Author Topic: Is it likely the Celtics will clear Marcus and Kelly to play too early?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
With Marcus and Kelly both healing I'm wondering if one of them might be cleared to play too soon and risk further injury.

This has already happened a couple times with Marcus. He probably tells the medical staff that he feels great even though he needs a half pound of tape in order to play. Hopefully, the staff won't be duped again.

Kelly's injury is more precarious. Those shoulder injuries often take a long time to heal. Surprisingly, he has already been cleared for practice with contact while he wasn't expected back until January. This doesn't sound right to me. What's the rush?

Can't just blame the medical staff...sometimes a player is cleared to play and it's painfully obvious to the fans he shouldn't be in the game. This has happened with Sully, Amir and Isaiah in the past. Brad needs to take the medical staff's diagnosis with a grain of salt given their track record.   
Why risk further injury so early in the season?

Re: Is it likely the Celtics will clear Marcus and Kelly to play too early?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Marcus maybe, Kelly no.

Edit: Misread the question.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I'm not sure what Stevens can do if the medical staff is saying the guys are ready to come back. I suppose he could not play them, but that doesn't really make any sense.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:43:50 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I'm not sure what Stevens can do if the medical staff is saying the guys are ready to come back. I suppose he could not play them, but that doesn't really make any sense.

Judging from past experience it's clear the medical staff is too sympathetic to some players' wishes.

Brad can use common sense and nip this premature clearance habit in the bud. If someone is obviously limping up and down the court, then he needs to seriously consider sitting that player down regardless of what the medical staff says.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Regarding KO, there seems to be a very objective test to determine whether his shoulder is strong enough to return to full contact.  What other metric could one use to determine his recovery?

Edit:  Also, I've never heard January for KO.  I'm certainly capable of misremembering, but I think October was the consensus timeframe.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:58:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
With Marcus and Kelly both healing I'm wondering if one of them might be cleared to play too soon and risk further injury.

This has already happened a couple times with Marcus. He probably tells the medical staff that he feels great even though he needs a half pound of tape in order to play. Hopefully, the staff won't be duped again.

Kelly's injury is more precarious. Those shoulder injuries often take a long time to heal. Surprisingly, he has already been cleared for practice with contact while he wasn't expected back until January. This doesn't sound right to me. What's the rush?

Can't just blame the medical staff...sometimes a player is cleared to play and it's painfully obvious to the fans he shouldn't be in the game. This has happened with Sully, Amir and Isaiah in the past. Brad needs to take the medical staff's diagnosis with a grain of salt given their track record.   
Why risk further injury so early in the season?

Where did you get that from?

The Celtics said Olynyk will begin an immediate rehabilitation program, and Ainge noted that this surgery typically entails a five-month recovery. While Ainge stressed that's not a firm timeline because every player is different, a five-month recovery would sideline Olynyk until around mid-October and could result in him missing the start of the 2016-17 season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15579949/boston-celtics-center-kelly-olynyk-right-shoulder-surgery

It's a 5-6 month recovery period. There is no waiting until January.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about