Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 352741 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #975 on: January 14, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Drummond: 9 points, 19 rebounds (!!!) in 31 minutes

Hayward: 20 points, 4 rebounds in 25 minutes

Utah winning now 84-68

I would consider Drummond and Whiteside "sleeper trade targets" as the trade deadline approaches. Not expecting them to get traded but I'm sure each team will hear offers for both.

So I'm going to occasionally see how they do these days.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #976 on: January 14, 2017, 01:28:45 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why would the Pistons even entertain a Drummond trade?

« Reply #977 on: January 14, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Why would the Pistons even entertain a Drummond trade?

I don't think he gets dealt but if Pistons keep losing they could hear out the offers for him.

« Reply #978 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
(Jimmy Butler Watch)

Bulls up 63-48.

Butler has 23 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists in 21 minutes.

« Reply #979 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Pistons aren't trading Drummond.

« Reply #980 on: January 15, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I've got to say, Lakers late game execution is terrible. It's essentially people taking turns playing hero ball. Seems like Randle is the only player willing to pass.

« Reply #981 on: January 16, 2017, 12:02:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Lakers have played an absurd amount of games so far this season -- already 45.  Compare that with Philly which has only played 38.  Most teams have played 40-42 so far.

« Reply #982 on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:17 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I've got to say, Lakers late game execution is terrible. It's essentially people taking turns playing hero ball. Seems like Randle is the only player willing to pass.

After having Kobe so long, they probably don't realize there are other options.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #983 on: January 16, 2017, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
When PHI takes the minutes restriction off of Joel Embiid this dude is going to be something else.

22 pts (4-9FG), 1-3 from deep, 13-18 FT, 2 assists, 2 stls, 5 blocks in only 28 min...

They just beat MIL on the road as well.

This young man is becoming a Game Changer and I'm happy for him. It's hard not to like him.

They're only 7.5 games out of that last playoff spot, and considering who's in front of them....

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

ORL - 3-7 their last 10 games.

PHI could very well be a darkhorse. My realistic mind tells me that before they go pushing for playoffs (and more minutes on Embiid's body) they'll continue with the min restrictions and will end up missing that last spot by maybe 4-5 games. Nice turnaround for them, though.

« Reply #984 on: January 16, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
When PHI takes the minutes restriction off of Joel Embiid this dude is going to be something else.

22 pts (4-9FG), 1-3 from deep, 13-18 FT, 2 assists, 2 stls, 5 blocks in only 28 min...

This young man is becoming a Game Changer and I'm happy for him. It's hard not to like him.

They're only 7.5 games out of that last playoff spot, and considering who's in front of them....

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

PHI could very well be a darkhorse. My realistic mind tells me that before they go pushing for playoffs (and more minutes on Embiid's body) they'll continue with the min restrictions and will end up missing that last spot by maybe 4-5 games. Nice turnaround for them, though.

Totally agree. Not only is Embiid unbelievably dominant for a guy with his lack of experience on a minutes restriction to boot, but the Sixers are also adding a healthy Ben Simmons to that group soon. Saric also looks great lately, has come up with some huge plays in several of these wins. They are a legit threat to the #8 seed this year, which is amazing.

Next year with the addition of Fultz/Ball plus whoever they get with the Lakers pick, and whoever they trade Noel/Okafor for, they are going to easily be a playoff squad.

« Reply #985 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

They are actually only 6.5 games out of the 8th spot.  Embiid isn't playing back to backs and the Sixers have 9 or 10 of those left this season.  I think they'd be very shortsighted to remove Embiid's playing restrictions in a push to the playoffs where they'd just get blown away by the Cavs.  If the Sixers were to make the playoffs, Embiid ought to get some MVP votes. 

Per Derek Bodner before the Bucks game, the Sixers without Embiid on court are getting outscored worse than last year's Sixers (-11.2 vs. -10.0 per 100 possessions).   With Embiid on court, the Sixers are outscoring their opponents by 1.5 pts per 100 possessions) which includes the time spent experimenting with the Okafor/Embiid combo.  On a per minute basis, Embiid is scoring more than any rookie other than Wilt and at this point Embiid is significantly better on defense than offense. 

« Reply #986 on: January 16, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

Totally agree. Not only is Embiid unbelievably dominant for a guy with his lack of experience on a minutes restriction to boot, but the Sixers are also adding a healthy Ben Simmons to that group soon. Saric also looks great lately, has come up with some huge plays in several of these wins. They are a legit threat to the #8 seed this year, which is amazing.

Next year with the addition of Fultz/Ball plus whoever they get with the Lakers pick, and whoever they trade Noel/Okafor for, they are going to easily be a playoff squad.

First off I agree on Embiid being awesome. Possibly my favorite rookie since shaq (and i was a kid then and collected all shaqs rookie cards). I am curious how many minutes Embiid will play at his max because I do think they will always have in the back of their mind that he shouldn't be a league leader in minutes played (even without the injury history he just has a giant frame).

There are 6 centers that average 33 or more minutes (high of 35.7 for towns). Of the giant centers (Drummond, Jordan, Gobert) Gobert is the high with 33.

« Reply #987 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

Simmons is going to be on a minutes restriction plus they'll be having to fit him into the team which is going to take some time since they want to run the offense through him.  Considering how well they are playing lately, they may not have a chance to get Fultz or Ball.  Their own pick may not be top 5.  They could even end up using the Kings pick swap.  The Lakers pick is top 3 protected so they'll be a decent shot it rolls over to next year. 

« Reply #988 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

DET - 4-6 last 10

MIL - 5-5 last 10.

NY - 2-8 (yikes)

First off I agree on Embiid being awesome. Possibly my favorite rookie since shaq (and i was a kid then and collected all shaqs rookie cards). I am curious how many minutes Embiid will play at his max because I do think they will always have in the back of their mind that he shouldn't be a league leader in minutes played (even without the injury history he just has a giant frame).

There are 6 centers that average 33 or more minutes (high of 35.7 for towns). Of the giant centers (Drummond, Jordan, Gobert) Gobert is the high with 33.
Minutes are coming down across the board.  There are only 17 players with 35+ minutes.  From a career standpoint, I'd limit Embiid to 30 minutes or so in the regular season.  I'd also plan some games off during the congested parts of the schedule.  There's no reason for him to be playing 4 games in 7 nights. 

« Reply #989 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Wow @ Philly having won 6 of their last 7 with Embiid. 

I don't think you'll find a single Philly fan at this point who wouldn't say the 3 brief tank years were worth it. 

They haven't even suited up Simmons yet.   I gotta say the biggest benefit of having SImmons miss these last few months are all of the developmental minutes they got to give Dario Saric.  He had a great game tonight.  Coming into the season people expected him to get something like 8-10 minutes off the bench as he adjusted to the NBA, but instead he was force-fed 24 mpg and he seems to have made the most of it.