Author Topic: 2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread  (Read 26883 times)

Re: 2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This is why Durant going to GS seemed like a no-win move, perception-wise. They're not winning 73 again, so they will be dogged all year with questions about whether he's hurting the team, making other players disillusioned, etc etc. There's no avoiding it, and as the most prominent team in the league it will be constant.

There's basically no chance it will go away until they win a ring, but even then they won one without him, so there will likely be criticism that he didn't really improve the team, didn't really earn the ring, etc. And that's if they win one soon. If they go a season or two without a championship it will be deafening. The flak Miami took in the first LeBron year times 2 or 3.

Yeah I agree.  For him personally he would have to win like what, 3 there to shut people up?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is why Durant going to GS seemed like a no-win move, perception-wise. They're not winning 73 again, so they will be dogged all year with questions about whether he's hurting the team, making other players disillusioned, etc etc. There's no avoiding it, and as the most prominent team in the league it will be constant.

There's basically no chance it will go away until they win a ring, but even then they won one without him, so there will likely be criticism that he didn't really improve the team, didn't really earn the ring, etc. And that's if they win one soon. If they go a season or two without a championship it will be deafening. The flak Miami took in the first LeBron year times 2 or 3.

Yeah I agree.  For him personally he would have to win like what, 3 there to shut people up?

At least 2, or 1 with a Finals MVP or a Finals game winning shot or two I'd say. And some will never shut up, even then.

And the thing about that kind of constant negativity is that even if it isn't true at the beginning, it can eventually become true through repetition and start to undermine the team psychologically. I'm not sure if GS is resilient enough to become tougher under that kind of microscope.  Looooooong season ahead though, of course. But this will come up after every loss and even some wins.

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

And the thing about that kind of constant negativity is that even if it isn't true at the beginning, it can eventually become true through repetition and start to undermine the team psychologically. I'm not sure if GS is resilient enough to become tougher under that kind of microscope.  Looooooong season ahead though, of course. But this will come up after every loss and even some wins.

More and more prodding can't be good for Draymond either.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Maybe the warriors are taking my previous suggestion and intentionally losing the first 10 games of the season.  That will take the pressure off to match last season's 73 win team.  It will also prematurely change the narrative to it being a failure.  It might even take the target off their back. I'm pretty sure that sackless sissyboy Kevin Durant would appreciate it more if teams didn't try so hard to win against him.   After they throw the first 10 games maybe spineless Durant and his new sidekicks will be able to cut through the league like a buzzsaw through water as they intend without pesky teams giving them competition. Durant hates competition. When he was a kid he refused to play any videogames without his trusty GameGenie.  He exclusively plays first person shooters on easy mode with invincibility cheat codes enabled.  Dude refused to even play "The Sims" without the infinite money cheat.  He just sat there decorating elaborate bathrooms without any concern for cost. It probably upset him that the spurs tried so hard to win last night and didn't just hand him a "W".  If I know my boy Durant, that softie probably immediately requested a trade to a Spurs during halftime. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:19:26 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Nice win by the Spurs. MVP performance from Kawhi. I'm glad to see GS lose to take the shine off them a little bit (and hopefully shut up some of these idiot sports writers who think they're the greatest team ever before ever playing a game) but they're still going to win more than 65 games.
65 is a high number. But this was good for the Spurs.

65 is a high number, but they should hit it. They won 73 games last year without Durant.

I'm hoping for a repeat of Lebron's first year in Miami, but it's probably unrealistic. Unlike that Heat team, Golden State's core has some continuity.
That first year in Miami, I think they ran into problem because Lebron was their best player but he was trying to give Wade space to be the leader. I can see a situation like that occurring in GS where Durant defers to Curry a little too much when Durant is actually the better player (I don't know for sure that he is, but I suspect that will be borne out over the season) and that might create problems.

But when I say problems, it's all relative. They still probably make the Finals.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Nice win by the Spurs. MVP performance from Kawhi. I'm glad to see GS lose to take the shine off them a little bit (and hopefully shut up some of these idiot sports writers who think they're the greatest team ever before ever playing a game) but they're still going to win more than 65 games.

65 is a high number, but they should hit it. They won 73 games last year without Durant.

I'm hoping for a repeat of Lebron's first year in Miami, but it's probably unrealistic. Unlike that Heat team, Golden State's core has some continuity.
That first year in Miami, I think they ran into problem because Lebron was their best player but he was trying to give Wade space to be the leader. I can see a situation like that occurring in GS where Durant defers to Curry a little too much when Durant is actually the better player (I don't know for sure that he is, but I suspect that will be borne out over the season) and that might create problems.

But when I say problems, it's all relative. They still probably make the Finals.

I am wondering if Curry will have a shorter peak than some other players that have reached his status. A lot of the criticisms that could be applied for IT having a shorter peak than other players also apply to Curry.

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I am wondering if Curry will have a shorter peak than some other players that have reached his status. A lot of the criticisms that could be applied for IT having a shorter peak than other players also apply to Curry.

How so? Curry is 6'3".

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I imagine the NBA is thrilled Golden State got blown out in game 1.   Had Golden State actually opened the season with a 30 point blowout of the 67 win Spurs, it would really put a dark cloud over the beginning of the season.  If they can easily beat the Spurs, it gives no hope to the rest of the league and makes the season a foregone conclusion.

It's still probably a foregone conclusion.  Golden State remains by far the favorites to win the title this year.  But at least seeing them get beat right out of the gate gives other teams some misguided hope that the Warriors haven't locked up the next decade of championships.

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

This is a key point.  The "problem" people are desperate to see Golden State have is a team that struggles to coexist offensively.  Players struggling to defer to one another.  That's been the problem with other super teams in the past like the Lakers and the Heat.  That's a problem that teams have when they put multiple ball-dominant players together and ask them to share the ball.  Wade needed the ball to succeed.  LeBron needed the ball to succeed.  How do you get both of those guys to be effective when they both create with the ball?   Unfortunately, that wasn't the "problem' on display last night.  Durant scored 27 efficiently.  Curry scored 26 efficiently.  Draymond scored 18 efficiently.   Klay struggled shooting, but he had 13 shot attempts of his own.  The team scored 100 points against a team that was by far the best defensively in the league last year (the 67 win Spurs held opponents to a league-best 92.9ppg last season).   The pace-and-space offense was not at all impacted by the arrival of Durant.  None of those guys need the ball to be effective.  Durant's arrival will just make things easier for the rest of the Warriors.  The rest of the Warriors will just make things easier for Durant.  You could see that last night.  Nobody was double-teamed.  Superstars had wide open shots and wide open lanes.  What I saw scared me as a fan of the league.   On paper, they remain unstoppable in a 7 game series.

If you watched the game, the "problem" that the Warriors had last night wasn't a failure to coexist offensively.  It was being dominated on the boards... an issue that wouldn't have been made better by having Barnes on the floor instead of Durant.   Their other problem was a failure to defend a red-hot Spurs team that was firing on all cylinders.  I'm sorry, but Bogut doesn't make THAT much of a difference.  The Spurs were just outstanding last night.  They shot 50%/50%/90% as a team.    That's part the Spurs playing well and part some defensive lapses that you figure time will resolve as the new crop of Warriors get familiar with each other.   The next problem was one too many missed layups and turnovers (16)... once again a sign of a team that is getting familiar with each other.   Last problem was the Warriors shooting 7-33 from three (21%)....   If you're expecting a team that has Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry to shoot 21% from three every night, I don't know what to to tell ya.  Steph and Klay shooting a combined 4-16 from three had nothing to do with Kevin Durant breaking their chemistry... they just missed shots.   The spacing was there.   The talent is there.   The shots were there.  They are going to be an incredible team this year. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:05:43 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How so? Curry is 6'3".

Well first off, I really have a hard time believing Curry is 6'3 just looking at him on the court. But even if he is, he has one of the tiniest frames in the game and already is vulnerable to getting bullied on the court, especially on defense. While Curry is also in a different world from shooting than IT (or anyone else for that matter) part of what makes him is great is his speed and agility to get off these shots in the tiniest of openings. As he slows down he will probably get his shot blocked a ton and be even more vulnerable on defense.

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This is a key point.  The "problem" people are desperate to see Golden State have is a team that struggles to coexist offensively.  Players struggling to defer to one another.  That's been the problem with other super teams in the past like the Lakers and the Heat.  That's a problem that teams have when they put multiple ball-dominant players together and ask them to share the ball.  Wade needed the ball to succeed.  LeBron needed the ball to succeed.  How do you get both of those guys to be effective when they both create with the ball?   Unfortunately, that wasn't the "problem' on display last night.  Durant scored 27 efficiently.  Curry scored 26 efficiently.  Draymond scored 18 efficiently.   Klay struggled shooting, but he had 13 shot attempts of his own.  The team scored 100 points against a team that was by far the best defensively in the league last year (the 67 win Spurs held opponents to a league-best 92.9ppg last season).   The pace-and-space offense was not at all impacted by the arrival of Durant.  None of those guys need the ball to be effective.  Durant's arrival will just make things easier for the rest of the Warriors.  The rest of the Warriors will just make things easier for Durant.  You could see that last night.  Nobody was double-teamed.  Superstars had wide open shots and wide open lanes.  What I saw scared me as a fan of the league.   On paper, they remain unstoppable in a 7 game series.

If you watched the game, the "problem" that the Warriors had last night wasn't a failure to coexist offensively.  It was being dominated on the boards... an issue that wouldn't have been made better by having Barnes on the floor instead of Durant.   Their other problem was a failure to defend a red-hot Spurs team that was firing on all cylinders.  I'm sorry, but Bogut doesn't make THAT much of a difference.  The Spurs were just outstanding last night.  They shot 50%/50%/90% as a team.    That's part the Spurs playing well and part some defensive lapses that you figure time will resolve as the new crop of Warriors get familiar with each other.   The next problem was one too many missed layups and turnovers (16)... once again a sign of a team that is getting familiar with each other.   Last problem was the Warriors shooting 7-33 from three (21%)....   If you're expecting a team that has Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry to shoot 21% from three every night, I don't know what to to tell ya.  Steph and Klay shooting a combined 4-16 from three had nothing to do with Kevin Durant breaking their chemistry... they just missed shots.   The spacing was there.   The talent is there.   The shots were there.  They are going to be an incredible team this year.
I think that's a good analysis and I don't really disagree with any of that. But I still think there's potential problems with everyone understanding their roles. Once Lebron truly took over and Wade conceded his leadership role to Lebron, James became more effective and Wade became a really good off-ball cutter. Both guys had great years that first year in Miami (and the team was good enough to be favored in the Finals) but the team went to another level when they figured out the best way to use everyone.

So while all the numbers from the starters looked good last night, I still think there's potential for a problem, in terms of utilizing everyone to their fullest.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2016, 07:23:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
GS has the least amount of wins in nba history right now but so do we.  They are going to beat a lot of teams on sheer talent. I question how focused they will be all the time though.  The Spurs look really impressive even with an aging parker. 

Aldridge is a helluva player.  So is Kawii.   They have a good bench too with SImmons and Anderson and patty mills and guys like that.  Aldridge and Horford two classic big men and underrated in ways.   We have Isaiah and our guards and Brown. They have Kawii and experienced guards and their bench. 

I like our team(s) better than the Clevelands and GS's of the world. I will root for them to lose.

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:29 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I imagine the NBA is thrilled Golden State got blown out in game 1.   Had Golden State actually opened the season with a 30 point blowout of the 67 win Spurs, it would really put a dark cloud over the beginning of the season.  If they can easily beat the Spurs, it gives no hope to the rest of the league and makes the season a foregone conclusion.

It's still probably a foregone conclusion.  Golden State remains by far the favorites to win the title this year.  But at least seeing them get beat right out of the gate gives other teams some misguided hope that the Warriors haven't locked up the next decade of championships.

::)

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2016, 01:12:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

The box score suggests Steph and Klay had jitters/ felt insecure alongside a superior player. 

Wow you must be the expert.  Maybe ask us people who watched the game more.  And maybe it's not "insecurity" but 3 shooters aren't the best fit to share the ball.

You guys are still just talking fit, their fit isn't making there be a decent C or backup C on the team.  Or backup PF even.

This team will win their regular season games for sure.  But in the Playoffs when games go inside and slow down, this will be an issue.

Please don't air-quote me, Snakehead(?). I don't see them as strictly "3 shooters," possibly the most lethal offensive unit ever pieced together, though.  If their C/PF positions define who they are, you deserve 1k TPs; else, you're talking complete nonsense after the first game of the season.

So you're on record that they're going to struggle in the playoff? Shed light on this theory of yours?  I imagine you've thoroughly thought this through.

This must be the analytical type of post you are expecting from fellow CsBloggers, right?  Or, just agreeing with probably the most beloved member of the forum because that's easy and comfy? You've been throwing shade at me for a while now, but I've no idea why -- best guess is that you're a Smart megafan?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:38:27 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 01:37:41 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Huge game tomorrow against okc. Kind of fortunate they get okc on second night of back to back on road. Will Adams and kanter eat them alive inside