Poll

Who is the actual better player? Young or RJ H?

Way too close to call
6 (30%)
Young
7 (35%)
RJ
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Who is the actual better player? Young or RJ H?  (Read 3113 times)

Who is the actual better player? Young or RJ H?
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Lost in this on some level....who is actually better?

If you're in a tough game against a rival for seeding and people get hurt who do you want playing a quarter?

Or if you get in a situation where one of them has to play a lot for 10 games?

I know Young has gotten better, but I just have a hard time saying "Young." I feel like RJ has a better feel, typically has been the better shooter, typically hustles more, and shoots better.

Maybe this is just a grass is greener reaction.

The only two things Ainge could do wrong was release Young or RJ.

Re: Who is the actual better player? Young or RJ H?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think Hunter's defense is more solid right now.  Both stepped up making plays on defnese but young still gets burnt pretty  bad sometimes. Who is the actual better player? I'd have to go with james young.  I think either could have thrived as the 15th guy if that's even possible with the other out of the picture though.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
they both seem equally bad for an nba player i'd say.  only time will tell. i think its really a tie right now, neither one is very good at all.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think they're both pretty useless right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Hunter has better court vision and passing, but his shooting has not been consistent. I don't know how he's a better shooter, since pre-season didn't prove that notion. Nor did he bulk up, as he was getting pushed and seemed easily frustrated in SL.

Young and Hunter are both 15th players, so there currently isn't that much premise to how high their ceiling currently is, but I'm not holding my breath for either players to develop that much.

I can only hope Young takes this as his last chance, and busts his butt to prove the doubters wrong. Horford and Crowder has apparently taken Young under their wings, so maybe Crowder who once spoke up about Young's laziness can motivate and set a fire underneath him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
RJ is the better player right now but James has the higher ceiling
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think Young is the better player by very slim margins. Seems to be closer to a natural athlete than RJ, I can more clearly imagine a world where Young's frame fill out and his natural, effortless shooting stroke of finally paired with some defensive intagibles.

They kind of remind me of the dilemma that the Sixers were facing when deciding between Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. While I do think they made the right choice as Simmons is more likely to turn into an All-Star player than Ingram in my opinion, but the argument was valid in questioning whether Ingram's skill set was more easily projectable to be successful at the NBA level than Simmon's game.

Kind of the same thing with RJ and Young. RJ may be a better basketball player in a vacuum, but he doesn't easily slide into what you traditionally imagine a 2/3 to do, he's got more playmaking ability which while impressive, I think could clash with primary ball-handlers that already have the playmaking covered.

With James Young, all I'm asking him to do is come in when your number is called and get buckets. Use that length to defend and board as much as you can, but when you catch that ball behind the 3-point line, I don't want you to drive and kick, I don't want you to probe the defense and maybe squeeze out an opening for a floater, I want you to shoot the ball. That's why I'm taking Young with the final roster spot.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Young is the better player by very slim margins. Seems to be closer to a natural athlete than RJ, I can more clearly imagine a world where Young's frame fill out and his natural, effortless shooting stroke of finally paired with some defensive intagibles.

They kind of remind me of the dilemma that the Sixers were facing when deciding between Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. While I do think they made the right choice as Simmons is more likely to turn into an All-Star player than Ingram in my opinion, but the argument was valid in questioning whether Ingram's skill set was more easily projectable to be successful at the NBA level than Simmon's game.

Kind of the same thing with RJ and Young. RJ may be a better basketball player in a vacuum, but he doesn't easily slide into what you traditionally imagine a 2/3 to do, he's got more playmaking ability which while impressive, I think could clash with primary ball-handlers that already have the playmaking covered.

With James Young, all I'm asking him to do is come in when your number is called and get buckets. Use that length to defend and board as much as you can, but when you catch that ball behind the 3-point line, I don't want you to drive and kick, I don't want you to probe the defense and maybe squeeze out an opening for a floater, I want you to shoot the ball. That's why I'm taking Young with the final roster spot.

Kind of how I see it. I think Young always had the better NBA body, and frame versus Hunter who seemed like he had all the intangibles of a coach's son, but none of the athleticism or shooting stroke that can prove really tough to block when compared to Young's, who has a nice lefty stroke.

NBA 2K is so unrealistic lol, but I traded to get Ingram, and currently run with a squad of.

Smart, Middleton, Ingram, Horford and Cousins. Young is behind Gerald Green, with J-Smoove, Pressey, Pierce, Rozier, Mickey, Jerebko, and Perkins as my back up.

I simulated this year, and Young is now a 72 with 3pt shooting around 77 lol.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Too close to call. I'd lean towards James Young at the moment.

It is a pity we have to lose one of them / give up on one of them so early in their careers. I like both players. I expect both of them to be rotation caliber players in the future.

Deep roster + lots of good late draft pick selections = jettisoning of useful NBA talent.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Too close to call. It is a pity we have to lose one of them / give up on one of them so early in their careers. I like them both. I expect both of them to be rotation caliber players in the future.
Disagree completely with both of the two eventually becoming rotational players. I think the most likely scenario is they both hang onto the very end of teams' benches for the next couple of years before heading overseas to continue their careers.

Neither show anything to me that they have the skill to be a rorational player.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
They are both nothing right now so it's hard to really see any separation between the two. RJ seems to have the better BBIQ and makes nice passes here and there, but honestly I think his "good" BBIQ relative to Young has always been overstated. He takes ridiculously dumb shots and passes right into the middle of the paint when its crowded too often which seems to always end up with our big getting gobbled up and creating a turnover.

Young doesn't really do anything absurdly dumb...he just doesn't do anything, which is a whole other issue on its own, heh (until this latest pre-season at least).

I think the advantage Young has here is that he is still two years younger than Hunter and has a much better NBA body. Despite being in the league a year longer, Young still has more raw potential so might as well roll the dice on him for now.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would be surprised if either one is still in the league 2 years from now. I know Hunter won't be.  He's just not athletic enough to play at this level but I'm sure he can go to Europe and make some money.  Young better make a jump soon but he's also not going to improve gathering dust on the Celtics bench as the 15th man.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
The guys in practice know.  I think it was an honest competition.  Celtics have to be like the patriots now:  Ainge didn't say that RJ was the 16th best on the team, he was just not as good as the other guards.  Patriots don't hold on to OK players when someone else beats them out.  Honest competition for a roster spot helps build great teams.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 01:38:02 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
IMO James Young is destined to be a D-league superstar and RJ is the better player but what do I know.

I was never a huge fan, but in Danny and Brad we trust. I will trust their decision.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 01:41:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
RJ is the better player right now but James has the higher ceiling

Yes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC