Author Topic: Official Celtics Predictions!  (Read 6948 times)

Re: Official Celtics Predictions!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Jaylen Brown will Posterize Ingram, AKA the stick who runs like a snail.

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
overall record - 52-30
1 all star selection - Horford, not starting
we finish 3rd behind Cleveland and Toronto, with Indy coming in just behind us at 4th.
Jaylen finishes 3rd in the rookie of the year voting
Stevens finishes 2nd in the coach of the year poll
We win our opening round playoff series and then lose in a tough 7 game series with Toronto.

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Overall record 57-25(2nd in the east behind Cleveland)

Avery Bradley continues to improve and has a career year.  Trade rumors persist however.

Jaylen is playing a big role for us come playoff time

Celtics topple the cavaliers in a 7 game classic series and lose to the Spurs in the finals.

Horford is as good as advertised(in an understated way although some people still question how good he is.)   

We stay relatively healthy this year. The  bench continues to be in flux because of it and Ainge is left going into the offseason with a finals appearance and loads of draft picks.

I think the bench takes over this year though.   I really want to predict 62 wins.  I think the east will be somewhat tougher and it depends how fast our starters and bench gels.  If preseason is any indication we could get off to a rolling start which changes a lot.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:40:43 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
50-32 - 5th seed

Uh yeah, when was the last time a 5th seed in the East had 50 wins? 

Closest I can find is the Bulls had 49 wins as the 5th seed back in 07.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
55-27
2 seed.

Lose in 6 to Cavs ECF.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Man, a gentleman's sweep is a bit harsh. Hell, didn't Toronto take them to 6 last year?

It's true that Toronto won a couple last year.  I just think the Celts profile a lot more similarly to the Hawks than the Raps, and the Cavs swept the Hawks in back to back years.

The biggest issue in the matchup I see is that the Celts don't really have anybody to match up with LeBron -- all respect to Crowder -- and the Cavs are liable to dominate the boards and free throws in that matchup. 

The Celts simply don't have the firepower to overcome the disparity in those categories unless they force 20+ turnovers, which isn't especially likely to happen more than once over 5 games.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
One more for me: Al averages at least 17 points and 9 rebounds per game.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Non stop 24-7 fun fest.
Yup

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
50-32 - 5th seed

The 6th seed last year had 48 wins.  2 years ago the 7th seed in the West won 50 games (same as the year before that).  I think the conferences are a bit more balanced now.

I think Cleveland wins approximately 56 games.  Toronto approximately 54.  Indiana and Detroit approximately 51/52.  Which put Boston with 50 wins as the 5th seed.   I think Charlotte goes for around 45.  Atlanta around 43.  And then the Knicks, Bulls, Bucks, and Wizards all in the 37-40 range.  Magic around 35.  Sixers like 25 and Nets like 20.

Out West I'd peg GS and San An around 65, Clippers around 55, but then I see a big drop off and don't think any other team gets to even 50 wins with the Blazers, Jazz, Mavs, Thunder, and Grizzlies in the 40-45 range.  Wolves and Rockets around 37/38.  Kings, Nuggets, and Pelicans in the 30-34 range.  Lakers around 23 and the Suns at like 18. 

Those are approximations and based on reasonable health. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Is this the thread where ppl who have regretted their original predictions make new ones?

Because I recall another thread early this summer with different predictions.

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Kelly Olynyk will be traded. I really like him as a player, but he's too unreliable (on the court/injuries) and young bigs are getting PAID.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
50-32 - 5th seed

The 6th seed last year had 48 wins.  2 years ago the 7th seed in the West won 50 games (same as the year before that).  I think the conferences are a bit more balanced now.

I think Cleveland wins approximately 56 games.  Toronto approximately 54.  Indiana and Detroit approximately 51/52.  Which put Boston with 50 wins as the 5th seed.   I think Charlotte goes for around 45.  Atlanta around 43.  And then the Knicks, Bulls, Bucks, and Wizards all in the 37-40 range.  Magic around 35.  Sixers like 25 and Nets like 20.

Out West I'd peg GS and San An around 65, Clippers around 55, but then I see a big drop off and don't think any other team gets to even 50 wins with the Blazers, Jazz, Mavs, Thunder, and Grizzlies in the 40-45 range.  Wolves and Rockets around 37/38.  Kings, Nuggets, and Pelicans in the 30-34 range.  Lakers around 23 and the Suns at like 18. 

I'm curious why you're higher on the Pistons than the Celtics. I know it's only 1 or 2 wins, but I just wanna know what you see in them that you like over us.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
50-32 - 5th seed

'

Does the math check out on those numbers?  Only so many wins in an NBA season.

Seems like there isn't often a win distribution on the upper end like what you describe, at least not in the East over the last decade.

Anyway, the salient point is the order of the standings, not the specific win total.

I am significantly lower on the Pacers than you.  I like the Pistons, but I don't think they have the offensive firepower or the wing defenders to finish with a top 4 seed. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bumping this since we're pretty close to having a real result, and it's always fun to see how predictions pan out.

Looks like my pick of 54 wins was a little bit optimistic, though in fairness I was just trying to one-up the guy who posted before me. But most picks were pretty close, though the seeds were sometimes further off.

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Record:

53-29, tied for the second best record in the East alongside the Raptors.

I did pretty well!

Except I said Horford would make the AS team while IT would miss the cut.  Yikes.

Also, I had Horford and Bradley making All-Defense.  Oops.

- Mark Twain