutely nothing.

I just love the fact that we have both of them.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

Because Rozier is good and to assume his preseason stats are misleading doesn't seem realistic to me. He's played better than Smart has in the preseason. It's tough for people to acknowledge that.
He definitely has shown more potential then Smart. Tonight will be a great opportunity for Rozier. Hopefully he steps up

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I would be happy with either starting, but I think it is reasonable to assume Rozier has a good chance of overtaking him because of his scoring ability, shooting, handles, and he is a potential plus defender.

I don't see it as a reasonable assumption.  Definitely a reasonable prediction, but not assumption. 

It could happen, but considering the gulf between their play last year and experience, it's just all that likely.  Rozier has good potential, but he's not gonna reach it over night (or over 1 offseason).  He might be a better offensive player than Smart this year (definitely a better shooter and driver, although I think Smart will have the edge in ast/gm and ast/to ratio), but Smart is a great defender while Rozier still needs to make the leap from "potential plus defender" (aka athletic and not super undersized) to actual good defender to even equal Smart.

Hopefully he spends some (more) time with Bradley, I think he'd be good at that sort of pestering on-ball defense
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I think it's possible, but I'll hold my tongue until I see Rozier's improved play go up against real NBA competition. Pre-season and summer league indicate absolutely nothing.

I just love the fact that we have both of them.

Yeah, Smart looked just as good in the 2015 Summer League (before he got hurt) as Rozier did in this summer league.  A lot of people expected a big jump out of Smart after that (and some expected him to overtake Turner), but summer league and the regular season aren't the same.  You have to take summer league and preseason with a pinch (or entire shaker) of salt

If you look back a little further, you'll see similar trends with KO, too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Good points, but remember, after that 2015 summer league performance by Smart, he missed a huge chunk of November and December due to injury.  He never got a chance to really see if his progress translated as he had to rehab extensively, then work his way back into the rotation, etc.  With Rozier, if he stays healthy, he should have a chance to show his summer and preseason were no fluke. He will at least get the opportunity, especially with Smart missing time to start the year.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
The reason I posted this podcast was to show that Rozier has the chance to be good and even writers like Kevin O'connor are seeing it too. I'm just giddy to have another potential good player on this team. Yes we should be cautious about his shooting since it's a small sample.

Also, Smart shot under 40% from the field in both summer league years.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Preseason ratings.  Rozier  Off. Rat.  94.7, Def. Rat. 100.2,  Net Rat. -5.6
                            Smart  Off. Rat. 102.5, Def. Rat.  89.3,  Net Rat. +13.2

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Preseason ratings.  Rozier  Off. Rat.  94.7, Def. Rat. 100.2,  Net Rat. -5.6
                            Smart  Off. Rat. 102.5, Def. Rat.  89.3,  Net Rat. +13.2
Thanks for posting that.

The reason I favor Smart is that the team does really well when he is on the floor. His offensive numbers look horrible to me, but if the team does well, whatever. When he rips the ball from someone and throws it ahead for a fast break, he often doesn't get any personal offensive stats from that, even though he contributed to our offensive efficiency. Really hard to evaluate Smart.