Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 349898 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Joel embiid is about to kill one of those refs, looked extremely annoyed going to the bench
he looks amazing on both ends.  Also the brief minutes he shared with okafor seemed fine.   Looking forward to seeing those guys without minute restrictions.

« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I just learned i have NBA league pass!  ;D

76ers are playing Embiid and Okafor together and they're reminding me of a young David Robinson and Tim Duncan. If they acquire a good PG, watch out. Simmons is going to make this squad a huge force.

Might just be rest but Okafor has looked really bad to start the season. Has 10 points on 14 shots through a game a half in limited minutes.

« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Embiid made Dwight Howard look like a rookie.   Dwight has 4 fouls.  Can't seem to guard Embiid.

Who knows if Embiid will stay healthy, but everything I've seen so far clearly shows a future superstar.  I watched Davis and Towns both closely as rookies.  Embiid has it.

« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not many big men can threaten the three and then drive to the hoop like this.   
https://vine.co/v/5pepAVZmmtb

« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

76ers are playing Embiid and Okafor together and they're reminding me of a young David Robinson and Tim Duncan. If they acquire a good PG, watch out. Simmons is going to make this squad a huge force.

Might just be rest but Okafor has looked really bad to start the season. Has 10 points on 14 shots through a game a half in limited minutes.

The next question is, how does he look next to Noel on the other hand? (that is if they have played together for significant stretches to be able to tell)
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The next question is, how does he look next to Noel on the other hand? (that is if they have played together for significant stretches to be able to tell)
Noel is out with surgery for a few weeks.   Okafor is on a 12 minute restriction and is clearly working through rust.  He hasn't played in months. He missed all of training camp and preseason.

He has 16 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 1 assist in 31 minutes.   He'll be fine.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:42:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Noel is out with surgery for a few weeks.   Okafor is on a 12 minute restriction and is clearly working through rust.  He hasn't played in months.

He has 16 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 1 assist in 31 minutes.   He'll be fine.

To give the full stats he is 6-17 from the field and 4 turnovers. Shooting 33% as a big man will get you benched. I think it could be just rust also, but to act like he has played well is comical.

« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Newsflash: despite having a million young talented players, the 76ers still suck. My bet: they will start losing talent before the team becomes good.

« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Noel is out with surgery for a few weeks.   Okafor is on a 12 minute restriction and is clearly working through rust.  He hasn't played in months.

To give the full stats he is 6-17 from the field and 4 turnovers. Shooting 33% as a big man will get you benched. I think it could be just rust also, but to act like he has played well is comical.
"Could be" rust?  He hasn't played basketball since Feburary.  That's over half a year.  First because of shin soreness and then surgery on his knee.  He missed all of training camp.  He missed all of preseason.  He's on a 12 minute restriction, because he hasn't jogged in 7 months.   He hadn't even practiced with the team prior to his debut.  Obviously he's rusty.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:32:45 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Newsflash: despite having a million young talented players, the 76ers still suck. My bet: they will start losing talent before the team becomes good.
They should struggle this year, but Embiid looks flat out dominant despite working off two years of rust.   There's only so much he can do in 15-20 minutes per game, though.  Their other potential phenom, Ben Simmons, is out until January at the earliest.  Potentially their best shooter and intended starting PG, Bayless (44% from three last year), is out for a month.  Their other potential future all-star, Jahlil Okafor, hasn't played basketball in 7 months and has a 12 minute restriction while he gets back into game shape.   Not to mention, Nerlens Noel is out with surgery right now so you probably will not see them get any value out of him in trade for at least a couple months.

This year, they will probably tank again and try to get two top 5 picks (their own and the Lakers top 3 protected).   Mid-season, things could fall into place if the minutes restrictions lift and Simmons gets unleashed.   But at the moment, the fans there seem ecstatic.  Sold out crowds chanting "Trust the Process" (disproving the nonsense idea that the Philly fans would "never forgive" the team for tanking).   The entire point of the tanking was to land franchise talent and their 3 tankjobs have resulted in 3 players with star potential.   Things could turn around rapidly for that team in the next couple years.

« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

"Could be" rust?  He hasn't played basketball since Feburary.  That's over half a year.  First because of shin soreness and then surgery on his knee.  He missed all of training camp.  He missed all of preseason.  He's on a 12 minute restriction, because he hasn't jogged in 7 months.   He hadn't even practiced with the team prior to his debut.  Obviously he's rusty.
I'm just saying it was kind of weak to omit his 33% shooting and turnovers while listing his one assist. He hasn't played well. We obviously have different opinions on him though.

« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm just saying it was kind of weak to omit his 33% shooting and turnovers while listing his one assist. He hasn't played well. We obviously have different opinions on him though.
He and Embiid played a couple minutes tonight and it looked like it might actually work.  Embiid can do enough outside the paint that it should be a far better pairing than Okafor/Noel last season.  Okafor thinks the two of them can be dominant together long term:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243815/Jahlil-Okafor-Believes-He-And-Embiid-Can-Really-Dominate-Together

“I think it’s going to be exciting,” Embiid said. “We played a little bit together today in practice. We’re figuring out how to play with each other. It’s a process and we’ve got trust it.”

“I think once we figure it out, we can really dominate together,” Okafor said. “We were able to flirt with it again today. We accidentally keep ending up on the same team even though Coach keeps telling us to make sure we alternate. But we’re having fun. We’re trying to put some pressure on it because we want to play together.”

Two budding young big man stars.  Should be interesting to see how that develops.

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He and Embiid played a couple minutes tonight and it looked like it might actually work.  Embiid can do enough outside the paint that it should be a far better pairing than Okafor/Noel last season.  Okafor thinks the two of them can be dominant together long term:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243815/Jahlil-Okafor-Believes-He-And-Embiid-Can-Really-Dominate-Together

“I think it’s going to be exciting,” Embiid said. “We played a little bit together today in practice. We’re figuring out how to play with each other. It’s a process and we’ve got trust it.”

“I think once we figure it out, we can really dominate together,” Okafor said. “We were able to flirt with it again today. We accidentally keep ending up on the same team even though Coach keeps telling us to make sure we alternate. But we’re having fun. We’re trying to put some pressure on it because we want to play together.”

Two budding young big man stars.  Should be interesting to see how that develops.
embiid is definitely a star. You can see that from the first game he played. Okafor is a nice talent for scoring offense off the bench. However I like him even less than Noel (as do many 76er fans)

« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Interesting observations of the early season so far:

The Magic have been terrible, and they're on pace to lose their third straight game tonight by a significant margin. This could be of interest to us with a potential Ibaka trade closer to the deadline, who would really not want to resign with the Magic if they're as bad as they're looking so far.

Indiana is getting blown out in Chicago, right after losing in Brooklyn the other night. So hopefully people will slow down on the Pacers expectations a bit.

« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Interesting observations of the early season so far:

The Magic have been terrible, and they're on pace to lose their third straight game tonight by a significant margin. This could be of interest to us with a potential Ibaka trade closer to the deadline, who would really not want to resign with the Magic if they're as bad as they're looking so far.

Indiana is getting blown out in Chicago, right after losing in Brooklyn the other night. So hopefully people will slow down on the Pacers expectations a bit.
i wouldn't trade for ibaka, personally

He's 43 years old
I trust Danny Ainge