Author Topic: New higher rookie scale will impact C's ability to sign a FA next summer  (Read 3914 times)

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
New CBA will reportedly raise rookie scale significantly.  So price of 2017 Nets pick, Yabu and Zizic just went up significantly.  Assuming Amir, Jonas, Zeller, Green are not resigned and RFA Kelly is not brought back for cap reasons, C's may still not have quite enough cap room to make max offer to a 7 to 9 year player (Gordon, Blake).

Is anybody concerned about this?  Time to trade IT next summer to clear more room (assuming MS and TR are ready)?

Thoughts?

Re: New higher rookie scale will impact C's ability to sign a FA next summer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
New CBA will reportedly raise rookie scale significantly.  So price of 2017 Nets pick, Yabu and Zizic just went up significantly.  Assuming Amir, Jonas, Zeller, Green are not resigned and RFA Kelly is not brought back for cap reasons, C's may still not have quite enough cap room to make max offer to a 7 to 9 year player (Gordon, Blake).

Is anybody concerned about this?  Time to trade IT next summer to clear more room (assuming MS and TR are ready)?

Thoughts?

Trading IT to clear room would be a huge mistake, we'd be better off trading AB (although I'd keep him unless a real star would be signing with us)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think draft picks contracts are tied to the rookie scale for the year they were drafted, not the year that they were signed.  Maybe someone a little bit more cap savvy than I can confirm/deny that though.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think draft picks contracts are tied to the rookie scale for the year they were drafted, not the year that they were signed.  Maybe someone a little bit more cap savvy than I can confirm/deny that though.

I thought the same thing earlier this year, but either BudweiserCeltic or saltlover (I think saltlover) pointed out that it is the year they are signed, not drafted, so otherdave is correct
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

They are tied to the year they sign under the current CBA.  It is unknown if the new CBA will impact the slot values for players drafted in the prior CBA.

That said, the slot values are not huge for Yab and Zizic as is.  Supposedly they might increase 50%, which if true would be about $1.3 million combined.

If the Nets give us a top 3 pick again, it will get tighter for max free agency room, but on the other hand we'll have another top 3 pick, so it's not a nightmare scenario.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I feel like every new CBA hurts the C's

Not purposefully, but still

Before the last CBA we were in a better position financially than most teams, and then all of a sudden teams could amnesty a player. So teams got a get out of jail free card, but we didn't really need it. So then many more teams were in okay financial positions.

Bleck
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I was under the impression that the new CBA does not kick in until 2018, can anyone confirm or deny this?

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I was under the impression that the new CBA does not kick in until 2018, can anyone confirm or deny this?

It is anticipated that it will begin during the 2017-2018 season and run seven years.  The opt out date for the current CBA is this December, so that is why the new CBA would start next summer.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:00:02 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

It is anticipated that it will begin during the 2017-2018 season and run seven years.  The opt out date for the current CBA is this December, so that is why the new CBA would start next summer.

So, is the 2017 draft considered part of the 2017-18 season? Since players sign contracts in the offseason (which is technically the start of the 2017 season)?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

So, is the 2017 draft considered part of the 2017-18 season? Since players sign contracts in the offseason (which is technically the start of the 2017 season)?

It's technically the end of the 2016-2017 season, but the contracts signed would be under the new CBA, since draftees can't sign until July 1st (unless the CBA changes the draft date/free agency start dates, as has been proposed.)

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I understand we want  the ability to sign a max player next year. I just wonder how many teams will be positioned to do that? Also if we win the east or get to the ECF will that influence a top talent to sign for a little less to join us? I know some players want a championship more than they want 20 mill vs 16 mill.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:11:37 AM by billysan »
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:24:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I understand we want  the ability to sign a max player next year. I just wonder how many teams will be positioned to do that? Also if we win the east or get to the ECF will that influence a top talent to sign for a little less to join us? I know some players want a championship more than they want 20 mill vs 16 mill.

Did Kevin Durant take less in year 1 to go the Warriors?  No one who can get a max deal from one team will take less than a max deal from another.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:04:59 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'm familiar with how the increases of salary are occurring with more regulatity such as Evan Turner getting more money than John Wall or Klay Thompson (and more) but I find it ridiculous that the teams are overpaying for role players. How are teams going to afford paying 20 Million to retain their starters? What happens when there is no more excess cap space?

The Celtics are particularly affected by this dilemma; Avery Bradley will want 20, Isaiah is gonna want nearly 30. Depending on if Olynyk, smart and rosier become successful will want at least 15. And the rookie scale increasing. How are we gonna fit that all in a 110 million cap? That's not including the remaining bench players to fill out the roster.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:07 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I'm familiar with how the increases of salary are occurring with more regulatity such as Evan Turner getting more money than John Wall or Klay Thompson (and more) but I find it ridiculous that the teams are overpaying for role players. How are teams going to afford paying 20 Million to retain their starters? What happens when there is no more excess cap space?

The Celtics are particularly affected by this dilemma; Avery Bradley will want 20, Isaiah is gonna want nearly 30. Depending on if Olynyk, smart and rosier become successful will want at least 15. And the rookie scale increasing. How are we gonna fit that all in a 110 million cap? That's not including the remaining bench players to fill out the roster.

Avery will get more than 20.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 06:01:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Avery will get more than 20.

Dunno if it will be much more if he does. I'd say something around the 18/19 million mark x 4 years. Let's hope we have a drafted superstar by then.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.