Author Topic: Final roster cuts around the league  (Read 1559 times)

Final roster cuts around the league
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Hey didn't see this anywhere else, but wondering if anyone thought some of the players that were cut were interesting or could be a fit with Green down the line. Some of the names that jumped out at me. Surprised to see Archie Goodwin cut. I think he has some talent. Stauskas did end up making the 76ers rosters after being an interesting name on the bubble. Similarly the Lakers elected to keep former lottery pick Thomas Robinson. Pablo priogini was also cut. I guess Mitch Mgrary being waived was also a little suprising. He was picked 21st in 2014 draft. Anything else jump out?

October 24: Boston waived guard RJ Hunter.

October 24: Cleveland waived guard Dahntay Jones.

October 24: Detroit waived guard Ray McCallum and signed guard Beno Udrih.

October 24: Houston exercised the contract option on center Clint Capela through 2017-18 center Clint Capela and waived guards Gary Payton II and Pablo Prigioni and forwards PJ Hairston and Le’Bryan Nash.

October 24: Indiana signed forward Ben Bentil. Waived later that day.

October 24: Los Angeles Lakers waived forwards Yi Jianlian and Anthony Brown.

October 24: Memphis waived guard Jordan Adams and forward Matt Costello.

October 24: New Orleans waived forward Alonzo Gee.

October 24: Oklahoma City Thunder waived guard Ronnie Price, forwards Mitch McGary and Chris Wright and center Kaleb Tarczewski.

October 24: Philadelphia waived guards Anthony Barber and Brandon Paul and forwards James Webb and Shawn Long.

October 24: Philadelphia signed guard Dionte Christmas. Waived later that day.

October 24: Phoenix waived guard Archie Goodwin and exercised the contract option on guard Devin Booker and forward TJ Warren through 2017-18.

October 24: Portland exercised the contract options on guard forward Shabazz Napier and forward Noah Vonleh through 2017-18.

October 24: Sacramento waived guards Jordan Farmar, Lamar Patterson and Isaiah Cousins.

October 24: Utah exercised the contract options on guards Dante Exum and Rodney Hood and forward Trey Lyles through 2017-18.

October 23: Golden State exercised the contract option on forward Kevon Looney through 2017-18.

October 23: Houston signed forward Le’Bryan Nash.

Re: Final roster cuts around the league
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
McGary failed two drug tests in the offseason, leading him to be suspended for the first 15 games.  Between that and his lack of on-court performance, he wasn't a surprise cut.  He'll have to serve his suspension should he ever make it back to the NBA, which is not in his favor.

I didn't realize Beno Udrih got released by the Heat after the shenanigans they collectively pulled last spring.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
All great D league players ... lets focus on the NBA season here

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
All great D league players ... lets focus on the NBA season here

So to be clear we can have 35 pages of threads discussing whether RJ Hunter or James Young should have been the final cut for the Celtics, but one thread asking if some of the others players cut around the league would be good fits for the Celtics or Nets and it is too much for you? Just want to make sure I am getting it all.  :o

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
found it odd that two teams signed guys and cut them the same day.  Anyone know why they would do that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
McGary failed two drug tests in the offseason, leading him to be suspended for the first 15 games.  Between that and his lack of on-court performance, he wasn't a surprise cut.  He'll have to serve his suspension should he ever make it back to the NBA, which is not in his favor.

I didn't realize Beno Udrih got released by the Heat after the shenanigans they collectively pulled last spring.

Mcgary likely wont be ever back at a nba court

He has a history of substance abuse

Prob end up in the chinese league or something

Archie Goodwin waive is interesting.... goodwin is a danny type player.... but kid has a bad temper

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
found it odd that two teams signed guys and cut them the same day.  Anyone know why they would do that?
They get primary rights for the D-league for the waived players.

"An NBA team maintains primary D-League rights on four players that were waived by said team during the preseason."

Source: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/10/23/nba-boston-celtics-ryan-kelly-brian-rob/

Granted it is about the Kelly sign and release, but I assume the same thing applies to your question.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

To get them on their D-League teams.  Your last three roster cuts are able to play on your D-League team.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:11 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I have to be honest, I thought some better players would get cut.  Pretty slim pickings in that group.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

To get them on their D-League teams.  Your last three roster cuts are able to play on your D-League team.
So Bentil can play for the Indy D-league franchise but not Boston's?

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

So Bentil can play for the Indy D-league franchise but not Boston's?

Essentially.  Ainge could have prevented this by releasing Bentil on Monday, but I guess decided they'd seen enough to know Bentil wasn't going to be a Celtic, so released him in time for another team give him a shot.