Author Topic: Celtics are built for the Regular Season  (Read 4078 times)

Celtics are built for the Regular Season
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:09:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 It's not crazy to think we will win more than 52 wins because we're built for it. The playoffs remains to be seen.

Heck. We have a shot at the #1 seed, if we don't have any key injuries.

When you have the best defense in the League for your starting five and can bring the #3 overall pick off the bench, with Olynyk, Rozier, Smart the #6 pick and Jonas, Zeller, Mickey, Jackson, Gerald Green.

Two top six picks coming off the bench for a 48 win team that added 4 time All star Al Horford. Rozier looks like he will breakout this season, and Olynyk and Jerkebo are perfect back up bigs.

Re: Celtics are built for the Regular Season
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Said this a few days ago - this is a team moreso built for the regular season such as those mid 2006-08 Pistons and 2015 Hawks team.  Like those teams, I see them sputtering in the playoffs before getting overmatched by Cleveland - if they even get there.

Which isn't a bad thing.  I think they win 60 games and do get that 1 seed.  The key will be the bench, which I think is going to excel.  Still a lot of young players so it's unknown now, but I'm all in on Rozier.  He'll be a much better fit for that unit than what Turner was.

The big deficiency on this team will be rebounding.  You'll see games where they're outrebounded by 10+ by opponents.  I actually think that'll be their downfall in the playoffs more so than not having a "go-to guy"

But the success of the Celts this year comes down to three things: Health, the bench and rebounding.  I'm writing rebounding off so if they get halfway decent health (just as long as they aren't ravaged by injuries or lose Thomas or Horford to season enders) and the second unit gels - then they'll push 60.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I can't believe I see a post like this on this forum.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A lot of people are going to be very disappointed with this season with these wholly unrealistic expectations.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree that they're built for the regular season more so than the playoffs, like the Hawks and Raptors before them.

However I'm not expecting more than 55 wins in a best case scenario. The Celts could easily end up around where they finished last year (a few wins below 50) if they run into some bad luck.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I saw them like the Bobcats built around Wallace.   

Played harder then other teams most nights in the regular season then the other teams, didn't have that 2nd gear left over in the playoffs.

Biggest differences, that Bobcat team never added a player like Horford and high draft picks.

As of now, I think the team is more of a wildcard in terms of how it will play in the playoffs.   There is plenty of room for players on the team to experience growth.   

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

As of now, I think the team is more of a wildcard in terms of how it will play in the playoffs.   There is plenty of room for players on the team to experience growth.

That's where I am at.  The defense and depth will do very well in the regular season.  Defense is also big in the Playoffs of course, and Horford added to the roster can't be overlooked on defense.  He isn't the "rim protector" so many are so obsessed with foolishly... he's just actually a great defender all around, one of the best bigs in the league in that area, and he blocks enough shots.

The question is can other guys chip in enough on offense.  I am very encouraged by what we have seen from Smart as a PG, and if AB, Crowder, Rozier can jump in and make plays off the dribble while Horford and Olynyk can provide the spacing to work, I can see ECF happening.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

That's where I am at.  The defense and depth will do very well in the regular season.  Defense is also big in the Playoffs of course, and Horford added to the roster can't be overlooked on defense.  He isn't the "rim protector" so many are so obsessed with foolishly... he's just actually a great defender all around, one of the best bigs in the league in that area, and he blocks enough shots.

The question is can other guys chip in enough on offense.  I am very encouraged by what we have seen from Smart as a PG, and if AB, Crowder, Rozier can jump in and make plays off the dribble while Horford and Olynyk can provide the spacing to work, I can see ECF happening.

I think the team having a competitive post-season O is predicated on two things:

1) KO working his way into the starting lineup--and playing aggressively once he's there, and

2) TRoz being given the ball and the minutes to run the second unit offense and also score heavily.

Smart as the PG with KO off the bench will IMO be a sign of the O still being high-mediocre at best. The question for the postseason is whether they'll have the defensive stuff up front to deal with any really substantial scoring bigs down low. But on that I think the C's have lucked out. This will probably be the last year in 15 that such a D isn't really needed. And by next season they'll have Zizic to handle that for them--for the next 15 years.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Smart as the PG with KO off the bench will IMO be a sign of the O still being high-mediocre at best. ..... And by next season they'll have Zizic to handle that for them--for the next 15 years.

You will be surprised by Smart and we will be lucky if Zizc is ever half the defender Horford is.   I like Zizic but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I disagree. This is the first year that Brad Stevens should feel a little pressure to get this team to produce in the playoffs. The talent on the Celtics roster is just as good as any team outside of the Warriors and Cavaliers. No excuses this year. I really don't want to hear oh Stevens got the most out of this team. It will fall on deaf ears this year.

This year will be a bust if we don't at least go to a game 7 in the second round.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I should modify that.

If we get paired against the Cavs in the second round then remove the game 7 comment.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
For me, anything less than ECF will be a disappointment. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I just want to win a series first. Teams seem to pounce on our weaknesses once they play us a few times in a row (or play us multiple times in a short time span in the regular season). We need to make sure that playoff teams can't exploit our weaknesses and that we give a consistent effort every game.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think people are jumping the gun a bit rating us in the top 5.  We have to go out there and prove it but I disagree we are built for the regular season and not the playoffs. Yeah we are built for a long season but we've faultered in the playoffs due to injuries the past few years.  Does adding Horford and retooling our bench make us built for the regular season and playoffs?  remains to be seen but I think so.. Marcus could be 6th man of the year this year if he really sets his mind to it.  We have Jaylen on our bench as well as Green this year plus Rozier.  We subtracted Turner and Sully. I think we are much more talented and built for the long haul this year.  We were starting jerebko in the playoffs last year and had no bench to speak of outside of Turner. He was even part of the starting group once Crowder and Bradley went down.  Sully was not with it.

We had Isaiah, Turner, Jerebko, Smart and a banged up Crowder against Atlanta round one last year.  We had no center.  Sully was basically rendered useless.  We have Horford now. We took their guy.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Guys like Smart and Jaylen are much more starting quality players who can come in and start vs what Turner and jerebko were last year. Rozier and Green too for that matter.  Horford is a legit center.

We had Turner and jerebko starting in the playoffs due to injury and no bench and no center.

We still have jerebko.  WE get down to Rozier and Gerald starting I might worry a bit because we are in similar position to last year and Horford goes down or something.

That's the biggest difference between this team and last years team though.  This year we are built for the playoffs.  Built for a championship is debateable, that might be the next step but we are built for the playoffs.  I wouldn't count this team out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:30:05 PM by walker834 »