Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18964 times)

Re: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
god forbid Ainge has to earn his paycheck.   you won in 2008 you fat ****.

oh wow.

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
You may have just set the record for the post with the least contribution to a thread.

I am not sure whether congratulations are in order.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Not at all surprised by the decision to take Young. A future throw in in the next big trade. Has no future in this team's rotation. Lacks the hunger to excel.

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
James Young has 9th/10th man on the roster potential. RJ Hunter is a scorer with 6th man potential. If this were for basketball reasons, it was a terrible decision.
Ultimately I'd say it was for salary reasons. More flexibility.

James Young is trash. Utter trash.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hope Hunter gets picked up by the Clippers. Was their pick. Poetic justice.

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Today was RJ's birthday (and Jaylen's too). This is so harsh. So cold. I feel so bad for RJ

It's reality.

But if we were able to consolidate some picks we wouldn't have an excess of players problem.

There's no reason a team should be drafting 5 players...this isn't football here.

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Here's the long and short of it.

I like RJ Hunter as a player. He's heady, shows basketball awareness and tries hard. You can tell he's a coaches' kid with a decent basketball IQ. He's easy to root for. But he simply doesn't have the athleticism to play in the NBA. His lateral quickness is average, he can't create his shot, he's too skinny and weak to not get pushed out of position and his team defensive skills are mediocre. If he could have proved that he's a sharpshooter then he may have had a role off the bench but it didn't fall in his last year in college, last year or this preseason. It looks good coming out of his hands but it doesn't fall enough. If he could have transformed his body this offseason so he's not getting bounced around on the court then perhaps Ainge could have waited on him. But he's 23 and neither his body nor his shot have impressed or improved. There's simply no more time to wait on him given his age. It could be - in fact, it's likely - that RJ Hunter has peaked as a player and will never get any better. I don't think it has anything to do with effort. It just may be that RJ Hunter is as good as he can be but it's just not good enough.

Young, on the other hand, worked harder this offseason than he ever has before and it showed. His body looks better. While his BBIQ still isn't great you could see at least some improvement in his game. Even though Young is not Jaylen Brown, he's still physically more gifted than Hunter. He's almost 2 full years younger than Hunter. Young showed progress, determination and perhaps has finally learned how to be a pro. It's not that expect either of these guys to stick in the league very long but it's hard not to argue that Young is still the better prospect than Hunter. It's harder to root for Young because he's been lazy for two years while you can tell Hunter has busted his butt. But a motivated James Young is simply a better prospect than a motivated RJ Hunter.

Contracts notwithstanding any "tie" between these two guys goes to Young. Hunter didn't outplay Young this year. We don't know what happened in practice and Hunter didn't prove it on the court during the preseason. So the big issue in keeping Young over Hunter was his contract. It's a bit more and has one fewer year. Ainge valued potential over these contract considerations and that's probably the correct decision when you're selecting your 15th man.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Re: james young makes roster
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Today was RJ's birthday (and Jaylen's too). This is so harsh. So cold. I feel so bad for RJ

It's reality.

But if we were able to consolidate some picks we wouldn't have an excess of players problem.

There's no reason a team should be drafting 5 players...this isn't football here.

Not really.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:54:34 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Don't think I can recall a time when there's been so much discussion over the #15 slot on a team. We're talking about guys who can't crack the second team lineup in intra-squad practice scrimmages.

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
You may have just set the record for the post with the least contribution to a thread.

I am not sure whether congratulations are in order.  :P

It is so aggressive and angry hard to not admire it

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2016, 09:18:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
James Young has 9th/10th man on the roster potential. RJ Hunter is a scorer with 6th man potential. If this were for basketball reasons, it was a terrible decision.

I respect you a lot of Chambers, but going to have to disagree with you 1000x.

If any of the sentence above was true, I highly doubt Ainge would've cut him. Hunter isn't really that good, and neither is Young.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »

Offline takeittotherim

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
The reason there is so much talk is because these 2 players have more potential than the average 15th man on an nba roster.  I think this is the best thing that could have happened for RJ's career.  Last year he was stymied by having to play with Turner who refused to pass to him even when he was wide open.  That put extra pressure on RJ to either shoot or make a play when he eventually did see the ball.

This year (barring injuries) due to the team depth, he would have been buried on the bench again. So I think if he can get with the right team and have consistent minutes, he'll flourish.  He has demonstrated he has the ability to make plays for others.

« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2016, 09:42:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

If any of the sentence above was true, I highly doubt Ainge would've cut him. Hunter isn't really that good, and neither is Young.

Likewise Monk, and hey, that's what makes this place great.
I'm talking from a ceiling standpoint. You could very well be right that Ainge wouldn't cut anyone with possible 6th man potential, but I think at this point, none of them were going to see the floor anyway and James is simply the better fit from a salary standpoint if we try to get a trade done sooner than later.
I just think it's pretty likely Young won't be on this team in 12 months time and Hunter was the better player. I think of the two, RJ is more likely to have a legitimate NBA career.
I hope James proves me wrong, and his age gives light to some hope. I just see critical flaws in his personality, attitude and game that don't appear to be 'fixable'.

I really hope he does prove me wrong though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Likewise Monk, and hey, that's what makes this place great.
I'm talking from a ceiling standpoint. You could very well be right that Ainge wouldn't cut anyone with possible 6th man potential, but I think at this point, none of them were going to see the floor anyway and James is simply the better fit from a salary standpoint if we try to get a trade done sooner than later.
I just think it's pretty likely Young won't be on this team in 12 months time and Hunter was the better player. I think of the two, RJ is more likely to have a legitimate NBA career.
I hope James proves me wrong, and his age gives light to some hope. I just see critical flaws in his personality, attitude and game that don't appear to be 'fixable'.

I really hope he does prove me wrong though.

I can see where you stand on the issue with Young's attitude. I just hope him making the team at least opens his eyes.

Where do you think Hunter is going to go next? My guess is on Warriors.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different