Author Topic: Aldridge to Celtics trade idea  (Read 3790 times)

Re: Aldridge to Celtics trade idea
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While I think triboy is being realistic on what it would take to land Aldridge, I don't like this trade because we go from being one of the youngest teams, with a great future, to an older team designed to win now or bust. At least with the Garnett/Allen trades, we immediately vaulted to the top contender. This trade makes us competitive with but not quite equal or better than the Cavs, and still not in the same level as the Warriors. Pass.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Celtics are giving up way to much.

But its Aldridge one of the best bigs in the league  (signed for the next several seasons on a pretty good contract)

No guarantee the nets will stink moving fwd... they look stronger with the addition of Lin etc.

It's a win now move that for some reason gives up 2 of our best players and leaves us with 2 starters that have played a combined total of 410 minutes in real NBA games (a big chunk of which were garbage time).   There's no explanation except wanting to see the Spurs have a post-Duncan resurgence (which is a very noble and understandable cause) or this being a (bad) joke

Its a long term project actually

Sign Smart, Bradley to extensions... we wont have to worry about FA/trades for years.... still have lots of picks to work with to add good players/int talent..

There is no guarantee the 17-18 nets picks will be even in the top 10 range...

If you wanted a long-term trade for Aldridge, it would include Horford and only one of the Nets picks (probably 2018).  Maybe still including IT, but that would be an overpay for any Spurs player not named Kawhi Leonard

There may not be a guarantee that both Nets picks are in the top 10, but it's basically a certainty this year (seriously, try to name 10 teams that could realistically be worse than the Nets this year.  I think they'll be closer to 5th best lottery odds than best odds, but saying that they could realistically be a top 20 team in the league is ridiculous, as would saying that they could be 8th worst and then get leap frogged by 3 teams with worse odds than them).  And even if they were somehow late lottery picks, this would STILL be an overpayment
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

But its Aldridge one of the best bigs in the league  (signed for the next several seasons on a pretty good contract)

No guarantee the nets will stink moving fwd... they look stronger with the addition of Lin etc.

It's a win now move that for some reason gives up 2 of our best players and leaves us with 2 starters that have played a combined total of 410 minutes in real NBA games (a big chunk of which were garbage time).   There's no explanation except wanting to see the Spurs have a post-Duncan resurgence (which is a very noble and understandable cause) or this being a (bad) joke

Sign Smart, Bradley to extensions... we wont have to worry about FA/trades for years.... still have lots of picks to work with to add good players/int talent..

Define "good picks" after your trade.

2018 and 2019 Celtics picks, since the lack of both depth and a competent backcourt could lead to us missing the playoffs if LMA or Horford got injured
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Define "good picks" after your trade.

2018 and 2019 Celtics picks, since the lack of both depth and a competent backcourt could lead to us missing the playoffs if LMA or Horford got injured

Sounds like some amazing logic going on with this trade then.   Destroy our depth so our '18 & '19 picks *could" be good in the event of injury while giving up two BKN picks that will almost assuredly be in the top 10.  All while being ensured of plateauing as a team for the foreseeable future. 

Where do I sign up?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is hands down one of the worst trades I have ever seen. We give up our future just to lose to the cavs in 6. I joined this thread thinking "well maybe the nets 18 gets offered" but both nets picks? And crowder and IT? My goodness.

Yea lets simultaneously give up two of our 3 best players along with our best hypothetical assets. This one takes the cake.

Not even to mention that LA not being able to work in the holy grail of team based offenses is a decent red flag.

Edit: I just got that this is sarcasm. My bad tri.

While Crowder and IT are 2 of our best players , it doesnt mean they are top 5 at their positions in the NBA

Meanwhile LA is easily a top 3 pf/c in the league

And I like the potential of Brown and Rozier to be able to replace alot of the things Crowder and IT are able to do

Horford + LA = twin towers ... and basically at all times you could have one of these guys on the court... that would be amazing

I disagree... this lineup has a better chance than the lineup today  to end the cavs run

I actually think LMA is becoming a huge defensive liability. 

Your twin towers lineup would stand no chance against small ball.  Neither can switch onto 3's, much less 4's that play like 3's -- and they would no longer have Crowder around to solve that matchup problem.  And no team starting Terry Rozier at pg is challenging the Curry-era Warriors.

Here's a theory.
Could it be that SA's front office is trying to get out in front of what could be a disaster contract in a couple seasons?

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Is this a sarcastic post triboy?

This is probably one of the most lopsided and horrible trades i've seen on here. I'm sorry.

Normally the trade proposals on this forum hurt the other team a lot. This one kills us! I'm not sure i've ever seen one as drastic and destructive as this one.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm not terribly interested in Aldridge. He is a ball stopper who hurts ball movement.

I love watching this team play because of the way they share the ball, the defense that they play and the pace they place. Aldridge hurts ball movement, hurts the defense and slows the pace.

LaMarcus doesn't interest me at even half the price the OP laid out.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is hands down one of the worst trades I have ever seen. We give up our future just to lose to the cavs in 6. I joined this thread thinking "well maybe the nets 18 gets offered" but both nets picks? And crowder and IT? My goodness.

Yea lets simultaneously give up two of our 3 best players along with our best hypothetical assets. This one takes the cake.

Not even to mention that LA not being able to work in the holy grail of team based offenses is a decent red flag.

While Crowder and IT are 2 of our best players , it doesnt mean they are top 5 at their positions in the NBA

And I like the potential of Brown and Rozier to be able to replace alot of the things Crowder and IT are able to do

Horford + LA = twin towers ... and basically at all times you could have one of these guys on the court... that would be amazing

I disagree... this lineup has a better chance than the lineup today  to end the cavs run

Your twin towers lineup would stand no chance against small ball.  Neither can switch onto 3's, much less 4's that play like 3's -- and they would no longer have Crowder around to solve that matchup problem.  And no team starting Terry Rozier at pg is challenging the Curry-era Warriors.

Here's a theory.
Could it be that SA's front office is trying to get out in front of what could be a disaster contract in a couple seasons?

So you are saying duncan and robinson at their peak if they played today would not be able to dominate bc of the small ball movement?

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Here's a theory.

So you are saying duncan and robinson at their peak in todays ball would not be able to dominate bc of the small ball movement?

I'm sure both Horford and Aldridge are flattered at the comparison. 

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Here's a theory.

So you are saying duncan and robinson at their peak in todays ball would not be able to dominate bc of the small ball movement?

I'm sure both Horford and Aldridge are flattered at the comparison.

And what you forget is both horford and lma can shoot the 3 as well

I would love to see tristant thompson or draymond green try to handle lma and horford

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Also wouls like to hear a concrete plan as to how the Celts can resign AB, IT, Smart after this season

You cant pay each 20 million per year plus...

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
And KO at around 15 m a year

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Also wouls like to hear a concrete plan as to how the Celts can resign AB, IT, Smart after this season

your years are off.  AB, IT, and Smart aren't free agents until the summer of 2018, not this coming summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

it's the summer of 2018. but i agree with you here. it'll be interesting to see what Danny decides to do with these 3.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Bird rights? 

Kinda like how Cleveland could pay Smith $12M despite already having four other players making ~$20M/yr.  no?

Side note-- Why would you pay Marcus Smart $20m per year?