Author Topic: New higher rookie scale will impact C's ability to sign a FA next summer  (Read 3912 times)

Re: New higher rookie scale will impact C's ability to sign a FA next summer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:57 AM »

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I'm familiar with how the increases of salary are occurring with more regulatity such as Evan Turner getting more money than John Wall or Klay Thompson (and more) but I find it ridiculous that the teams are overpaying for role players. How are teams going to afford paying 20 Million to retain their starters? What happens when there is no more excess cap space?

The Celtics are particularly affected by this dilemma; Avery Bradley will want 20, Isaiah is gonna want nearly 30. Depending on if Olynyk, smart and rosier become successful will want at least 15. And the rookie scale increasing. How are we gonna fit that all in a 110 million cap? That's not including the remaining bench players to fill out the roster.

I am concerned about this too.  Even though teams can elect to excede cap to resign their own players (and pay luxury tax, and C's will be willing to pay tax to some extent) C's will not be able to keep everyone.

Sure hope we keep the defensive stars (Bradley, Smart, etc.).  I am less certain about the long term future of IT and Kelly O with C's.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Is there a cap hold for yabu and zizic?  If not, then we just sign them last if we choose.

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Is there a cap hold for yabu and zizic?  If not, then we just sign them last if we choose.

Yes, they will have holds at the 2017 rookie scale amounts

It's still likely that we'll sign them fairly late, though, since Danny usually gives rookies 120% of the rookie scale, but their holds are equal to 100% of the rookie scale until the contracts are signed
I'm bitter.