Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18936 times)

Re: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If nobody picks him up can he report to celtics d league team?
He and his agent will have to decide how long to wait for another NBA team to have a look at him.  He could sign one or more 10-day contracts and get better exposure than dropping down to the D-league.

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes, if he wants to go that route.

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
IMO Young won due to:  better size (Young potentially a 2 -3, RJ is never more than a 2), James is younger, better $ to use in a trade and their play this summer and preseason has been close to equal. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2016, 10:26:21 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I think the sad truth of the matter is that RJ was a shooter, who couldn't shot. Seems like a nice kid, and I hope he hooks on somewhere and finds his shot, but think Young brings more to the table right now.
Young is shooting better, rebounding better, even defending better. Add that to the fact he's 2 years younger I think it was a reasonable decision.

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe it comes down to athleticism, shooting ability, and potential.  James Young has all around better athleticism, is actually shooting better now, and is showing some growth. 

RJ Hunter came back in year 2 and he was still getting outmuscled and his shot still wasn't falling at a markedly better rate.  I feel he probably can still make it in the NBA as a bench shooter, but he just wasn't good enough based on the roster crunch.

Best of luck to Hunter in the rest of his career.  If he makes good, a return to Boston later down the road isn't out of the question as seen by our own Gerald Green.

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's also worth noting that Hunter wasn't given near the opportunity that Young was.  Jimmy was essentially given 2 full years to prove he can breathe without assistance. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:13 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think the sad truth of the matter is that RJ was a shooter, who couldn't shot. Seems like a nice kid, and I hope he hooks on somewhere and finds his shot, but think Young brings more to the table right now.
Young is shooting better, rebounding better, even defending better. Add that to the fact he's 2 years younger I think it was a reasonable decision.

The decision was definitely reasonable. Maybe I'm just an emotional person but I just didn't wanna see RJ, the person, cut. I didn't want that sad news for RJ on his birthday.

But it's a business, and I'm sure RJ realizes that. I just would hate to be in Danny's shoes as he was telling RJ that he was getting cut.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's also worth noting that Hunter wasn't given near the opportunity that Young was.  Jimmy was essentially given 2 full years to prove he can breathe without assistance.
That's true, but it's about timing.  We happened to have the roster space to not have to make the decision until now.

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I have a hard time believing no one picks him up. He was a mid-1st kinda guy just last year. Someone will scoop him up for the NBA. Be it Brooklyn, LA or whoever

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I have a hard time believing no one picks him up. He was a mid-1st kinda guy just last year. Someone will scoop him up for the NBA. Be it Brooklyn, LA or whoever

For what it's worth, the teams that can claim him on waivers are:

Brooklyn
Cleveland
Denver
Indiana
Clippers
Minnesota
Philly
Phoenix
Utah

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It also bears mentioning for future obsessions with youngsters that it was about this time last year where there were actually threads with people suggesting we start RJ Hunter.

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

For what it's worth, the teams that can claim him on waivers are:

Brooklyn
Cleveland
Denver
Indiana
Clippers
Minnesota
Philly
Phoenix
Utah

Not that they could claim him off waivers, but I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte eventually gives him a look (I think they have a full 15 currently, but 3 of them are undrafted players with less NBA experience than Hunter).

Didn't the story come out later about the C's failed 2015 draft night trade with Charlotte, that Charlotte really liked Hunter but didn't think he'd be there at #16, so when the C's eventually grabbed him at #28 that's when Charlotte called Danny back up and said they'd do the deal?  Either way, here's an old quote from Chad Ford saying they like him:

Hornets also like RJ Hunter a lot, but won't take him at 9. It's possible they trade down a few spots for Hunter & pick up another asset

— Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) June 16, 2015

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i dont claim to be a mathematical wizard or anything, but being picked 28th out of 30th in the first round would seem be worse than a "mid-1st kinda guy."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i hope james weight,muscle gain helps him on defense  because i have never seen that bad a defender on the celtics-not just getting over screens but mental mistakes
-he is scary bad

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Bad move.  Hunter is a baller.  Young is a freakin statue, I don't care what he's done recently, his body of work speaks for itself.