Author Topic: Official Celtics Predictions!  (Read 6949 times)

Official Celtics Predictions!
« on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Since the season starts today, I thought it'd be fun for everyone to post their final predictions for this season regarding the Celtics. Specifically, let's hear your predictions for the Celtics this season, and we can come back to this at the end of the year to see how close everyone was. I'll post mine along with the categories below:

Overall Record - (59 - 23)

Final Standing in the East - (1st in the East - yeah I went there; Cavs championship hangover)

All-Stars - (IT and Horford - at least one of which is a starter)

All-Defensive Team(s) - (2 of Bradley, Horford, and Crowder make it onto one of the teams, with Smart also receiving strong consideration)

All-NBA Team(s) - (Horford makes All-NBA 3rd Team)

Coach of the Year Award - (Brad Stevens wins it - he's definitely due)

Any Other League-Wide Award - (One or both of Smart and Rozier will receive significant consideration for the 6th Man of the Year Award and Most Improved Award, but neither will win it)

Trades - (Boogie (and Collison) comes to Beantown at the trade deadline for Amir, Brown, Rozier, 2017 Brooklyn Swap Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick, and some future swap rights with Boston)

Playoff Success - (We lose in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Cavs in Game 7 in Boston after Lebron pulls off another Herculean feat, reminding everyone of Game 6 of the 2012 ECF)

That's right - #TeamOptimistic. What are your predictions?

Re: Official Celtics Predictions!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Record:

53-29, tied for the second best record in the East alongside the Raptors.

All-Star - Horford; IT misses cut behind Irving, Wall, Lowry, Derozan, Butler

All-Defense - Horford and Bradley
All-NBA - None

No other league wide rewards, though I agree that if the Celts snag the #1 East seed and win 55+, Brad could win COTY. 

Although ... if the Celts can finish with the #1 defense and Horford plays 75+ games, I could see him winning DPOY.

Trades - I doubt we see anything major.  Maybe a trade for an expiring e.g. Gallo, Millsap, Ibaka.

Playoff Success:

For this I will assume no major lasting injuries and no major trades. 

In that case, I would expect the Celts to make it to the second round.  From there I'd expect an entertaining series against the Raptors, Pacers, Pistons, or Wizards, with the result being a bit of a toss-up. 

Now, if the Celts do manage a trade for a piece like Gallo or Ibaka, I'll go ahead and predict they win in the 2nd round.

In any case, if the Celts get to the ECF, I'd expect a gentleman's sweep at the hands of the Cavs, provided Irving and Love are healthy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I was gonna predict 53 wins but Pho just did so I will Price is Right him and pick 54. I am very scientific with my predictions  :)

I'll say we get the #2 seed, knock out the Wizards and then squeak past Toronto to take on Cleveland in the ECF and lose in 6.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Overall Record - 53 - 29

Final Standing in the East - 2nd in the East

All-Stars - IT and Horford - Jae Crowder gets some buzz but doesn't make it

All-Defensive Team(s) - Bradley, Horford 1st and Crowder 2nd

All-NBA Team(s) - none

Coach of the Year Award - Brad Stevens wins it after leading team to conference finals

Any Other League-Wide Award - Bradley takes home DPOY

Trades - Rozier, Zeller, Olynyk, Jerebko, and the 2018 Nets pick for Aldridge.

Playoff Success - 7 game eastern conference finals with the Cavs

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was gonna predict 53 wins but Pho just did so I will Price is Right him and pick 54. I am very scientific with my predictions  :)

I'll say we get the #2 seed, knock out the Wizards and then squeak past Toronto to take on Cleveland in the ECF and lose in 6.

Heh, honestly I Price-is-Right'd the Over/Under, which was 52 last I heard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Record:

53-29, tied for the second best record in the East alongside the Raptors.

All-Star - Horford; IT misses cut behind Irving, Wall, Lowry, Derozan, Butler

All-Defense - Horford and Bradley
All-NBA - None

No other league wide rewards, though I agree that if the Celts snag the #1 East seed and win 55+, Brad could win COTY. 

Although ... if the Celts can finish with the #1 defense and Horford plays 75+ games, I could see him winning DPOY.

Trades - I doubt we see anything major.  Maybe a trade for an expiring e.g. Gallo, Millsap, Ibaka.

Playoff Success:

For this I will assume no major lasting injuries and no major trades. 

In that case, I would expect the Celts to make it to the second round.  From there I'd expect an entertaining series against the Raptors, Pacers, Pistons, or Wizards, with the result being a bit of a toss-up. 

Now, if the Celts do manage a trade for a piece like Gallo or Ibaka, I'll go ahead and predict they win in the 2nd round.

In any case, if the Celts get to the ECF, I'd expect a gentleman's sweep at the hands of the Cavs, provided Irving and Love are healthy.

Man, a gentleman's sweep is a bit harsh. Hell, didn't Toronto take them to 6 last year? And I think we're better than Toronto, better-suited for the defensive slugfest of the playoffs, and match-up much better overall with Cleveland. Actually, I don't think there's a team better suited to matchup with the Cavs than us. I'd expect at least a hard-fought six game series.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I predict Jaylen Brown wins rookie of the year

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I predict Jaylen Brown wins rookie of the year
It would probably take a serious injury to crowder, though

Which i am not hoping for
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Overall Wins do not matter.
Wins vs .500 or better Teams is the tell all statistic. Last several years Celtic records vs .500 or better clubs is below .500.

Until you beat quality clubs on a consistent basis the overall wins will tell you nothing.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:14:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Overall Wins do not matter.
Wins vs .500 or better Teams is the tell all statistic. Last several years Celtic records vs .500 or better clubs is below .500.

Until you beat quality clubs on a consistent basis the overall wins will tell you nothing.
this is not really true at all.

Winning the games you are supposed to win is important.

Last season the Raptors were way better than the Cavs against teams above .500.

The Spurs absolutely dominated teams above .500 they got knocked out by OKC fairly easily.

Houston was better than Portland vs. teams above .500. I think Portland was the better team.

In fact the only teams in the NBA whose record vs. >.500 teams didnt really align with their overall record were the Cavs(worse), Rockets(better), Hawks(better) and to some extent Nuggets(better).
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
prediction:
-C's win 53 games.  3rd in East.  Behind Cleveland and Indy.
-AB in top 3 voting for DPOY
-Brown in top 3 for ROY despite limited minutes due to depth of team
-Rozier makes the leap -- becomes clearcut back up to IT -- looks like his successor as starter when IT looks to hit payday in 2 years.
-Smart and KO will be improved but they'll be the new whipping boys here in Sully's absence for not improving more

EDIT:  C's get out of first round but get knocked out in second round.  progress but not enough to satisfy the faithful.  blame is cast on a young bench that cannot score enough and IT getting exposed as a weak link on D by the opposing PGs in the playoffs
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:07:43 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:04:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Overall Record - 54-28

Final Standing in the East - 2nd in the East (5th in the league)

All-Stars - IT and Horford

All-Defensive Team(s) - Bradley and Horford

All-NBA Team(s) - Horford (3rd)

Trades - There will be a minor trade involving some of the Celtics' bench/prospects and a player that will not be part of the starting lineup.

Playoff Success - Lose to the Cavaliers in the ECF in 5 games after winning both of the first 2 rounds in just 5 games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Over all record 56-26

All-Stars IT and Horford

All-Defensive Team - AB, with Crowder 2nd team.

Rozier takes another step in his development, talk begins about can he take over from IT...making IT a 6th man, or trade bait.

i agree... Smart will be the whipping boy, many not happy with his shooting, many thrilled with his intangibles. Smart will be discussed as trade bait more and more.

Whipping boy "lite" will be Kelly Olynyk, he'll be up and down throughout the season, some nights looking like a 6th man of the year, others looking like a one demential player, intimidated by physical play. KO will be traded sometime this year.

Say what you want about Sully going to Toronto, but they had him slated as the starting PF, his loss will hurt the Raptors, they have little backup for him.

Surprise team in the East...the Bucks.

C's loose to the Cavs in 7, Celtic Nation has one hell of a time!

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Record: 54-28

Standings: tied 1st with Cleveland (they're the FAR superior team, but they don't care about the regular season)

All-Stars: IT, Horford, Jae

All-Defense: Bradley and Horford, Jae just misses again

All-NBA: Horford (3rd team), IT just misses

COTY: PBS

Other: Jaylen Brown makes first team All-Rookie

Trades: Nothing major, but something minor

Playoff success: Celts fall in 6 to the Warriors in the NBA Finals!!! (No, I don't believe this will happen, but whatever)
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Non-Celts prediction: Pacers are a 6-10 seed

I don't get the optimism.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers