Author Topic: Watching Theo Epstein, Jon Lester and Francona in the World series  (Read 6064 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Is like getting kicked in the family jewels. Lester 3 and 0 with a 0.43 era in the world series, and we gave over a quarter billion to David Price who can't wim one postseason game! SMH!

Re: Watching Theo Epstein, Jon Lester and Francona in the World series
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Don't forget ALCS MVP Andrew Miller.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Don't forget Napoli and Miller.  Lackey's there also.

Funny, quite a few faces from the 07 and 13 WS teams in the WS this year!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Dont forget Davis Ross.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I know those other guys hurt to, but the three I mentioned should absolutely still be Boston Red Sox.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's frustrating to see all these guys that the Sox cast off being integral parts of this year's World Series.  (That being said, a change of scenery was what was best in some cases).    Happy for Theo & Francona, though, because I always felt they were trashed by the Sox on their ways out the door.

Growing up in MA, I always saw the Cubs are the NL spiritual brother of the Sox (pre '04) and, hence, they were the one Chicago team I took a keen interest in when I moved out here in '09.  Been living on the north side for the past 7 years so what's going on right now has been pretty awesome to see up close. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:20:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think one of the worst things the Sox did ever was when they badmouthed Tito on the way out and said he wasn't focused from going through a divorce.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean come on, though, how fun was it to watch David Price this year? 

And Craig Kimbrel.  So impressive!

Pablo Sandoval, too, he's a barrel of laughs, right? Super fun to watch.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:58:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Lets not be too critical of the best ownership team in Red Sox history.

The current Red Sox team has as bright a future as anybody and while Price over Lester looks bad. I dont have a huge problem with the logic behind either move.

Everyone knew Price was an overpay and while Lester has been terrific in the playoffs I think its hard to evaluate playoff stats. I mean Oakland acquired Lester for the playoffs and he didnt show up for them. Josh Beckett was a proven playoff stud untill he sucked in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs. I also expect Price to come back and thrust himself back into the CY convo next year.

The Tito smear campaign was disgusting. Ill agree there.

However:
Ramirez-Pedroia-Bogaerts-Moncada-Vazques/Swihart-Bradley-Benintendi-Betts
Price-Porcello-Wright-Rodriguez-Pomeranz
Kimbrel-Barnes-Kelly

with a top notch farm system.

not bad.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
It's frustrating to see all these guys that the Sox cast off being integral parts of this year's World Series.  (That being said, a change of scenery was what was best in some cases).    Happy for Theo & Francona, though, because I always felt they were trashed by the Sox on their ways out the door.

Growing up in MA, I always saw the Cubs are the NL spiritual brother of the Sox (pre '04) and, hence, they were the one Chicago team I took a keen interest in when I moved out here in '09.  Been living on the north side for the past 7 years so what's going on right now has been pretty awesome to see up close.
Im currently in northern Indiana and plan on driving up to Chicago this weekend just to hang around wrigleyville during and after the games. Atmosphere is crazy.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Im currently in northern Indiana and plan on driving up to Chicago this weekend just to hang around wrigleyville during and after the games. Atmosphere is crazy.

Get up there early. Wrigleyville is the epicenter of insanity/stupidity these days.  Also, a ridiculous amount of price gouging going on with those bars right now. Insane mark ups and cover charges. 

Live in Lakeview about a mile from Wrigley.  We've been avoiding Wrigleyville like the plague during these games (30 somethings, so we don't need that). Watched Sat night's clincher in Wicker Park and that was wild enough.   

Amazing feeling of energy in the city right now. Reminds me of being around Boston in '04 (Was living in Somerville at the time) Has that same buzz. Hopefully, it ends the same way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:22:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keep in mind that without the Lester trade, we wouldn't have had Porcello this year.

Plus, do we win in 2013 with Tito and Theo? It's not guaranteed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, its certainly odd feeling. However, i dont honestly have much pain or animosity toward the three you mentioned. It would be one thing if we hadnt won, butwr have had 3 recent world series wins. One of those wins had no theo, no francona. Most of my animosity is toward our owners, who i think drove theo out my interfering too much, unnecessarily smeared francona, and tried to lowball lester and play out the negotiation for home town discount in the press. But even that animosity is minimal, since the owners have overseen those 3 world series wins. Additionally, none of the three you mentioned trashed boston, so hard to have bad feelings in that regard. And, we have a great young team.

The one that teally stings me is rizzo. Stupid short sighted move. Should have been a sox lifer.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Don't forget Napoli and Miller.  Lackey's there also.

Funny, quite a few faces from the 07 and 13 WS teams in the WS this year!
Yep, and that makes me happy. Our ex-sox are doing well one more time. I am happy for them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva