Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 352165 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #1035 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:06 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I refuse to give credit to Hinkie. All did he did was draft Embiid which was the obvious choice at the 3rd spot. Even Danny was salivating with the possibility of trading up for him. Saric is okay, but that's it

Noel and Okafor are looking like a bust for the team fit and will only probably get less value than they actually have on market. Collangelo was the one who actually put more competent personnels on the court around Embiid.

« Reply #1036 on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We have a [dang] Sixers thread. Why is almost every thread spammed with nothing but Philly posts?!

« Reply #1037 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
We have a [dang] Sixers thread. Why is almost every thread spammed with nothing but Philly posts?!
this isn't the sixers thread?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1038 on: January 19, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
And there is nothing new that anyone can say.  They just keep repeating the same stuff over and over.  When Simmons starts playing there should be some new material.

« Reply #1039 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
there are three (maybe four) stories that have defined the first half of this NBA season. 

#1 -  a 73 win team adding an MVP player - we can and do talk about that here, but I personally find it extremely depressing as a fan of the game.  Barring a Lebronian miracle I don't see how they lose the title this year.

#2 - The rise of Isaiah Thomas -  I legit think it's one of the biggest stories in the NBA.  Horford' addition has allowed Thomas to flourish.  I wrote a lengthy thread arguing that I legitimately believe he is better offensively than the supremely overrated Allen Iverson.  We have an entire forum to discuss Thomas. 

#3 -  Embiid saving sports in Philly -  It's highly entertaining but also a feel-good story.  Yeah, some folks here might be bitter/jealous given that they hate the 76ers and invested a lot of time writing Embiid off as a bust, but it's an incredible story.  You probably put Embiid on the cover of the half-year review book.  No surprise he dominates an "Around the NBA" discussion. 

Honorable mention - The rise of Harden/Westbrook -  Kind of foresaw both with the Houston coach change and Durant leaving, but I find both less interesting.   First, I still see Westbrook as the most overrated player in the league.  His stats get inflated for a number of reasons.   Triple doubles aside, I see him on a par with Damian Lillard.   Harden is better and Houston is exceeding expectations so maybe we are not giving them enough credit.   I think it's partially because we know how d'antoni's style inflates player stats so this was kind of expected.  His teams always do better in the regular season.

« Reply #1040 on: January 19, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
there are three (maybe four) stories that have defined the first half of this NBA season. 

#1 -  a 73 win team adding an MVP player - we can and do talk about that here, but I personally find it extremely depressing as a fan of the game.  Barring a Lebronian miracle I don't see how they lose the title this year.

#2 - The rise of Isaiah Thomas -  I legit think it's one of the biggest stories in the NBA.  Horford' addition has allowed Thomas to flourish.  I wrote a lengthy thread arguing that I legitimately believe he is better offensively than the supremely overrated Allen Iverson.  We have an entire forum to discuss Thomas. 

#3 -  Embiid saving sports in Philly -  It's highly entertaining but also a feel-good story.  Yeah, some folks here might be bitter/jealous given that they hate the 76ers and invested a lot of time writing Embiid off as a bust, but it's an incredible story.  You probably put Embiid on the cover of the half-year review book.  No surprise he dominates an "Around the NBA" discussion. 

Honorable mention - The rise of Harden/Westbrook -  Kind of foresaw both with the Houston coach change and Durant leaving, but I find both less interesting.   First, I still see Westbrook as the most overrated player in the league.  His stats get inflated for a number of reasons.   Triple doubles aside, I see him on a par with Damian Lillard.   Harden is better and Houston is exceeding expectations so maybe we are not giving them enough credit.   I think it's partially because we know how d'antoni's style inflates player stats so this was kind of expected.  His teams always do better in the regular season.

How you gonna leave out the Rise of the Freak?!!!

The continued dominance of the post Duncan Spurs and Kawhi "No Hype" Leonard is quietly a big story. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #1041 on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I would put IT 3rd, and Westbrook/Harden 2nd. Then Embiid 4th. I honestly listen to all sorts of podcasts and read articles, Embiid and the Sixers aren't mentioned as much as you're claiming here.

« Reply #1042 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I would put IT 3rd, and Westbrook/Harden 2nd. Then Embiid 4th. I honestly listen to all sorts of podcasts and read articles, Embiid and the Sixers aren't mentioned as much as you're claiming here.
Good read on The Ringer about how Philly erased their "losing culture" in like 5 games:  https://theringer.com/the-sixers-are-surging-no-seriously-1ba309be239#.vdsizc31t

« Reply #1043 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Greek Freak, first time all star as a starter!!!  That's a big Freaking story!!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #1044 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Greek Freak, first time all star as a starter!!!  That's a big Freaking story!!!
For the first time in several years, I may actually watch the all star game with the Greek Freak in it.  If they add Embiid as a reserve that would put it over the top.  I really like this new crop of young stars. 

« Reply #1045 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Cavs announcer is the most annoying sounds like Steve Harvey

« Reply #1046 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Not saying he is not deserving. But it always help to have a whole country voting for you.

« Reply #1047 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
For the first time in several years, I may actually watch the all star game with the Greek Freak in it.  If they add Embiid as a reserve that would put it over the top.  I really like this new crop of young stars.

I really wanna see an IT-Embiid PnR off the bench. All Hatfield and McCoy hatred aside hahaha.

The idea of an elite 5'9 (take the under) guy and a freak 7'2 (take the over) guy running pick and rolls is amazing.

« Reply #1048 on: January 19, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Can we now stop with the arguments that Olynyk is as good as him?

« Reply #1049 on: January 19, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Can we now stop with the arguments that Olynyk is as good as him?

Is this a thing?