Author Topic: Oct 31 contract options to renew  (Read 757 times)

Oct 31 contract options to renew
« on: October 25, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Any reason C's would not pick up options for next season (2017-2018) for all 4 eligible players (JB, MS, TR, JY) by next week's deadline?

Jordan Mickey's contract does not have to be decided on until next summer, pretty sure D Jackson is on same timetable as Jordan - next summer.

Re: Oct 31 contract options to renew
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The first two years of 1st-round picks are guaranteed, so Jaylen Brown's first option date is 2017, not 2016.

Smart and Rozier will absolutely be picked up.

Young is questionable.  My gut says it won't be picked up so as to preserve cap room.  Other people's guts have different reactions.  We'll know soon what Danny's gut said.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The first two years of 1st-round picks are guaranteed, so Jaylen Brown's first option date is 2017, not 2016.

Young is questionable.  My gut says it won't be picked up so as to preserve cap room.  Other people's guts have different reactions.  We'll know soon what Danny's gut said.

I only entertain the thought of Young being picked up solely on the idea that Ainge envisions that he could easily get rid of him if needed be.

That said, I hadn't realized how much his contract would go up next year... so now my gut feeling is becoming that he won't get picked up.

We'd still retain his Restricted rights if we want them regardless. Too much uncertainty this year.

On the other hand, we can keep in mind that Ainge just tried to get rid of him with Hunter, so he might have a good idea of what the market price for him is, a slim one.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
JY's contract calls for 2.8 mil next year.

What do you mean C's would still retain his "restricted rights".

I thought he would be an UFA next July 1st if option is not picked up next week.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With Nadar and the two foreign dudes, not to mention our 2017 Nets pick, I say no way we exercise Young option.  No way.  He would probably accept it a nano-second after, if he could. Need the roster space for next season.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I only entertain the thought of Young being picked up solely on the idea that Ainge envisions that he could easily get rid of him if needed be.

That said, I hadn't realized how much his contract would go up next year... so now my gut feeling is becoming that he won't get picked up.

We'd still retain his Restricted rights if we want them regardless. Too much uncertainty this year.

On the other hand, we can keep in mind that Ainge just tried to get rid of him with Hunter, so he might have a good idea of what the market price for him is, a slim one.

You do not retain restricted FA rights on 1st rounders with declined options.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

You do not retain restricted FA rights on 1st rounders with declined options.

Ah yeah, you're correct. Completely forgot about that small detail (even after making that same observation multiple times weeks ago)... so now my gut feeling is completely split!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think there's no way we pick up Young's option after he barely made the cut this year. Won't have enough data to change our minds by next week.

I could see Danny trying to sell him on one of those team-friendly contracts though, 2 years cheap with the 2nd year partially or unguaranteed. He might take it with his prospects what they are right now (if such an offer is even doable). But I can't see us committing to another rookie-scale year of what's been dead weight so far.