Author Topic: So do we let IT and Avery walk as free agents after next season?  (Read 5432 times)

Re: So do we let IT and Avery walk as free agents after next season?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
First game stat lines for IT & Avery:

Thomas:  25 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals
Bradley:  17 points, 5 assists, 9 rebounds, 1 steal

Isaiah posted that on just 14 FGA (he drew 9 trips to the FT line).

Going into the season, would anybody have put money down on Isaiah and Avery combining for 15 rebounds in a game?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I am all for trading IT after this season unless we reach the finals. I dont want us to pay IT max money, so get something out of it in return. I wanted to trade Avery prior to this season but he has looked less selfish this year. I'll give him a chance to show me something this year that may change my stance.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
paying the luxury tax and paying the highest tax bill in NBA history are two entirely different things. 

If Boston signs a true max contract player next summer, I can't see anyway it keeps all of Bradley, Thomas, Crowder, Smart, and Olynyk. 

I mean you are looking at in 2018

Horford 29 million
Other Max FA 28 million
Crowder 7.3 million
Brown 5.1 million
BKN 17 5 million (based on current scale not new CBA)
BKN 18 4 million (based on current scale not new CBA)
Rozier 3 million
Zizic, Yab, BOS 18 4 million (based on current scale not new CBA)

That is 85.4 million from 10 players and doesn't even account for the increase in rookie salaries expected with the new CBA.  If you keep the 4 guys above (that aren't under contract for 18) you would probably be looking at something like

Thomas 22 million
Bradley 18 million
Olynyk 16 million (2nd year of his extension)
Smart 12 million

I think those are reasonable enough salaries barring injury or drastic changes in play for another 68 million.  Add that to the 85.4 million and you are looking at a payroll of 153.4 million dollars with one open roster spot (for Mickey or Jackson or someone else). 

There is no way Boston is holding a 150 million plus payroll.  None at all.  That is just too high even for a legit contender.  That is why I think Boston will look to move players and assets either at the deadline or this summer for a player.  They have to consolidate and upgrade the starting lineup and just adding a max contract player in free agency doesn't alleviate these other issues.  So like if Hayward signs, I would absolutely expect Bradley and/or Smart to get moved.  If Boston adds a PF/C, I would expect Olynyk to be let go, etc.

TP - way to crunch the numbers

I can see maybe 130 mil, it is up to Wyc, but 150 mil is hard to fathom.  I just don't see everybody back in 2 years.  I think KO and IT4 are most vulnerable.  I just don't see IT4 as the starting PG of a world championship team.  He scores a lot - but very inefficiently.  I don't think he will tolerate coming off the bench in 2 years.  Do we need him now?  Of course, but I am talking about in 2 years - project 2 years of development for MS and TR.

I don't want Blake or Boogie. I want Harry Giles.

I don't want Gordon or if means moving on from AB.  In this new small ball era, I think AB and GH could play together.

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We should do whatever is necessary to keep Avery. Dude just keeps getting better.  And probably will re-sign for considerably less than IT, is my gut.  Love IT too, but feel his $$ will be too high to make our cap work.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2016, 02:44:36 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
If we don't trade for a franchise superstar this upcoming summer, I find it hard to see us being a contender. Because extending many talented players over the 2018 Summer will financially cripple our chances of contending. That is why I suggest we trade one or two to consolidate the talent to retain flexibility in the future.

2018 Summer: need to resign Bradley, IT, and Smart

Bradley is going to get at least $20M no question.  If KCP from Detriot is asking for this upcoming summer, Bradley is definitely getting more the following summer.  He is an above 20% of the cap type player.  IT is going to demand the MAX.  He is obviously better than Horford (offensive talents always more valuable monetarily) and will be getting around 28.6% of the cap ( Max 7-9 years experience).  That is $50 Million for 2018/2019 (on top of that Horford adds another 29 = 79 Million for 3 players is over 77% of the cap). 

If Marcus Smart improves his offense, his efficiency, will command at lead Evan Turner value.  So add another 18%, leaving us about 5% of 102 (5.1 Million), so the 25 remaining under the Luxury cap would have to be used to fill out 10 positions. 

Now, if we want to retain any of our bench-players, Olynyk is going to want 12-14M (12%) , Brown will be at 6M (6%), Rozier 3M, and would have to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts.

I just don't see how that we are contenders if we can't expect to retain our players (and they're aren't true contenders yet).

Trading for Cousins would be a great way to consolidate talent.  He will demand the MAX. about 29M.  so if we can get 40 Million of Talent off our books the same year we resign him, then it would be like saving 11 million. 

Note: I'm not suggesting that we waste talent. But if two players are getting 40 million and are equal halves to Cousins (at 29M). 

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
paying the luxury tax and paying the highest tax bill in NBA history are two entirely different things. 

If Boston signs a true max contract player next summer, I can't see anyway it keeps all of Bradley, Thomas, Crowder, Smart, and Olynyk. 

I mean you are looking at in 2018

Horford 29 million
Other Max FA 28 million
Crowder 7.3 million
Brown 5.1 million
BKN 17 5 million (based on current scale not new CBA)
BKN 18 4 million (based on current scale not new CBA)
Rozier 3 million
Zizic, Yab, BOS 18 4 million (based on current scale not new CBA)

That is 85.4 million from 10 players and doesn't even account for the increase in rookie salaries expected with the new CBA.  If you keep the 4 guys above (that aren't under contract for 18) you would probably be looking at something like

Thomas 22 million
Bradley 18 million
Olynyk 16 million (2nd year of his extension)
Smart 12 million

I think those are reasonable enough salaries barring injury or drastic changes in play for another 68 million.  Add that to the 85.4 million and you are looking at a payroll of 153.4 million dollars with one open roster spot (for Mickey or Jackson or someone else). 

There is no way Boston is holding a 150 million plus payroll.  None at all.  That is just too high even for a legit contender.  That is why I think Boston will look to move players and assets either at the deadline or this summer for a player.  They have to consolidate and upgrade the starting lineup and just adding a max contract player in free agency doesn't alleviate these other issues.  So like if Hayward signs, I would absolutely expect Bradley and/or Smart to get moved.  If Boston adds a PF/C, I would expect Olynyk to be let go, etc.

TP - way to crunch the numbers

I can see maybe 130 mil, it is up to Wyc, but 150 mil is hard to fathom.  I just don't see everybody back in 2 years.  I think KO and IT4 are most vulnerable.  I just don't see IT4 as the starting PG of a world championship team.  He scores a lot - but very inefficiently.  I don't think he will tolerate coming off the bench in 2 years.  Do we need him now?  Of course, but I am talking about in 2 years - project 2 years of development for MS and TR.

I don't want Blake or Boogie. I want Harry Giles

I don't want Gordon or if means moving on from AB.  In this new small ball era, I think AB and GH could play together.
I want Blake and Harry Giles
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19