Author Topic: Maybe Durant Should have Signed with the Celtics  (Read 2729 times)

Maybe Durant Should have Signed with the Celtics
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:50:23 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Only caught a few seconds of a preseason game between Portland and Golden State. Portland had an easy time of it. (sorry, don't know the outcome.) Last night San Antonio blew them out of the water. I only watched the first quarter. It was even in the 1st until Durant took a break. Then, San Antonio took over. Evidently they didn't recover when he returned. They were down 11 or so after 1. They lost by 29 or so?

It's only a tiny sample against two top teams, but I'm beginning to wonder if the Warriors might not be that great this year. Curry's injury woes haunted him in last year's playoffs. Perhaps, it will be more of the same this year.

Golden state had to let a lot of talent go to fit under the salary cap. Maybe they let go of too much to be competitive?  BY the end of the season Durant may have some regrets not signing with the C's.

Re: Maybe Durant Should have Signed with the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:01:23 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Well, there are questions about how well the Warriors will play on defense. Barnes and Bogut were probably better team defenders than Durant and Pachulia. Ezili (who played 16 mpg last year) may be a better than West but he's certainly bigger and more athletic at this point. And don't discount the factor of having Javale McGee in the locker room.

I still expect GS to win close to 70 games and make it to the finals. I understand the attraction for Durant to go to a team filled with stars to pick up an easy title. But he was a much better fit in Boston. He would have been free to maximize his offensive skills while having great - not good, great - defenders surrounding him to cover for him on the defensive end.

But it didn't happen and it'll be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wont jump to conclusions after one game. But Talking with friends I did have a feeling if it doesn't work out it's because they have a short bench. Anyone gets hurt, could cost games. When the C's meet them, I cold see them beating them for that reason, our bench is way stronger when healthy. But if GSW first unit gets too much of a lead, that would be hard to come back from.

GSW will have a learning curve, only time will tell if they actually learn how to play with each other, or imploded and make a trade.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Warriors are built for the playoffs and the Celtics are built for the regular season.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Warriors are built for the playoffs and the Celtics are built for the regular season.
celtics would have been built for the playoffs had Durant signed here
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If he had signed as a FA, they would have been built for both.  No point in crying into your coffee now.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If he had signed as a FA, they would have been built for both.  No point in crying into your coffee now.
idk, the tears add a nice saltiness to my light roast  ;D
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just feel Durant was redundant to the warrior skill set. He's a scorer. That team did not need another scorer. Celtics on the other hand did, and still do. He would have been a much better fit here. Added a lot more value and wins. When can he opt out? After this season?

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just feel Durant was redundant to the warrior skill set. He's a scorer. That team did not need another scorer. Celtics on the other hand did, and still do. He would have been a much better fit here. Added a lot more value and wins. When can he opt out? After this season?
Yes he can and almost certainly will opt out after this season.  He'll have 10 years so his MAX will be slightly more than 35M.  It would take some work to free up enough cap space to get him. 

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Nothing surprises me anymore.  It's one game people.  They are the prohibitive favorite to get back to the finals.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so much for 82-0 ;)

but yea I agree, it's just the first game, they'll probably figure it out, if they do not, they have major problems going forward, whether they start making trades or else risk Durant walking after the season is over

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's only one game, but some people think the Warriors gave up too much interior defense making room for Durant. Especially Bogut. McGee's presence is a mystery.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Warriors on pace to go 0-82
Cs on pace to go 82-0
BIG mistake by Durant!  :P

In reality, it's not impossible for the Warriors to have some struggles. They are still the favorites for the championship, but it sure would be nice if things didn't go well and Durant thought back fondly on his meeting with Brad, Danny, Brady, IT, and the gang...yeah, I will continue to hate Durant - unless he decides to come to Boston.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nothing surprises me anymore.  It's one game people.  They are the prohibitive favorite to get back to the finals.

This may be true, but I think this game is a huge one for a few reasons.

Firstly, San Antonio are one of two teams (Cavs being the other) that is considered to be a legitimate threatto the Warriors.  Their record last year was nearly as impressive as Golden State's, Kawhi is another year better, and they added Pau Gasol in place of an over-the-hill Tim Duncan.  Winning the first game of the series (by an absolute blow-out margin, no less) gives the Spurs a big mental edge IMHO. 

Secondly, the Golden State Warriors have been pegged by many as "unbeatable" and a "dream team".  Then they played the first regular season (with the entire lineup pretty much healthy and active) and give up 130 points while getting absolutely butt-smacked by 30 points.

Every team out there who may have thought the Warriors are unbeatable can now taste blood - the Warriors start the season by telling every team out there "If you play well, you can beat us -  in embarrassing fashion". 

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:02:08 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Adding a presence on the inside (cousins) will get us closer to a title than Adding Durant..