Author Topic: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut  (Read 18933 times)

Re: James Young makes roster, RJ Hunter cut
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm speechless.  The guy was drafted in the first round and three years later couldn't even garner a future second round pick in a trade.  He has the opposite of potential.  The only way this makes sense is if he has a dossier of photos of Austin Ainge at an Eyes Wide Shut style party.

It makes complete sense given the other option, which was to cut him and keep Hunter.  Young is still only 20 years old, and played better in the preseason than Hunter, who is 4 years older than him.

Add to that the fact Hunter is only 185 pounds for a guy who is listed at 6'5" and you really have to wonder what he has been doing.

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I found myself rooting for Young. I wasn't impressed with either and at least Young is young.

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Add to that the fact Hunter is only 185 pounds for a guy who is listed at 6'5" and you really have to wonder what he has been doing.

Not necessarily laziness. Some guys just have more trouble adding weight.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
god forbid Ainge has to earn his paycheck.   you won in 2008 you fat Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
People need to stop overreacting to the quote...

Danny says this is the first time James has really earned something in his life.

James responds (but no one wanted to post it here):
James Young: I was too comfortable. Too satisfied being where I was. ... I needed a kick in the face.
https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/790613829143162881

Ainge told Young this was first time he earned something. Young's response? "I've always been better than a lot of people growing up."
https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/790630762567593984

Stop saying that this means James will be gone next year, and that no one wants him, that it's a bad sign from the organization, and that he's trash.

This exchange literally means one thing: James earned his spot.

Up till now, James has been gifted with the physique, the wingspan, the body type, the potential, the length, the physical tools. That allowed him to breeze through high school, through college, where people saw his tools and then wet their pants out of excitement for his potential. He was always better than everyone he played with, in high school and in college. His cocky attitude came with him to the NBA, but it wouldn't work here. When James was a rookie, he didn't tell the training staff he had a calf injury in preseason because he thought he was good enough to the point where he didn't need their help. He resisted going to the D-League because he thought he was good enough and didn't need to play there. He was spoiled, essentially, by himself, and by how much better he was (compared to everyone else) before he got to the NBA.

All Danny is saying here is, essentially, that James worked hard for his spot this time. And he got it. It's the first time he's earned anything, merely because of the fact that, up till now, everything was given to him because of how easily basketball was for him due to his physical tools. That's it! Now, James actually had to work on his game, and he did! He finally earned something! End of story. There's literally nothing else that you can draw from this, nothing else that you can say about it, even if you wanna throw shade at Danny because you're that kind of guy, or because you hate James, or you wanted RJ, or whatever. Stop trying to always make things bigger and worse than they need to be.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
god forbid Ainge has to earn his paycheck.   you won in 2008 you fat ****.

What's up with that comment bro?

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
:o
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good for James. He still has a shot to become a rotation player at this level, we will see if he takes advantage.

RJ has a nice shot but I'm not convinced he can hack it physically at the NBA level. I wish him the best.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Congrats to James Young

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
RJ Hunter looked like the more well-rounded player, but he just doesn't have the handles needed to become a perimeter player.

Didn't matter so much in college, but he'll only make it in the NBA if he's on teams who can use a catch-and-shoot role player.  Doesn't fit into Brad's versatile offense/lineup (especially considering that he can't really switch on defense).

And for those doubting Young, do you remember how bad Bradley looked his first couple years?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So what's the final fifteen man roster?

Someone please tell me Ryan Kelly isn't on it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
So what's the final fifteen man roster?

Someone please tell me Ryan Kelly isn't on it.

Ryan Kelly isn't on it.

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Johnson
Rozier
Smart
Brown
Jerebko
Zeller
Jackson
Young
Green
Mickey
Olynyk

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Even though every young player is cognizant of it, I think being in the actual situation of potentially being cut  is a real awakening for these kids.  Probably especially because they've always been good at basketball and have never been cut from a team in their lives.

I hope that this experience shows Young how he needs to keep putting forth maximum effort to improve himself, otherwise he might find himself off of the C's, or out of the NBA for that matter, within even just a year.

According to Ainge: "James won the job. He played well. Day in and day out, the last six weeks, he won the job," said Ainge, who also challenged Young, the 17th pick in the 2014 draft who just turned 21, to show more progress in his third year."

I guess we'll have to go with that.  I was honestly rather indifferent on who we kept - I don't expect either of them to be a key rotational player on any NBA roster.  RJ seemed to be more skilled overall at this stage, but he has too many limitations.  Wish him the best.

As a side note, the season starts in 2 days!  Stoked to get this season started.

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2016, 07:37:23 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Early nominee for worst post of the year....

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Even though every young player is cognizant of it, I think being in the actual situation of potentially being cut  is a real awakening for these kids.  Probably especially because they've always been good at basketball and have never been cut from a team in their lives.

I hope that this experience shows Young how he needs to keep putting forth maximum effort to improve himself, otherwise he might find himself off of the C's, or out of the NBA for that matter, within even just a year.

According to Ainge: "James won the job. He played well. Day in and day out, the last six weeks, he won the job," said Ainge, who also challenged Young, the 17th pick in the 2014 draft who just turned 21, to show more progress in his third year."

I guess we'll have to go with that.  I was honestly rather indifferent on who we kept - I don't expect either of them to be a key rotational player on any NBA roster.  RJ seemed to be more skilled overall at this stage, but he has too many limitations.  Wish him the best.

As a side note, the season starts in 2 days!  Stoked to get this season started.

As much as people have been !@#$%^! on Young, one thing I can respect about Young is he impressed Ainge and Stevens well enough, that they both made the final decision to cut R.J.

What can you say about Young when you compare him to Fab Melo, who was given plenty of chances in the season to show he had something?

I wish Hunter well. He seems like a nice and cool guy, especially when hes making jokes in the locker room and building chemistry, but I never ever felt like Hunter was a good fit.

Only because I firmly believe Young has a great future in the NBA. Maybe I'm biased, but I still love the name we used to have..

Celtics going Young and Smart!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different