Author Topic: RJ a victim due to Dannys inability to make trades on draft night?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We have how many multiple picks drafts to go

So basically no 1st round picks maybe safe for their initial contracts (1st 2 years). Well unless maybe you are a top 5 pick, like a Jaylen Brown

Can Danny proceed to use all of his picks moving forward?  I guess he can go the draft and stash route (this could be an issue if the int player does not want to be stashed).

Also you dont normally mid 2nd round pick getting a shot off the bat (Jackson) while a 1st round guy gets waived only after 1 season

Its not like RJ rode the bench/played in the D year all year long (Fab Melo)

Re: RJ a victim due to Dannys inability to make trades on draft night?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I guess we cant forget about Dannys attempt to grab Winslow (though it looks like a blessing it didnt happen)

Still can he go on making picks after picks all the way down to the last 2nd round pick

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
To answer the questions, yes. To many pics can be a problem.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Hunter is a victim of not being that good at basketball compared to his peers. Teams don't make trades to open up roster spots for scrub players.

Hopefully the roster crunch is alleviated somewhat by the two new roster spots opened up next year for players spending time in the D-League.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not saying he has to burn one for nothing... he did trade those early 2nds this past draft (though some were p---ed that we didnt keep Davis)

I dunno, he could have attached a few of those 2nds and move up to 14th and 21st picks for example? Or trade the 16, 21 and a few 2nds and grab another lottery pick

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think Hunter is a victim of not being that good at basketball compared to his peers. Teams don't make trades to open up roster spots for scrub players.

Hopefully the roster crunch is alleviated somewhat by the two new roster spots opened up next year for players spending time in the D-League.

I guess... Hunter was no melo though and there are plenty of players drafted prior to hunter that stink even more... hopefully he gets a shot somewhere else... a really really bad day for the guy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
he's a victim of danny never wanting to overpay even if it wouldn't really matter.  you've heard it from other gm's. 

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Hunter were good enough, Ainge wouldn't have signed Gerald Green to a vet min dea, or Hunter would have beaten him out.  Hunter was cut because he isn't good enough, and no one wanted to trade for him.  It was a failed pick.  It's not the end of the world.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If Hunter were good enough, Ainge wouldn't have signed Gerald Green to a vet min dea, or Hunter would have beaten him out.  Hunter was cut because he isn't good enough, and no one wanted to trade for him.  It was a failed pick.  It's not the end of the world.

What about Young? No one wanted to trade for him also

I do agree re: Green.... though he is not really a min vet type talent

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
he's a victim of danny never wanting to overpay even if it wouldn't really matter.  you've heard it from other gm's.

You prefer a GM who overpays?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's not unreasonable to suggest that Ainge has not made moves to accommodate the avalanche of picks he's got.  If we don't resign Zeller, there would have been room for both Young and RJ.  He doesn't resign Zeller and unloads RJ for a 2nd rounder last season, we could have kept Bentil.  But Zeller and his big contract may be the thing that makes it possible to trade for a superstar this year.  And what if he traded RJ and then Young takes that as a sign his roster spot is secure?

I think Ainge is prioritizing flexibility over all else right now and if that means he has to lose an excess asset or two, he'd rather do that than makes moves to hold onto them and sacrifice that flexibility.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Not saying he has to burn one for nothing... he did trade those early 2nds this past draft (though some were p---ed that we didnt keep Davis)

I dunno, he could have attached a few of those 2nds and move up to 14th and 21st picks for example? Or trade the 16, 21 and a few 2nds and grab another lottery pick

If those trades were an option, he probably would have made them. There's nothing to suggest that those were even on the table, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
RJ Hunter...a victim of not being able to shoot through ball even though he came into the NBA as a "shooter."

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Not a big deal.  Suns had to do it too.   You take a shot.   The one gift RJ had was shooting and he got beat out in camp.   Maybe this is the cost to motivate Young and his career.     

We have how many multiple picks drafts to go

So basically no 1st round picks maybe safe for their initial contracts (1st 2 years). Well unless maybe you are a top 5 pick, like a Jaylen Brown

Can Danny proceed to use all of his picks moving forward?  I guess he can go the draft and stash route (this could be an issue if the int player does not want to be stashed).

Also you dont normally mid 2nd round pick getting a shot off the bat (Jackson) while a 1st round guy gets waived only after 1 season

Its not like RJ rode the bench/played in the D year all year long (Fab Melo)
Diggles

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Not once did I watch RJ Hunter and think that this guy could be our version of Reggie Miller or even Kyle Korver. I honestly think that he was helped by the NCAA tourney. Definitely a good shooter, but he hasn't shown the ability to be a lights out shooter. After one year, I'd give him a B- in this department. Given his non shooting skill set and average athleticism, I think he needs to be an A shooter to have solid value in the NBA.

I don't lose much sleep over late round draft picks. James Young was a top rated player out of high school, has great size, and just turned 21. Two years younger than Hunter. Neither will probably great players.

On a sad note, RJ Hunter turned 23..... Today. Ouch
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:22:33 PM by green_bballers13 »