Author Topic: Expansion possible? Seattle group willing to privately finance new arena  (Read 7106 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Some recent news has some people here in Seattle cautiously optimistic.

On October 13th reports came out that NBA Expansion is being discussed in the new CBA:  http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/10/13/13264264/multiple-sources-nba-expansion-seattle

Couple sources were quoted as saying:

"If Seattle had a new building, they would pass expansion."

"An hour after Seattle approves their arena, they’d have an offer in hand."

There had been some issues with the city council approving some details of the Seattle investment group's arena plan.  But today news came out that the group is now willing to privately finance the entire arena:  http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/seattle-arena-group-offers-to-privately-finance-arena-fix-lander/341564181

That could be enough for the city council to change their mind.  And maybe Seattle might actually get a team. 

FWIW, I saw this on twitter.  Here's what a division breakdown of a 32 Team NBA could possibly look like if they expanded to Seattle and Las Vegas.   They have the Timberwolves moving to the Eastern Conference.  As a Celtic fan, I wouldn't be too thrilled with having to go through Karl Towns every year, but I'd be excited about having a team in Seattle again.

Re: Expansion possible? Seattle group willing to privately finance new arena
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It will be cool to see Seattle with a team again.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think expansion is a great idea. I'd love for one of St Louis or Pittsburgh to get a team, which I think both were mentioned as possible expansion team locations on that report, iirc. Both are excellent sports towns with passionate fan bases, especially regarding the Cardinals and Steelers.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm all for it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I welcome expansion but I have to think they'd look to add an East and a West franchise, rather than just two more out west.  And while Minny should be an East team, I can't imagine they'd break up the Boston/Philly/New York grouping.  Seattle/St. Louis would appear to be the deal, given that the Rams just left for LA.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:48:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I welcome expansion but I have to think they'd look to add an East and a West franchise, rather than just two more out west.  And while Minny should be an East team, I can't imagine they'd break up the Boston/Philly/New York grouping.  Seattle/St. Louis would appear to be the deal, given that the Rams just left for LA.

Mike

Agreed.  Would rather see Toronto go to the central with NO coming east instead of Minny.

Bos / NYK / Nets / Philly
Chi / Tor / Det / Milw
Clev / DC / Ind / Char
Mia / Orl / Atl + New Orleans

Mem / Dal / SA / Hou
OKC / Min / Den / Uta
Port / GS / Sac + Seattle
LA / LA / Phx + Vegas

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Water down the league some more? no thank you.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
On one hand, I'd be happy to see basketball back in Seattle.

On the other hand couldn't we only protect 8 players on our roster? I'd be sad to lose someone from the team, without getting anything back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Water down the league some more? no thank you.
+1

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mike
Yeah agreed on Boston/Philly/New York I think Toronto would get the boot to the Central.

Ultimately Id rather not see any expansion.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The league is in a pretty good place right now, talent-wise, but I don't like the idea of diluting it with another team.

Seattle probably deserves a team, though. They should just get Sacramento's team, they're not using it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I am 1000% behind this. The NBA is the most up and coming of all the major sports, and with the quality of players in the leagues fringe, they likely have the talent pool to make it possible.

Seattle was robbed of their team and that great basketball town deserves to have it back. I wouldn't put the other in Vegas though, I'd shoot for Louisville or St.Louis

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I want the Sonics back so bad that I'm afraid to even comment on the possibility of it finally happening.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Some folks believe that Sam Hinkie would make an interesting choice for GM if Seattle managed to get a new team , him having a blank canvas to work on, the possibilities are endless.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Some folks believe that Sam Hinkie would make an interesting choice for GM if Seattle managed to get a new team , him having a blank canvas to work on, the possibilities are endless.
his assets-collection abilities are indisputable.  But expansion teams will be in tank mode for a few years regardless of who is running them.