Author Topic: Expansion possible? Seattle group willing to privately finance new arena  (Read 7045 times)

Re: Expansion possible? Seattle group willing to privately finance new arena
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 11:28:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I welcome expansion but I have to think they'd look to add an East and a West franchise, rather than just two more out west.  And while Minny should be an East team, I can't imagine they'd break up the Boston/Philly/New York grouping.  Seattle/St. Louis would appear to be the deal, given that the Rams just left for LA.

Mike
The conference of the expansion teams doesn't really matter. Worrying about that would be a complete failure to think long term. Pick the cities that make sense and then arrange the teams into divisions based on geography.

Division rivalries are also overrated outside of Red Sox/Yankees. As a Mets fan, I remember when St Louis felt like our rival. Then they changed the divisions around and Atlanta felt like a rival. In long seasons like the NBA where half the teams post-expansion will make the playoffs and you play division teams 4 times at most, the divisions don't matter much apart from decreasing travel.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
These franchises have become too valuable so now it's worth it for a group to finance it's own arena.  My guess is once they line up private support the proper politicians will be monetarily convinced to vote in favor and the way will be paved for Seattle to get a team. With the corporate support Seattle would have it's a no brainer.  I see a Starbucks Center getting built in the not too distant future.

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
These franchises have become too valuable so now it's worth it for a group to finance it's own arena.  My guess is once they line up private support the proper politicians will be monetarily convinced to vote in favor and the way will be paved for Seattle to get a team. With the corporate support Seattle would have it's a no brainer.  I see a Starbucks Center getting built in the not too distant future.

Another scenario might be Balmer moving the Clips out of Staples center.   Isn't Microsoft a Seattle shop? 

His displeasure is on record about getting 3rd choice of arena calendar, having to share facilities with the Lakers.   

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Some folks believe that Sam Hinkie would make an interesting choice for GM if Seattle managed to get a new team , him having a blank canvas to work on, the possibilities are endless.

Who are those folks?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Move Memphis east instead of Minn.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Just ditch East and West and make four 8-team conferences. Play 2 times with out-of-conference teams and 6 times with in-conference teams for a total of 90 games.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just ditch East and West and make four 8-team conferences. Play 2 times with out-of-conference teams and 6 times with in-conference teams for a total of 90 games.
add 8 games? Like 2 more weeks? Maybe ditch a preseason game and start the season a week earlier and end it a week later. Give them an extra day at all star break. I suppose maybe.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
add 8 games? Like 2 more weeks? Maybe ditch a preseason game and start the season a week earlier and end it a week later. Give them an extra day at all star break. I suppose maybe.

Yeah, I can't imagine the players union being too keen on this idea unless some "concessions" are made.

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Yeah, I can't imagine the players union being too keen on this idea unless some "concessions" are made.
Maybe expand rosters to 16. Play 2 or 4 less minutes per game, better health care, maxed out 401Ks every year, increase percent of revenue to players by 1.5%. I think if I'm the union that's at least my starting point. 8 games is almost a 10% longer season

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »

Offline Vegas Green

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Vegas Baby!!

First NHL, next the Raiders and top it all off with an NBA team.  Woohoo!! 8)

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Why? 8 more games means more money for everyone, including the players.

Either way, the NBA schedule is kind of funky and somewhat unbalanced (apparently you play division teams 4 times, non-division conference teams 3 times, and non-conference teams 2 times; to fill up to 82 games, you play 6 of the 10 non-division conference teams an additional time).

So you can add 2 teams and restructure to 4x4 on each side, and this can still add up to 82 games -- you'll just need to play 2 additional non-division conference teams instead of 6. Historically, they have stuck to 82 games despite the expansions, so this scenario is most likely to happen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I like the idea of four 8-team conferences. It makes a lot more sense. I'd ease up on the number of games though. I understand it's unlikely to happen but it'd improve the quality on the floor imo. 2 times against out of conference teams and 4 against conference teams = 76 games. You drop 6 games in the calendar which could give a longer All-Star break or an extended training camp.

Assuming Seattle and St Louis the conferences could be:
West: Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Golden State, Utah, LAC, LAL and Suns
Mid-West: Denver, OKC, Dallas, Memphis, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta
North: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, Indiana, St Louis
East: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philly, Washington, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami

You can flex it around and put the Southern teams together and then a central division from Denver to Chicago too

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I like the idea of four 8-team conferences. It makes a lot more sense. I'd ease up on the number of games though. I understand it's unlikely to happen but it'd improve the quality on the floor imo. 2 times against out of conference teams and 4 against conference teams = 76 games. You drop 6 games in the calendar which could give a longer All-Star break or an extended training camp.

Mid-West: Denver, OKC, Dallas, Memphis, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta
North: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, Indiana, St Louis

You can flex it around and put the Southern teams together and then a central division from Denver to Chicago too
I thought about this, but I'm very skeptical than any rearrangement that will decrease the number of games will happen.

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I thought about this, but I'm very skeptical than any rearrangement that will decrease the number of games will happen.

I'm just skeptical that the players union would get warm & fuzzy and embrace 8 additional games i.e)  another half month of regular season games unless the owners were will to concede a couple of points to them.  From a calendar standpoint, the season is already long enough as it is before factoring in any postseason play.  Now you're going to add in more travel and a couple of more back to backs. 

Then you have the matter of these guys signing contracts contingent on an 82 game schedule.  You add more games and these guys are gonna want to be adequately compensated for the adjustment one way or another.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'm just skeptical that the players union would get warm & fuzzy and embrace 8 additional games i.e)  another half month of regular season games unless the owners were will to concede a couple of points to them.  From a calendar standpoint, the season is already long enough as it is before factoring in any postseason play.  Now you're going to add in more travel and a couple of more back to backs. 

Then you have the matter of these guys signing contracts contingent on an 82 game schedule.  You add more games and these guys are gonna want to be adequately compensated for the adjustment one way or another.
I more or less agree, it was just an idea. Given that the schedule is already unbalanced, there are ways to accommodate expansion while still playing 82 games and not fundamentally distorting the scheduling process.