Author Topic: 2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread  (Read 26881 times)

Re: 2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Curse of the Durant

Good

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
I'm hoping that Dray grows into a full locker room cancer.  He's grown into maybe my least favorite player in the NBA.

I have the same sentiment. I'm fine with the Splash bros but KD and Draymond make this Dubs team hateable for me.

His comments on Paul Pierce was the dagger for me. Complete disrespect to the TRUTH

Such a shame because only last season he was a joy to watch but his dirty play and big mouth needs to be shut permanently.

I hope the GSW continue to fail against strong teams. Show Kevin the bandwagon durant that he doesn't deserve a championship and he made a huge mistake

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Durant had 27 points on 11-18 shooting.  Steph had 26 points on 9-18 shooting.   Green had 18 points on 7-15 shooting.   Klay had 11 on 5-13 shooting and was 1-6 from three... perhaps the worst performance of the 4 All-NBA players.  But they put up 100 points against a top 3 team coming off a 67 win season.  Nothing there suggests those guys are going to struggle to coexist offensively.  They did, however, get dominated on the boards by one of the league's uniquely large teams.  55 to 35 on rebounds.  They can't easily solve their size problem, but it should be noted that a lot of people felt they matched up poorly with San Antonio last year as well.  Size problem isn't a problem with the vast majority of the league going small.  Warriors also turned the ball over 16 times and shot an uncharacteristic 21% from three.   Those are things that are understandable given it's the first real game this group has played with Durant.   Even though they mesh exceptionally well, there's still a necessary adjustment period as the team shifts from having the guy in the Barnes slot go from the #4 to the #1 option.

Anyways... Spurs are a great team.  Best not to read too much into the first game of a season.  Remember when Pitino's Celtics won opening night against Jordan's Bulls coming off their 5th championship on their way to title 6?

So, essentially you're saying that 3 out of the 4 had great games, yet they still lost by 29 points.  ;)

Look, you can't read too much into one game, and this being the first game makes this expected. BUT it absolutely does vindicate many of the suspicions that many of us Warriors doubters have been expressing all along - 1) they're significantly worse defensively, which is very problematic; 2) they're worse in rebounding, which was already an issue to begin with; and 3) they're still (and always will be) turnover-prone due to their style of play.

If they want to have any shot of coming out of a difficult Western Conference, then they will HAVE to get better defensively, because there's pretty much nothing they're going to be able to do about their rebounding and turnover issues. They've struggled to take care of the ball their entire time together - it's just an accepted unfortunate consequence of their type of play. Further, there's not much they can do on the boards either due to their commitment to be so small.

But how they're going to become better defensively is the ultimate question, because they had to get rid of their rim protection/lane clogger/interior defense when they signed Durant. They're pretty much going to have to rely on excellent team defense (especially the utilization of help defense) and perimeter defense to get by. Green and Klay help in that regard, though Klay is very overrated at times defensively, but Curry and Durant are not necessarily known as great team defenders, especially with Curry's habit of getting beat at the top of the key often.

They'll get better in time by playing with each other, but they're going to have to get significantly better over the course of the season if they think they're getting to the Finals. Your ceiling is very limited in the playoffs if you have Swiss Cheese defense.
What do you mean if they want to have a chance at coming out of the western conference? Are you implying they aren't heavy favorites to win the WCF?

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Nice win by the Spurs. MVP performance from Kawhi. I'm glad to see GS lose to take the shine off them a little bit (and hopefully shut up some of these idiot sports writers who think they're the greatest team ever before ever playing a game) but they're still going to win more than 65 games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

The box score suggests Steph and Klay had jitters/ felt insecure alongside a superior player. 

Wow you must be the expert.  Maybe ask us people who watched the game more.  And maybe it's not "insecurity" but 3 shooters aren't the best fit to share the ball.

You guys are still just talking fit, their fit isn't making there be a decent C or backup C on the team.  Or backup PF even.

This team will win their regular season games for sure.  But in the Playoffs when games go inside and slow down, this will be an issue.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:22:36 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Nice win by the Spurs. MVP performance from Kawhi. I'm glad to see GS lose to take the shine off them a little bit (and hopefully shut up some of these idiot sports writers who think they're the greatest team ever before ever playing a game) but they're still going to win more than 65 games.
65 is a high number. But this was good for the Spurs.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
65 is a high number. But this was good for the Spurs.

65 is a high number, but they should hit it. They won 73 games last year without Durant.

I'm hoping for a repeat of Lebron's first year in Miami, but it's probably unrealistic. Unlike that Heat team, Golden State's core has some continuity. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This will end up being a bad signing

Curry and Klay will have to watch while Durant takes his shots

Green also will have less time with the ball to do his point fwd things

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought this was interesting:

When Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant were both on the floor, the Warriors actually outscored the Spurs by one. The problems came when Golden State tried playing with one but not the other. They were outscored by 10 points when Curry was on the floor without Durant and outscored by 14 when Durant was on the court without Curry.

In fact, the Warriors were plus-5 when all four of their "Big 4" were on the court at the same time. They were outscored by 34 when any one of those players was off the court.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I thought this was interesting:

When Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant were both on the floor, the Warriors actually outscored the Spurs by one. The problems came when Golden State tried playing with one but not the other. They were outscored by 10 points when Curry was on the floor without Durant and outscored by 14 when Durant was on the court without Curry.

In fact, the Warriors were plus-5 when all four of their "Big 4" were on the court at the same time. They were outscored by 34 when any one of those players was off the court.

Just a coincidence imo

Another issue will be defense. Bogut and Barnes key losses on the defensive end.... durant can be solid if he tries... but half the time he does not. Tries to utilize length, athleticism vs positioning, effort

We will see how this plays out

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Losing Bogut has essentially taken away an entire aspect of their game. 

They use to have two speeds.  Standard and the Death lineup.  Seems they sacrificed their standard lineup to improve the death squad.  Problem is, they now only really can play one way.  Without that change of pace, they'll be easier to game plan against. 

Likely going to take a bit before they discover their new identity. 

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
#hotsportstake Wednesday is full force.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 10:23:03 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
This team will be coasting for much of the year similar to how the Cavs did last year or any other great team has in the history of the NBA. They have very little to prove during the regular season. I'd be surprised if we see them playing at 100 percent effort before mid season.

Anyone drawing conclusions that the Warriors can be had is premature. Let's wait and see how they play at 100 percent effort.

Remember people had similar thoughts about the Caveliers until we saw that team after they turned up the intensity in the playoffs. They were a completely different team then they were early regular season.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:28:24 AM by TrueFan »

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Any team that shoots that many 3s will have some outlier games when 3s don't drop and they lose. Then again, SA has always be excellent at defending 3s. Combining that with GS's issues on defense and rebounding issues and SA could be a continued nightmare for them.

On the other hand, Simmons isn't going to rain daggers nightly.

The biggest problem for GS is that any changes to a team as great as last year's team brings a significance chance of regression to the mean. The reality is that we can't be fully reductive when analyzing a team's success such that we can swap out parts and know the impact.

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is why Durant going to GS seemed like a no-win move, perception-wise. They're not winning 73 again, so they will be dogged all year with questions about whether he's hurting the team, making other players disillusioned, etc etc. There's no avoiding it, and as the most prominent team in the league it will be constant.

There's basically no chance it will go away until they win a ring, but even then they won one without him, so there will likely be criticism that he didn't really improve the team, didn't really earn the ring, etc. And that's if they win one soon. If they go a season or two without a championship it will be deafening. The flak Miami took in the first LeBron year times 2 or 3.