Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18934 times)

Re: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2016, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
god forbid Ainge has to earn his paycheck.   you won in 2008 you fat ****.

Early nominee for worst post of the year....

nominee?? I say hand him the trophy, right now. The clincher is he was not even trying.

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2016, 11:51:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Well, I was very wrong.  Thought many of the factors discussed here and elsewhere pointed to RJ as the favorite, but Jimmy lives to see another day.

Now for some humble pie dessert and a long, hard look in the mirror.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:47:27 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I admit I was wrong saying RJ had the 15th roster spot.

I wanted RJ, but I can see it either way. Danny was clear that this was not "decided for him", in any case, and it was not an easy decision.

RJ Hunter blew it. He did have one great preseason game, but he didn't seem to carry it over into the next one. There's also no excuse for his lame shooting. That ultimately did him in.

Scoring was never his calling card, and shooting certainly isn't.  He played well throughout the preseason; in the New York game he had moments of real brilliance - the touchdown pass to Mickey for a layup, getting backdoor behind two defenders for a layup of his own...

Having said that, he certainly could have helped himself with a more reliable 3-pointer.

I think of the two, RJ is the one with the only true chance of having an NBA career.

Have to disagree here.  In any case, it looks as though Danny Ainge disagrees with you, too, at least when it comes to Young.

I think what happened was we hit a very boring part of the off-season and it was natural to debate Young versus Hunter. Scal even mentioned it in a game or two and called it side drama.

It could've gone either way. The ones who picked Young get the bragging rights.

Someone said Danny probably flipped a coin. It's possible.

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2016, 01:08:25 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Not sure what got Young over the line. I get the argument that he is younger and maybe has more potential (as a shooter at least). Having considered that, I move quickly to agreeing that it is a side issue and though probably not decided by coin toss, Hunter is probably a little unlucky as it was most likely a close thing.

As James Young's development continues my gut feeling is that his spot will be taken by somebody who will add more in the not too distant future.

« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
James Young has 9th/10th man on the roster potential. RJ Hunter is a scorer with 6th man potential. If this were for basketball reasons, it was a terrible decision.
Ultimately I'd say it was for salary reasons. More flexibility.

James Young is trash. Utter trash.

I respect you a lot of Chambers, but going to have to disagree with you 1000x.

If any of the sentence above was true, I highly doubt Ainge would've cut him. Hunter isn't really that good, and neither is Young.

Likewise Monk, and hey, that's what makes this place great.
I'm talking from a ceiling standpoint. You could very well be right that Ainge wouldn't cut anyone with possible 6th man potential, but I think at this point, none of them were going to see the floor anyway and James is simply the better fit from a salary standpoint if we try to get a trade done sooner than later.
I just think it's pretty likely Young won't be on this team in 12 months time and Hunter was the better player. I think of the two, RJ is more likely to have a legitimate NBA career.
I hope James proves me wrong, and his age gives light to some hope. I just see critical flaws in his personality, attitude and game that don't appear to be 'fixable'.

I really hope he does prove me wrong though.

I can see where you stand on the issue with Young's attitude. I just hope him making the team at least opens his eyes.

Where do you think Hunter is going to go next? My guess is on Warriors.

Yeah I'm not sure. I think the 76ers would be a good spot. Young roster, he'd get some time. Perhaps the T Wolves and Thibadeu could get at him on the defensive end.
I don't think he's going to a veteran squad. If he did, then yeah I'm with you on the Warriors or perhaps the Spurs. They like smart kids that can shoot.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Well, I was very wrong.  Thought many of the factors discussed here and elsewhere pointed to RJ as the favorite, but Jimmy lives to see another day.

I was way off on this one too. Couldn't see any reason why we'd keep Young over Hunter. It may be for salary purposes or it may be because they think Young has the higher ceiling.
I'm shocked either way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2016, 02:11:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I was way off on this one too. Couldn't see any reason why we'd keep Young over Hunter. It may be for salary purposes or it may be because they think Young has the higher ceiling.
I'm shocked either way.

Great minds think alike.  Maybe he garnered a little more interest when they were dangled a few days ago? Not sure.  I suppose it won't matter down the road, though, as others have said.  Just surprising. Maybe Jimmy has something we don't know about yet. 

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:22 AM »

Offline Rob from Perth

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Not a surprise, but we waived RJ. Happy birthday buddy.  :-\

RJ's going to find it hard to listen to Blink 182 for a while I'm guessing:

"And that's about the time they walked away from me,
Nobody likes you when you're 23"

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2016, 02:21:13 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Do you think pride played a part in it? Ainge selected Young with a higher pick but also a Brooklyn pick. Perhaps he is less willing to let a Brooklyn pick go than any other?

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Do you think pride played a part in it? Ainge selected Young with a higher pick but also a Brooklyn pick. Perhaps he is less willing to let a Brooklyn pick go than any other?

Sure, Ainge would be the most motivated to see Young succeed over RJ.  Maybe he's hoping for improved seasons from Rozier and Young. 

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2016, 05:51:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
ainge said earlier that young was playing and shooting really well in practice
that was the tell
i thought he was priming the pump for a trade and maybe he was
in the end it came down to frame,weight distribution, age and stroke

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
James Young has 9th/10th man on the roster potential. RJ Hunter is a scorer with 6th man potential. If this were for basketball reasons, it was a terrible decision.
Ultimately I'd say it was for salary reasons. More flexibility.

James Young is trash. Utter trash.

I respect you a lot of Chambers, but going to have to disagree with you 1000x.

If any of the sentence above was true, I highly doubt Ainge would've cut him. Hunter isn't really that good, and neither is Young.

Likewise Monk, and hey, that's what makes this place great.
I'm talking from a ceiling standpoint. You could very well be right that Ainge wouldn't cut anyone with possible 6th man potential, but I think at this point, none of them were going to see the floor anyway and James is simply the better fit from a salary standpoint if we try to get a trade done sooner than later.
I just think it's pretty likely Young won't be on this team in 12 months time and Hunter was the better player. I think of the two, RJ is more likely to have a legitimate NBA career.
I hope James proves me wrong, and his age gives light to some hope. I just see critical flaws in his personality, attitude and game that don't appear to be 'fixable'.

I really hope he does prove me wrong though.

I can see where you stand on the issue with Young's attitude. I just hope him making the team at least opens his eyes.

Where do you think Hunter is going to go next? My guess is on Warriors.

I almost think being cut would have been great for Young's career, but hopefully almost being cut lights a fire under him. It seems like it worked this summer (as far as getting in better shape)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2016, 07:32:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Here's the long and short of it.

I like RJ Hunter as a player. He's heady, shows basketball awareness and tries hard. You can tell he's a coaches' kid with a decent basketball IQ. He's easy to root for. But he simply doesn't have the athleticism to play in the NBA. His lateral quickness is average, he can't create his shot, he's too skinny and weak to not get pushed out of position and his team defensive skills are mediocre. If he could have proved that he's a sharpshooter then he may have had a role off the bench but it didn't fall in his last year in college, last year or this preseason. It looks good coming out of his hands but it doesn't fall enough. If he could have transformed his body this offseason so he's not getting bounced around on the court then perhaps Ainge could have waited on him. But he's 23 and neither his body nor his shot have impressed or improved. There's simply no more time to wait on him given his age. It could be - in fact, it's likely - that RJ Hunter has peaked as a player and will never get any better. I don't think it has anything to do with effort. It just may be that RJ Hunter is as good as he can be but it's just not good enough.

Young, on the other hand, worked harder this offseason than he ever has before and it showed. His body looks better. While his BBIQ still isn't great you could see at least some improvement in his game. Even though Young is not Jaylen Brown, he's still physically more gifted than Hunter. He's almost 2 full years younger than Hunter. Young showed progress, determination and perhaps has finally learned how to be a pro. It's not that expect either of these guys to stick in the league very long but it's hard not to argue that Young is still the better prospect than Hunter. It's harder to root for Young because he's been lazy for two years while you can tell Hunter has busted his butt. But a motivated James Young is simply a better prospect than a motivated RJ Hunter.

Contracts notwithstanding any "tie" between these two guys goes to Young. Hunter didn't outplay Young this year. We don't know what happened in practice and Hunter didn't prove it on the court during the preseason. So the big issue in keeping Young over Hunter was his contract. It's a bit more and has one fewer year. Ainge valued potential over these contract considerations and that's probably the correct decision when you're selecting your 15th man.
TP Granath.  I don't think RJH has peaked out yet, but you can see where it will likely peak out in the next year or so, he is 23 already.  I also agree if he had filled out more this off-season, he might have gotten one more chance.  The kid actually has fairly broad shoulders so he could have put on more muscle in the upper body.  Young, OTOH, did add that much-needed muscle and he had a pretty good SL, not just scoring but rebounding and finding loose balls.

James Young may yet be out of the league in 2 years, but RJ is not a clearly better prospect.

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have posted on several of these threads that Young seemed like the higher ceiling player as well as probably being a little ahead of Hunter currently.  I am curious to see what Young does with this chance.  It's probably his last on the Celtics.  I think at worst he will have a Gerald Green career (except no slam dunk championship).  The problem is that he probably is not going to do much this season (but neither would Hunter).

Hunter was a reach pick as was Young.  Ainge had so many picks, I completely expected him to reach and take some changes.  Most aren't going to work out.  Hunter was very late pick.  I am all for taking a chance with it (give the small school guy a shot).  He just didn't develop physically as he needed to do.  It didn't pan out.  No big.

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If nobody picks him up can he report to celtics d league team?