Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 352472 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #1110 on: January 22, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Wow these recent two losses are really starting to hurt. Toronto about to loose its 3rd game in a row to the Suns. We could have had a lead for the 2nd seed by now.

Yep, was just going to post this. The Knicks and Trailblazers losses have been devastating.

Two teams who are probably the most desperate for wins at the moment.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1111 on: January 22, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
So the Lakers are now the third worst team in the league a full game behind the 4th worst Mavs, though they have one more win due to the number of games they've played already. They're two wins ahead of the 2nd worst Heat currently, though they're tied in the standings due also having two more losses.

Prediction: LAL tanks the rest of the season hard in order to try and keep their pick for this year (protected top-3), and they end the season as the 2nd worst overall team only behind Brooklyn.
Their current points differential puts them at 2nd worst in the NBA, all while trending in the wrong direction. Your prediction is probably accurate.

« Reply #1112 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lakers are going HARD at the top 3 pick.  What they have done the past two years is the most blatantly shameful tanking I've ever seen.  Last year they literally just let Kobe act as a one-man circus taking 50 shots a night shooting 30%.  It's an embarrassment to the NBA.  The league should force them to hire a colangelo.

« Reply #1113 on: January 22, 2017, 10:45:32 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Lakers could actually use another lottery pick. Not sure they have a franchise player on their team which is crazy given their lottery picks. I'm not a fan of Ingram personally. I think he can be a future all star, but not a franchise player.

« Reply #1114 on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:20 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Lakers are going HARD at the top 3 pick.  What they have done the past two years is the most blatantly shameful tanking I've ever seen.  Last year they literally just let Kobe act as a one-man circus taking 50 shots a night shooting 30%.  It's an embarrassment to the NBA.  The league should force them to hire a colangelo.

righttttttttt. come on now. that's the most blatant?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1115 on: January 22, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I am going with this being classic LB - just some tongue and cheek stuff.

As for the Lakers getting another top 3 pick - I sincerely hope they do not. While I don't like what the Sixers have done, I absolutely don't want the Lakers to ever win a championship again. Besides, they owe Philly a pick and it's only fair and square that they finally get it.

« Reply #1116 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Lakers could actually use another lottery pick. Not sure they have a franchise player on their team which is crazy given their lottery picks. I'm not a fan of Ingram personally. I think he can be a future all star, but not a franchise player.

Russell? I'd say he's probably the closest.

People talk about Brown being a Jeff Green clone, but I think Ingram is much closer to that comparison than Brown.

« Reply #1117 on: January 22, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Russell? I'd say he's probably the closest.

People talk about Brown being a Jeff Green clone, but I think Ingram is much closer to that comparison than Brown. 

If someone called Brown a Jeff Green clone, I'd take that as a compliment. I remember KG saying that Jeff Green was one of the most talented players he's ever played with, Greens problems seem to all stem from his head...and heart (obviously). Green in his prime was a poor mans Lebron James without the I.Q.

https://youtu.be/m59MdxUePIU?t=2m2s
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:25:57 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #1118 on: January 22, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yes.  Last year they literally had a sitting duck coach not attempting to win games.  It was a circus and a blatant attempt to keep their pick (they would have lost it had it fallen outside the top 3).  They didn't make a good faith effort to win games.  It wasn't like their good players were injured.  They were literally benching them in favor of a guy who was clearly helping them lose.  I've never seen anything like that.  I've seen injured teams. I've seen teams put a priority on developing youth.  But I've never seen anything as shameful as what the Lakers did last season is the guise of a "farewell tour".

I also don't think it's a coincidence they went from winning games to suddenly in the bottom 3.  They need to be in the bottom 3.  This is a huge draft.  I'm calling shenanigans.

I didn't get to watch our games during the ML Carr season so maybe someone can correct me if that was more blatant tanking than this.  I know in 2006-07 we shut down piece when he could have played and Doc definitely made some sketchy late game decisions - which was pretty blantant.  And I know in 2013-14 there were some questionable decisions made about rondo's games played... but I'm sticking with what I said.  What the Lakers have done is the most blantant and shameful tanking I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:16:16 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1119 on: January 23, 2017, 02:33:23 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Yes.  Last year they literally had a sitting duck coach not attempting to win games.  It was a circus and a blatant attempt to keep their pick (they would have lost it had it fallen outside the top 3).  They didn't make a good faith effort to win games.  It wasn't like their good players were injured.  They were literally benching them in favor of a guy who was clearly helping them lose.  I've never seen anything like that.  I've seen injured teams. I've seen teams put a priority on developing youth.  But I've never seen anything as shameful as what the Lakers did last season is the guise of a "farewell tour".

I also don't think it's a coincidence they went from winning games to suddenly in the bottom 3.  They need to be in the bottom 3.  This is a huge draft.  I'm calling shenanigans.

I didn't get to watch our games during the ML Carr season so maybe someone can correct me if that was more blatant tanking than this.  I know in 2006-07 we shut down piece when he could have played and Doc definitely made some sketchy late game decisions - which was pretty blantant.  And I know in 2013-14 there were some questionable decisions made about rondo's games played... but I'm sticking with what I said.  What the Lakers have done is the most blantant and shameful tanking I've ever seen.

this comment made no sense whatsoever until i realized who the author is.

« Reply #1120 on: January 23, 2017, 02:51:51 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
How about the Raptors?

Lost to Philly and Phoenix.
Lost @ Charlotte by 35 points.
Now they have to play the Spurs and go to Memphis.

That's brutal, I can't think of the reaction if it was the Celtics having this tough stretch.

« Reply #1121 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

i guess I'm alone in how disgusted I am at the Lakers shameful multi-year tankjob. 

« Reply #1122 on: January 23, 2017, 03:16:58 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

i guess I'm alone in how disgusted I am at the Lakers shameful multi-year tankjob.

I honesty can't tell if you are being sarcastic anymore, you commend 76ers for a multi year historical tank job and call Lakers losing 'disgusting'.

hypocrisy thy name is LarBrd33

« Reply #1123 on: January 23, 2017, 03:53:55 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

I honesty can't tell if you are being sarcastic anymore, you commend 76ers for a multi year historical tank job and call Lakers losing 'disgusting'.

We are not smart enough to distinguish "the process" from the "shameful tankjob"
LOL

« Reply #1124 on: January 23, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Why do people always have to work Philly into every discussion?  I'm talking about the Lakers.  What they have done over the past two years has been disgraceful.  It wasn't that their superstar was injured or they were developing the youth - they were just literally trying to lose games to keep their draft pick.  Last year I saw games in which Byron Scott pulled D'Angelo Russell in the middle of a hot streak ... his excuse being he didn't want Russell to "take over games"...  Why?  Cuz they might win?  It was pretty blatant.  I've never seen anything like it.  It's not a coincidence that they are in the bottom 3 right now after proving to be a competent team earlier in the season.  They need to be in the bottom 3 or they will lose their pick.  The Lakers are disrespecting the spirit of the game and I hope the basketball gods curse them.