Author Topic: Official Celtics Predictions!  (Read 6967 times)

Re: Official Celtics Predictions!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
57-25. Good for 2nd in the east. I still give it a puncher's chance we get the #1 seed.
It all depends on how much Lebron seriously cares. He shouldn't have to. He's gone to 6 straight finals despite having the best record in the east for only 2 of those years. A Kyrie injury also sets them back, but a Love injury does nothing to harm them. He's seriously superfluous on that team. When they realize he does nothing to help them match-up against the Warriors they'll trade him for guys who will help them match-up with the Dubs. I also think Toronto takes a step back. They're going to miss Biyombo more than they realize. Their most efficient groups were with Biyombo at the 5, not Valanciunas. Also, Sully isn't a 4. He's a 5. His lack of mobility will make it too difficult for him to cover anyone outside of pure bigs.

Back to our team, C's were playing at a 53-win pace when they took David Lee out of the equation, and unlike in 2015, they actually beat some good teams when they went on their second half surge post-Lee. Horford is a great upgrade that this team desperately needed.
Most importantly, this team is built for the regular season. The starters will play phenomenally together but when defenses tighten come playoff time, it could be a different story.

Horford will be our lone all star. I love IT but he only made it last year because Kyrie had been out for too long. I'm not saying IT won't deserve it, but the fans like Irving and Wall more. Bold prediction: Avery Bradley will be closer to making it than IT. I think he and Horford showed they have terrific chemistry together and I advise you all to watch how they play. Crowder will also be heavily considered this year but he has to compete with Lebron, George, Carmelo, and Jimmy Butler. I don't see him beating them.

Horford will also make the all-NBA 3rd team. I think Horford is going to have one of his best seasons as a pro on the Celtics. He just fits the team in so many ways and they're going to rely on him more than Atlanta did.

All-defense teams: Avery (1st), Crowder and Smart (2nd). I think Bradley makes the strongest case for DPOY as a guard. I 100% believe Avery Bradley will have his best year as a pro. Remember that stretch he went on where he looked like a borderline star early on in the season? Yeah, that Avery will return with the vengeance this year and he'll stay this time.

The most obvious prediction: Brad wins COY. He's done so much for the team and now he's got a surefire star big man on his squad. Pending any surprises, he wins no question. His only competition is Thibs, and while I'm high on Minny being the young upstart team everyone will be rooting for, they are going to have growing pains.

This team gets to the ECF. Every competitor outside of Cleveland and Toronto has big question marks. celtics inevitably loses to Cleveland, but that's only if they stay the way they are currently constituted. They still have the assets to get someone. Especially if Smart, Rozier, and/or Brown look like studs. If this team gets Cousins or even Aldridge, things get more interesting.

Oh, and Brooklyn's getting us a top 3 pick in the draft. Even if they technically look better, they are also facing 13 teams (12 depending on whether or not Miami decides to tank ie trade goran Dragic) who will want to make the playoffs. Teams will relish the chance to play Brooklyn to get ahead. The nets will be essentially the 2014 Celtics. They'll look not unwatchable, but things are going to be BAD. Oh and the difference between them and the 2014 Celtics? The Celtics actually had several teams trying to out-tank them in 2014.

Get hyped guys. We're gonna have some fun with this team.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
Non-Celts prediction: Pacers are a 6-10 seed

I don't get the optimism.

I do but I don't agree with it. Jeff Teague, Thad Young, and Al Jefferson are nice pieces, but I don't think they are the right pieces.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
It'd be pretty neat to see AB as an All-Star, though I'm not sure if he's "flashy" enough to garner enough consideration.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I do but I don't agree with it. Jeff Teague, Thad Young, and Al Jefferson are nice pieces, but I don't think they are the right pieces.

Ehh, they're nice names, but I doubt the substance and the fit. Thad has always put up great numbers, but never on a good team. He's also a non-shooter and non-defender, kind of a throwback player. Al is just a shell of himself. He was pretty putrid last year, and I was absolutely shocked by the money he got, even in this environment. And Teague is fine, but Hill is probably better in a vacuum, and this isn't even a vacuum. Hill is a much, much better fit on that team as a non-ball-dominant shooter/defender. If you build in some healthy development for Myles Turner, you're left with a fairly meh team (40-44 wins?). They added overrated/declining talent that is seriously ill-fitting (pretty hard to envision this team actually playing fast). Maybe I'm being overly harsh, but I think it's pretty crazy to put Indy in the same conversation as Boston and Toronto.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
50-32
Injuries and depth are a problem, especially with the bigs.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 11:11:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Ehh, they're nice names, but I doubt the substance and the fit. Thad has always put up great numbers, but never on a good team. He's also a non-shooter and non-defender, kind of a throwback player. Al is just a shell of himself. He was pretty putrid last year, and I was absolutely shocked by the money he got, even in this environment. And Teague is fine, but Hill is probably better in a vacuum, and this isn't even a vacuum. Hill is a much, much better fit on that team as a non-ball-dominant shooter/defender. If you build in some healthy development for Myles Turner, you're left with a fairly meh team (40-44 wins?). They added overrated/declining talent that is seriously ill-fitting (pretty hard to envision this team actually playing fast). Maybe I'm being overly harsh, but I think it's pretty crazy to put Indy in the same conversation as Boston and Toronto.

So, in other words, their good pieces, but they're just not the right pieces?

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:04 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Overall Record - (60 - 22)

Final Standing in the East - (2nd in the East)

All-Stars - 2.5 sorry, I will go there on this prediction - 3 button saying who

All-Defensive Team(s) - AB
All-NBA Team(s) - Horford, Bradley, IT

Coach of the Year Award - Stevens

Any Other League-Wide Award - Brown - rookie of the year

Trades - Celtics pick up a significant free agent, otherwise no movement for now

Playoff Success - Lose to GSW in NBA finals (4-1) after Cavs lose LBJ to injury in conference finals after a wrestle with KO. Celtics win that 4-2.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 01:34:42 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
53-29.  Eastern Conference Finals. They had bad luck with injuries at end of season and in playoffs last spring.  That evens out this season.

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:51 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Overall Record - (60 - 22)

Final Standing in the East - (2nd in the East)

All-Stars - 2.5 sorry, I will go there on this prediction - 3 button saying who

All-Defensive Team(s) - AB
All-NBA Team(s) - Horford, Bradley, IT

Coach of the Year Award - Stevens

Any Other League-Wide Award - Brown - rookie of the year

Trades - Celtics pick up a significant free agent, otherwise no movement for now

Playoff Success - Lose to GSW in NBA finals (4-1) after Cavs lose LBJ to injury in conference finals after a wrestle with KO. Celtics win that 4-2.

60 wins and we still don't finish first in the conference? Cleveland must be going all out in the regular season then haha
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:23 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I say 57 wins is a good number.

Losing Evan Turner will hurt us, but Horford is soooo underrated. He is an elite big but doesn't get the recognition because he doesn't stat pad.

Good for #2 seed.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

So, in other words, their good pieces, but they're just not the right pieces?

They're okay pieces and very much not the right pieces.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
More slow and steady progress...which is fine.

53 wins.

Lose in 2nd round in 7 games.

The big progress comes 2017-18 with another big FA, a top 5 pick, and significant progress from Rozier, Smart, and Brown.

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I predict 52 wins.

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
50-32 - 5th seed
Horford - All NBA 3rd team
Bradley - All Defensive 2nd team
Thomas/Horford - All Star
Brown - All Rookie 1st team (4th in ROY)
Stevens - 3rd in coach of year
Lose in 2nd round to Cavs in 5
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 04:35:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
50-32 - 5th seed
Horford - All NBA 3rd team
Bradley - All Defensive 2nd team
Thomas/Horford - All Star
Brown - All Rookie 1st team (4th in ROY)
Stevens - 3rd in coach of year
Lose in 2nd round to Cavs in 5

50 wins and we're the 5th seed?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about