Author Topic: Celtics are built for the Regular Season  (Read 4077 times)

Re: Celtics are built for the Regular Season
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Said this a few days ago - this is a team moreso built for the regular season such as those mid 2006-08 Pistons and 2015 Hawks team.  Like those teams, I see them sputtering in the playoffs before getting overmatched by Cleveland - if they even get there.

Which isn't a bad thing.  I think they win 60 games and do get that 1 seed.  The key will be the bench, which I think is going to excel.  Still a lot of young players so it's unknown now, but I'm all in on Rozier.  He'll be a much better fit for that unit than what Turner was.

The big deficiency on this team will be rebounding.  You'll see games where they're outrebounded by 10+ by opponents.  I actually think that'll be their downfall in the playoffs more so than not having a "go-to guy"

But the success of the Celts this year comes down to three things: Health, the bench and rebounding.  I'm writing rebounding off so if they get halfway decent health (just as long as they aren't ravaged by injuries or lose Thomas or Horford to season enders) and the second unit gels - then they'll push 60.
It would be great if we won 55+ and made the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  That's an attractive team to another star next Summer. 

I still think the biggest wildcard here is a mid-season trade.  Kind of like how the Pistons were built pretty solid, but their mid-season trade to acquire Rasheed pushed them over the top.  You never know who might become available as the season creeps along.  Boston remains in great position to pull something off and tilt the late-season balance more towards us.   Golden State still looks like the easy favorite regardless of what we do, though.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The underlying tone here seems to be that this team has been falling apart in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say that in 2015 we were definitely over our heads facing the Cavs. But last year, we faced a tough first round opponent, and three of our top five players were either unable to play or were seriously hobbled. We still hung in for six games.

I'd like to see how this group does with a reasonably healthy roster. My guess is that they will get to the ECF and make Cleveland work for it.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The underlying tone here seems to be that this team has been falling apart in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say that in 2015 we were definitely over our heads facing the Cavs. But last year, we faced a tough first round opponent, and three of our top five players were either unable to play or were seriously hobbled. We still hung in for six games.

I'd like to see how this group does with a reasonably healthy roster. My guess is that they will get to the ECF and make Cleveland work for it.
I still believe that with a healthy Bradley and Crowder we beat the Hawks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't really agree with notion that we're built for the regular season.  That terms is generally reserved for teams that are perimeter oriented, score lots of points, and lack defense.  That pretty much describes the hawks from a few years ago to a tee.  But it also describes the warriors to a degree so in some cases, just raw talent wins out (not to mention that they are underrated defensively).

The biggest question the celtics will have to answer is offensive efficiency.  We still lack a dominant scorer and generally, need to work too hard for points in the half court.  Horford will really help, and so will the improved athleticism of the team (adding horford, brown, green).

And please pump the brakes on this 60 wins prediction.  Is it possible?  I suppose but it is at the very top end of possibilities.  I think the over/under of of 52.5 is about right.

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
A lot of people are going to be very disappointed with this season with these wholly unrealistic expectations.

Moranis getting ready for the Celtics Season:

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Said this a few days ago - this is a team moreso built for the regular season such as those mid 2006-08 Pistons and 2015 Hawks team.  Like those teams, I see them sputtering in the playoffs before getting overmatched by Cleveland - if they even get there.

Which isn't a bad thing.  I think they win 60 games and do get that 1 seed.  The key will be the bench, which I think is going to excel.  Still a lot of young players so it's unknown now, but I'm all in on Rozier.  He'll be a much better fit for that unit than what Turner was.

The big deficiency on this team will be rebounding.  You'll see games where they're outrebounded by 10+ by opponents.  I actually think that'll be their downfall in the playoffs more so than not having a "go-to guy"

But the success of the Celts this year comes down to three things: Health, the bench and rebounding.  I'm writing rebounding off so if they get halfway decent health (just as long as they aren't ravaged by injuries or lose Thomas or Horford to season enders) and the second unit gels - then they'll push 60.
It would be great if we won 55+ and made the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  That's an attractive team to another star next Summer. 

I still think the biggest wildcard here is a mid-season trade.  Kind of like how the Pistons were built pretty solid, but their mid-season trade to acquire Rasheed pushed them over the top.  You never know who might become available as the season creeps along.  Boston remains in great position to pull something off and tilt the late-season balance more towards us.   Golden State still looks like the easy favorite regardless of what we do, though.

This is great work LB. Still got your fastball.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

If by "fastball" you mean "ability to state the effing obvious and tell people what they want to hear", then I agree.

::)
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If by "fastball" you mean "ability to state the effing obvious and tell people what they want to hear", then I agree.

Why so dismissive. If anything, LB has risen to fame as a blogger, editor and fantasy player while developing into the symbol of larger counter-cultural movement by doing the exact opposite of this. He frequently asks the difficult questions that many choose not to ponder and provides the sole voice of sound reason in a sea of unbridled optimism. For that I thank him.

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Why so dismissive. If anything, LB has risen to fame as a blogger, editor and fantasy player while developing into the symbol of larger counter-cultural movement by doing the exact opposite of this. He frequently asks the difficult questions that many choose not to ponder and provides the sole voice of sound reason in a sea of unbridled optimism. For that I thank him.

I may be stupid, but I'm still smart enough to recognize sarcasm if it's thick as molasses.  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I may be stupid, but I'm still smart enough to recognize sarcasm if it's thick as molasses.  ;D
Actually, when clay spent months excessively criticizing me, he was being sarcastic.   He's now finally being real.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree that they're built for the regular season more so than the playoffs, like the Hawks and Raptors before them.

However I'm not expecting more than 55 wins in a best case scenario. The Celts could easily end up around where they finished last year (a few wins below 50) if they run into some bad luck.

Haven't you pretty much said the exact same thing the past two years?

Of was it somebody else?  If so my apologies, and ignore me!

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't really agree with notion that we're built for the regular season.  That terms is generally reserved for teams that are perimeter oriented, score lots of points, and lack defense.  That pretty much describes the hawks from a few years ago to a tee.  But it also describes the warriors to a degree so in some cases, just raw talent wins out (not to mention that they are underrated defensively).

The biggest question the celtics will have to answer is offensive efficiency.  We still lack a dominant scorer and generally, need to work too hard for points in the half court.  Horford will really help, and so will the improved athleticism of the team (adding horford, brown, green).

And please pump the brakes on this 60 wins prediction.  Is it possible?  I suppose but it is at the very top end of possibilities.  I think the over/under of of 52.5 is about right.
Not necessarily.  It just happens that those types of teams can have good success in the regular season by running teams out of the gym.  However, it is not the only formula that leads to success in the regular season but not the playoffs.  When you shorten your bench in the playoffs you are putting your fortunes in the hands of your best players.  Celtics just can't match up talent-wise with the top-tier teams.  In the regular season, however, they can use their deeper bench wear teams down and grab more wins that way.

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Well, they won their home opener tonite, but only by 5 against the Nets, maybe the worst team in the NBA. Anybody see the game?

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Well, they won their home opener tonite, but only by 5 against the Nets, maybe the worst team in the NBA. Anybody see the game?

lol Celtics blew out the Nets and took the foot of the gas. If you think the Nets are even close to the Celtics from watching this game, then you are biased.

One team was playing like it was the season opener, the other played like it was game seven of the NBA finals. I am sure you can figure out which is which.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

lol Celtics blew out the Nets and took the foot of the gas. If you think the Nets are even close to the Celtics from watching this game, then you are biased.

One team was playing like it was the season opener, the other played like it was game seven of the NBA finals. I am sure you can figure out which is which.
Celtics bench got out-hustled, plain and simple.