Author Topic: Did the Lakers get the better coach  (Read 3226 times)

Did the Lakers get the better coach
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Luke Walton is young, innovative, and energetic. Only a few years removed from playing in the NBA.

Steve Kerr is battling serious back issues from what was reported last night during the game. I don't know how he can do it, coach with chronic back pain issues. This has got to affect his energy, concentration, cognition, and temperament.

At this point last year Luke had the Warriors rolling, now they are 0-1.

Did the Lakers score the better coaching prospect here?

Re: Did the Lakers get the better coach
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No. We don't even know if Walton can actually be a good coach. It wouldn't have been hard for just about any coach to lead that warriors team to the start they had last year.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Tis early in the season
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It would help if Kerr could suit up and play C.

This is an overreaction.  Kerr won a title.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

True he did, but did you hear the report last night that he is in significant pain all day that the announcers claim has actually changed his disposition. That has got to have an effect on preparation and performance as a coach. Don't sell Walton short. I did last year, perhaps I was wrong.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
No. We don't even know if Walton can actually be a good coach. It wouldn't have been hard for just about any coach to lead that warriors team to the start they had last year.

I think Walton deserves some credit for helping that Warriors team, but I do agree that it wouldn't be that hard but let's not take away from Walton.

With that said it would be interesting to see how he coach the Lakers after being Kerr's assistant and also like Kerr played under Phil Jackson for a number of years. I also would not overreact that he is a better coach than Brad. It'll be interesting to see Boston vs LA this year

two good coach and very young team.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really could just copy & paste my "#hotsportstake" post to about half the threads on the board this morning....  ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

True he did, but did you hear the report last night that he is in significant pain all day that the announcers claim has actually changed his disposition. That has got to have an effect on preparation and performance as a coach. Don't sell Walton short. I did last year, perhaps I was wrong.

Walton has to prove it this year before I will say anything about him.

The back pain thing of course could be an issue but I think it's clear Kerr is a good coach.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yet another thread built on one game.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
actually this is based on all the games Walton won last year, and the reality of Kerr's back problem. It is actually a goo thread to discuss the impact of spinal disability on concentration and cognition and the effect it has in high pressure cerebral jobs.

Does spinal injury induced chronic pain have an effect on more than just physical abilities?

I am more concerned about that angle than coaching knowledge or experience. Does Kerr's chronic pain affect his decision making abilities.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

The Durant experiment has failed, Warriors clearly don't have what it takes to get past the Spurs, let alone the Cavs.  They should look to rebuild while their players still have value and before they hit free agency and lose them for nothing.

I'd offer Bradley, Young, and a non-Brooklyn first for Curry.  Who says no?

:P

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The Durant experiment has failed, Warriors clearly don't have what it takes to get past the Spurs, let alone the Cavs.  They should look to rebuild while their players still have value and before they hit free agency and lose them for nothing.

How are they even going to have a chance to "get past" the Spurs when they're on a trajectory to miss the playoffs?  ;)

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
actually this is based on all the games Walton won last year, and the reality of Kerr's back problem. It is actually a goo thread to discuss the impact of spinal disability on concentration and cognition and the effect it has in high pressure cerebral jobs.

Does spinal injury induced chronic pain have an effect on more than just physical abilities?

I am more concerned about that angle than coaching knowledge or experience. Does Kerr's chronic pain affect his decision making abilities.

Sounds like a question for a doctor.  Or maybe the smartest poster here: Larbrd.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

How are they even going to have a chance to "get past" the Spurs when they're on a trajectory to miss the playoffs?  ;)

well then, I guess we'll take Durant too ;), i mean they need as many assets as possible, I'd give them a BKN pick and Mickey and Jackson who are up and coming players ;), They go young and have multiple picks!

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:53:11 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

When my own back issues flare up they are both physically and mentally debilitating.