Author Topic: So do we let IT and Avery walk as free agents after next season?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This season, next season. That's all we've got left of Avery and IT taking up their combined $14-$15 million of our cap room. They are arguably the best value/bargain starting guard combo in the NBA (salary cap wise).
But what offers will they get and at what point do we let them walk?

It makes me think that Danny will not trade Rozier or Smart unless an absolute jackpot offer comes along, because soon enough they may be the starting guard tandem.

So at what point do we let them walk? I feel like they are both going to want way more than we should pay them.
Avery is looking at around at least $15-$17 million per year. (some even think over 20 million).
IT is looking at $20+ Million per year.

What do we do?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: So do we let IT and Avery walk as free agents after next season?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I think AB just keeps getting better and better, adding things to his overall game.  Younger than IT, great defensive and overall glue guy.  I think you keep him, even if that means paying him what he is worth.

IT is built for regular season, not late rounds of the playoffs - lack of height is such a liability (sorry), plus he will be no spring chicken at end of his contract.  He is the one I would try to trade before we have to let him walk.

Future back court of AB, MS, TR.

I am also not sure if we can afford KO next summer and still maintain financial flexibility.  I think that is why DA quickly signed Ryan Kelly last week.  Ryan is a less talented version of KO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:44:15 AM by otherdave »

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:01:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
N

O

C

H

A

N

C

E

!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
AB and IT will get a better offer then Evan Turner did which will make it difficult for Ainge to balance the team and cap unless Wyc doesn't mind spending 130 mil per year 3-4 years from now.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Smart will be an RFA in two years also.  If he improves his shooting, he could be looking at 15M per year.  I think IT will be the odd man out. 

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It's far from a given that Smart and Rozier can be our starting backcourt of the future. 

Smart struggled when he started last year, although he looks improved this preseason.  Rozier has a lot to prove that he can be a starting quality PG for a good team over a long season.

I say if we land a big star let's say Griffin in FA it makes more sense to re-sign Thomas and Bradley with their bird rights and go over the cap.  If we have basically the same team 2 years from now it's a little less clear.

I like them both but neither one of them are so good where if a good trade presented itself for an upgrade that you would pass on.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IT imo is the odd man out... it will be like the ET situation all over again

IT: I want to stay. Lets get a deal done. But I have been underpaid. Bring out the brink trucks

Danny:  15 million per year for 3-4 years (even with the raised cap)

In the end I bet a team like the Pelicans offer him a 4 year 18-20 million per season. And IT walks

And this will be a sure case if the Celts cant escape the 1st round again

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This season, next season. That's all we've got left of Avery and IT taking up their combined $14-$15 million of our cap room. They are arguably the best value/bargain starting guard combo in the NBA (salary cap wise).

It makes me think that Danny will not trade Rozier or Smart unless an absolute jackpot offer comes along, because soon enough they may be the starting guard tandem.

So at what point do we let them walk? I feel like they are both going to want way more than we should pay them.
Avery is looking at around at least $15-$17 million per year. (some even think over 20 million).

What do we do?
We go above the cap to keep them. If we let them walk we lose them for nothing. We can pay them and still deal them in the future.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
IT is good as gone. 

Bradley we will pay to keep.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
IT is good as gone. 

Agree here.

IT will be overpaid most likley  by someone else. Keep Bradley  for his all around game.

All we need is Smart or Rozier to step up or grow up and IT is expendable.

That is still  a formidable backcourt.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
IT is good as gone. 

Agree here.

IT will be overpaid most likley  by someone else. Keep Bradley  for his all around game.

Why is that? Other teams won't want to pay him a max for the same reasons that we won't want to pay him a max. I'm OK with signing him for like 15-18 million for 3 years once his contract is up though. I seriously doubt he get a max offer anywhere. Other teams have had the same concerns about him, currently have the same concerns about him, and will continue to have the same concerns about him.

Otherwise, he would have easily gotten a much better offer than the one he got from Phoenix after he averaged like 20 and 6 in his third year. Teams like his skill set, but also won't dish out money to him because of his stature. I think he ends up staying in Boston.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

What do we do?
We go above the cap to keep them. If we let them walk we lose them for nothing. We can pay them and still deal them in the future.

But isnt the idea there that we would be paying them, and limit our flexibility? Say we paid IT4 a huge contract to keep him here, then a megastar wants to come here. But we cant because we gave the brinks truck to IT4.

At that point we may even have to GIVE assets to dump his contract on a team that is under the cap enough that we wouldnt have to match salaries (in effect making a salary dump useless.)
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IT is good as gone. 

Agree here.

Why is that? Other teams won't want to pay him a max for the same reasons that we won't want to pay him a max. I'm OK with signing him for like 15-18 million for 3 years once his contract is up though. I seriously doubt he get a max offer anywhere. Other teams have had the same concerns about him, currently have the same concerns about him, and will continue to have the same concerns about him.

Otherwise, he would have easily gotten a much better offer than the one he got from Phoenix after he averaged like 20 and 6 in his third year. Teams like his skill set, but also won't dish out money to him because of his stature. I think he ends up staying in Boston.

Well same can be said about ET, Ryan Anderson and they got paid larger amounts by somebody else

IT getting a few million dollars more or one additional will mean he wont be back

If Rozier and Smart can play as expected, there wont be urgency to keep IT for the long run... plus his attitude that he needs to start wont make things go smoothly....

Can you imagine IT reaction when cbs tells him rozier will be starting or rozier ends the the game and he has to come off the bench?

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Depends on what they really want and the state of the Celtics.  Boston isn't going to pay 125 million for a team like now that isn't a real contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The C's will be over the cap by the time their contracts are up anyway.